Any way to select an officer?

sarge945

Any way to select an officer?

Post by sarge945 »

So I was in a situation earlier today, where I had 2 officers of the same rank. One was a seasoned officer, who had been on ~5-6 missions with the squad. The other one had only just become an officer.

The game arbitrarily determined that the new officer was the mission lead. I assume it did this because he had higher will.

I would like to be able to select which officer I want on a mission, or at the very least, have officer selection take into account the service history of the selected units.
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Any way to select an officer?

Post by deaconivory »

The first one you choose for the mission will be the leader. Just always choose the one you want to lead first.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

I thought who was squad officer was selected by:

1. Highest officer rank
2. Highest will of equal ranked officers

And AFAIK this only happens at mission start and an officer not selected never gets the officer perks even if the originally selected officer evacs, is incapacitated, or is killed.
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

deaconivory wrote:The first one you choose for the mission will be the leader. Just always choose the one you want to lead first.
I tried kicking the first one out, and re adding him to my squad. It made no difference
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

The game loops through each squaddie and asks the following series of questions:
  1. Is it the squad member an Officer? If yes, then continue, else skip this member.
  2. Does the member have a higher Officer Rank than any previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  3. Does the member have a higher normal Rank than the previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  4. Does the member have a higher Will stat than the previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  5. Has the member been on more missions than the previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  6. Compare ObjectID of the member against the previous highest member. If the member has a lower number, they are markest as highest.
After looping through all squad members, the member that is still tagged as the highest ranking officer is it.

Shorthand of that is:
  1. Highest Officer Rank
  2. Highest Standard Rank
  3. Highest Will Stat
  4. Most Missions
  5. Joined XCOM earliest
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

Tuhalu wrote:The game loops through each squaddie and asks the following series of questions:
  1. Is it the squad member an Officer? If yes, then continue, else skip this member.
  2. Does the member have a higher Officer Rank than any previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  3. Does the member have a higher normal Rank than the previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  4. Does the member have a higher Will stat than the previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  5. Has the member been on more missions than the previous highest member? If highest, mark as highest. If lower, then skip. If equal, then continue.
  6. Compare ObjectID of the member against the previous highest member. If the member has a lower number, they are markest as highest.
After looping through all squad members, the member that is still tagged as the highest ranking officer is it.

Shorthand of that is:
  1. Highest Officer Rank
  2. Highest Standard Rank
  3. Highest Will Stat
  4. Most Missions
  5. Joined XCOM earliest
There should probably be a check added "How many total missions has every other squad member been on with this officer"

I think that will significantly improve this algorithm. Should be the second thing that is checked, since it's the most important.