Thank You Pavonis

ginyu549

Thank You Pavonis

Post by ginyu549 »

Hello to everyone!

I just finished my first full play through of LW2 (Veteran save scummer - at least on the first go-round) and I just wanted to say to everyone at Pavonis: Thank You.

I don't know exactly why but I have really liked the modern iterations of X-Com (I never played the old-school PC versions). Still, in both cases I have felt like there was something missing. I grew up playing games on my commodore 64 and while those games were cheesy and their graphics and sound "quaint" they weren't afraid of adding so much depth that you could choke on it. There was no pressure to be a mass-market appealing game in those days, on that platform, so things weren't what I would consider "dumbed-down" to fit your attention span. You had to develop your attention span, and change the way you looked at some of those games to really find that kind of depth enjoyable. And when I did, I found many games I thought were boring at first to be rich and rewarding in ways I'd never even hoped they would be. Maybe that is an unfair thing to say, maybe I am just remembering things through the lens of nostalgia, but those are my feelings now.

Long War 2 has given me the same sense of nostalgia and enjoyment that I felt from those games.

I really liked the vanilla experience of X-Com 2, but again, to me something was missing. It felt and played almost exactly like X-Com EU/EW, like there was this story of a guerrilla war kind of superficially wrapped around the mechanics and plot progression that mirrored the first game. I was excited to play through a different kind of war against the aliens, but in the end it was almost exactly the same plot/progression. It didn't feel like a guerrilla war at all.

Thanks to your continuing hard work though, not only am I rewarded with what now feels like a "complete" game, with a much more in-depth guerrilla war feel to it, but one which also gives me the good feels of an old-school game I would have played the s**t out of as a teenager. Thank you all for all your hard work on this. I found it very enjoyable (even in 1.2).

It seems like everyone's main complaint on these forums is the strategy layer and the mechanics of "vigilance", "liberation" and "facility leads". Personally that is the part I like the most from what you added. Sure, I read the stuff in the commanders quarters, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. I just approached the strategy layer as if I were a commander fighting a guerrilla war against an alien adversary, did missions, and basically played the game rather than digging too much into the mechanics of things. I didn't have any trouble finding liberation missions, or facilities. I wouldn't say there were no "problems" for me in the strategy layer, but they were all part of the game experience to me, and I found it quite enjoyable.

I don't really have any complaints that I don't see being addressed in 1.3, so I'll eagerly await another campaign when that comes out.

Cheers! and Thanks again for your great work!
caseywills

Re: Thank You Pavonis

Post by caseywills »

Ditto