Flashbang mk2 and mk3 are needed

bingo12345

Flashbang mk2 and mk3 are needed

Post by bingo12345 »

Flashbang resistance will be out on strong enemies. Flashbang mk2 and mk3 with higher chance of success are needed. What's your thought?

Ex) Chance of success example.
Flashbang 100
Fb mk2 125
Fb mk3 150
Dlareh

Re: Flashbang mk2 and mk3 are needed

Post by Dlareh »

I think people should stop insisting that a particular unresistable or near-100% chance to stun certain high-level enemies is necessary.

It was way too much of a crutch. Certain enemies are dangerous and that is intentional. Find other ways to deal with them, that's your challenge.
Excitement continues to build as city centers across the globe prepare for the latest incarnation of Groundhog Day.
brunodema

Post by brunodema »

Wow, I actually think that it would be more fun and challenging if they got nerfed instead.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

Even post nerf they still look like one of the strongest grenades in the game, and with the sting grenade upgrade I think they're definitely the strongest. Part of that is that most of the other grenades are so weak, but even then, it's odd that a free grenade you start the game is so strong.

Flashbangs (and incendiaries) scale incredibly well with enemy strength, because their primary purpose is to disable. So the stronger the enemy gets, the more effective the flashbang gets. Damage focused grenades get weaker relatively as enemy HP goes up. So as the game progresses the power imbalance gets even worse. Hopefully the new resistances help with that, but I kind of doubt it's enough because the majority of enemies you fight will still not resist flashbangs.

If there's a 1.4, I hope it pays some special love to the grenades in general.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

Adding resistances to aliens and then adding items that circumvent said resistances doesn't really do anything for the game. It just makes it more complex. It's best if you just choose one or the other. It's all moddable in the config, after all.

People are making a huge deal about flashbang resistances, but the list doesn't seem that bad?

Code: Select all

+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=Gatekeeper, Chance=75)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=MutonM2_LW, Chance=20)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=MutonM3_LW, Chance=67)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=AdvPsiWitchM3, Chance=100)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=AdvGeneralM1, Chance=50)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=AdvGeneralM2, Chance=75)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=SectoidM2_LW, Chance=33)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=ArchonM2_LW, Chance=33)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=ViperKing, Chance=100)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=BerserkerQueen, Chance=100)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=ArchonKing,Chance=100)
That's a really short list, especially if you don't play with rulers. Snakes and troopers of all varieties are absent, which are the categories I care about most. The generals are quasi-unique "boss" monsters that probably needed the resistances to begin with, and only show up in special circumstances. Gatekeepers and Sectoid Commanders kind of need it to avoid trivializing their mass resurrect power, and Mark 3 Codices are so late game that you will have plenty of tools. The only one that might impact my game at all are the M2 Mutons, which have grenades and show up just early enough to be non-trivial, but I usually suppress them anyway.
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

No, we do not need more flashbangs. We need a wide array of solutions and tactical options on missions, not a general "control a few enemies for a while" button. Think about real military and police operations for a moment - they are using flashbangs but this is only one device not the Ultimate Powerhouse of Doom.

We need a lot of experianced soldiers with a variety of weapons, grenades (including flashbangs) and other gear to deal with ADVENT forces and aliens.

We need a lot of missions with good infiltration times, a deep roster of XCOM agents, liberated Regions to support the Resistance and a clear understanding of Vigilance, ADVENT strenght, Intel gathering mechanics (DISPLAYED IN THE GAME at the relevant sections of the standard gameplay).

I mean XCOM Archives are good but not enough for an average player.
rakoon79

Post by rakoon79 »

Why would we want a tool to invalidate a new system that's just put into the place even without giving it a proper shot at least. I think at best, your argument should be about tweaking numbers, not an introduction of new gear that makes late-game enemies' resistance obsolete
darkerevent

Post by darkerevent »

Psi Grenades from LW1 (essentially a super flashbang available only to psi users) would be an interesting option to see at some point imo.

A Codex-inspired utility grenade which has the effect of depleting the ammo of targets in a large area could also be interesting.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

darkerevent wrote:Psi Grenades from LW1 (essentially a super flashbang available only to psi users) would be an interesting option to see at some point imo.

A Codex-inspired utility grenade which has the effect of depleting the ammo of targets in a large area could also be interesting.
I think the EMP grenade should just force an enemy reload, I think I've suggested that before. Can reduce/remove the damage it does to mechs to compensate. I suspect EMPs will always be useless as long as they do nothing to 90% of the enemies on the map.
bingo12345

Post by bingo12345 »

mk2 and mk3 need cost to produce. balancing FB is easier if they actually need cost.