Lothing for the new patch 1.3

TheCiroth

Re: Lothing for the new patch 1.3

Post by TheCiroth »

na, Gimrah has turned me off of the mod with his representation of Pavonis. Regardless of the fact he isn't an employee directly, he still represents the company and should be accountable as such. I am not likely to bother with this mod anymore because of him. All he would of had to do to add on to his comment (or not said a damn thing) was perhaps it was bad RNG on your part to have Every pod stack on top of each other. Perhaps we are as testers so good, maybe we overlooked something but not likely or any combo there of. Or JUST had something more to say besides an insult.

Anyway, I am very critical of stealth as is most of my viewers. It was what made LW2 enjoyable. The fact they nerfed it below the ground is very sad and frankly most of my viewers are mad at it. All they needed to do was add a LITTLE more time to the detection time of most missions and it would of solved the issue of most stealth missions. If most missions didn't have a 4 day timer to get into, we wouldn't stealthed so much. All they had to do was make a slight adjustment to the detection timers so that you had an average of 6 days not 4 to detect when you have 6+ on intel.

To fix the 0% supply raids, all they had to do was add bodies to SOME retaliation missions. The one where you can do a full clear of the map. Problem solved. What I feel that they fail to look at is the REASON why things are being used. They look directly at the problem, at the tree not the forest. In their attempts to fix the tree, they burnt the forest around the tree. Now they need to fix the forest around the tree.

Regarding the "Auto rez" I've had advent rez with 0 sectoids or anyone else with rez on a mission. But I could be wrong in my memory. Having sectoids rez on Yellow alert frankly is bad. If they are not active then they should not actually do anything besides run to you.
In my humble opinion it was a very risky decision to rely on rookies to hit 2 out of 4 shots on the Sectoid. A better proposition is to just throw a flashbang, kill the zombie and possibly wound with one shot the Sectoid and with the rest go on overwatch.
Oh first thing I did was Flashbang the active sectoid. Didn't drop the zombie. The sectoid actually did mind spin on one my of my guys. Also, they were not rookies. I had squaddies that missed their shots that were above 75%. I don't expect them to kill on the first turn. Flashbangs really are not that great as they will still hit and crit their 13% shots.
Your opinions which deviate from anything other than "this mod is amazing, I love it" will be buried on this forum

Seems like it. I expected it from everyone, just those who represent Pavonis need to learn that what they say matters which some don't think they do.

The balance testers at this point are so good at the game, they think it is balanced. Maybe it is by the math and their play but the average player are not going to think it is balanced at all. They still haven't addressed the issues of Advent having deadshot aim when red fogged and flashbanged. At least they shouldn't be allowed to crit when flashbanged (same with XCOM). But that is another story.
jkure2

Post by jkure2 »

I'm loving 1.3.

I totally understand that you might experience frustration if your tactical combat skills are rusty. If you were a heavy stealth player, it probably feels weird running timed combat missions, especially the 8 turn ones. I'm still having some trouble. Of course, with Xcom, the trouble is what makes the game fun. I do wish the 8 turn missions were bumped to 10 turns (easily editable I'm sure).

But, honestly, it seems like you came in here looking for a fight, trying to provoke people so you can back up and act insulted. Your tone in the first post isn't conducive to worthwhile discussion.

My suggestion is to step away from the game for a couple of days, then come back and try again, taking your turns very slowly. Or even drop to veteran for a bit, just to get your tactical legs back

Edit: also you are absolutely wrong about flashbangs not killing zombies (make sure to flash the sectoid), as well as about advent reviving as a zombie without sectoids on the mission. You likely couldn't see the sectoid (they can resurrect from yellow alert and fog if they see the corpse), and you either missed or are misremembering regarding the flashbang.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

Dude, I don't think you even realize it, but you are being way more intense, projecting way more resentment, and making these things way more personal than most people do when they are talking about religion and politics. You know, things that matter, and are genuinely worth spending negative emotion on.

Chill out, it's just a game.
Phenotype

Post by Phenotype »

I've been playing 1.3 all day and I still think it is too early to form a strong opinion. Enjoying it a lot so far though :) .
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

TheCiroth wrote:na, Gimrah has turned me off of the mod with his representation of Pavonis. Regardless of the fact he isn't an employee directly, he still represents the company and should be accountable as such. I am not likely to bother with this mod anymore because of him. All he would of had to do to add on to his comment (or not said a damn thing) was perhaps it was bad RNG on your part to have Every pod stack on top of each other. Perhaps we are as testers so good, maybe we overlooked something but not likely or any combo there of. Or JUST had something more to say besides an insult.
I wish I could just throw Arnold Schwarzenegger sound clips at you until you go away forever.

Also, there is no 'auto-rez'. It's a Sectoid off-screen resurrecting a Psi Zombie. It is not the ADVENT doing it themselves ala ABA2. It was part of 1.2 as well.
MacroNova

Post by MacroNova »

It's more than a game - it's ego and identity. Especially for streamers and content creators. We can't all be NorthernLion, who is truly awful at xcom and still somehow considered fabulously entertaining. Everyone else has fallen into the trap of believing that the only content worth watching is ironman legend.
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

jkure2 wrote:I'm loving 1.3.

Edit: also you are absolutely wrong about flashbangs not killing zombies (make sure to flash the sectoid), as well as about advent reviving as a zombie without sectoids on the mission. You likely couldn't see the sectoid (they can resurrect from yellow alert and fog if they see the corpse), and you either missed or are misremembering regarding the flashbang.

I didn't miss the Sectoid. It was in the middle of the flash bang. Said sectoid used mind spin so, there was no way it was that sectoid that I was shooting at. So yes, I didn't see the secoid. I also said that I probably didn't remember correctly about the rez.

But its not worth it. I've said my peace about how they went the wrong way in balance to satisfy a small voice (a loud one but a small voice) in the game and how I feel that it was bad. I might of come across a little more aggressive then I intended but that's because I tend not to use fluff words to make nice nice and that I have to dance around an issue. Sorry, some times forget I have to do that. Same mistake the tester made with me. But I had every intention of coming back to it later UNTIL he insulted me. He said sorry yes but he clearly didn't think he did anything wrong.
It's more than a game - it's ego and identity. Especially for streamers and content creators. We can't all be NorthernLion, who is truly awful at xcom and still somehow considered fabulously entertaining. Everyone else has fallen into the trap of believing that the only content worth watching is ironman legend.
Oh I know I am not good enough for Ironman Legend and I don't put myself as such. Perhaps maybe since the small group that had their temper tantrum about stealth wasn't so loud about their hate of it, they wouldn't of nerfed it so bad. Perhaps when someone disagrees with it, you don't all pile on said person. We are allowed to disagree with it. Still doesn't mean I like the mod. Even watching streamers play it, I find it to be the wrong balance still.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

Yes. For people who are trying to do this quasi-professionally, I'd say that the "chill out, it's just game" advice is even more important than ever. People want to watch other people having a good time. That's why mediocre-but-cheerful streamers have success. Even the more technically oriented exhibitionist gamers usually have to be reasonably upbeat to be successful. No one wants to watch someone be negative and not have a good time. It's like being an entertainer is hard or something.

Of course, you do have people whose bread and butter is over the top rage, but the appeal to that is that everyone knows that it's just an act.People who break their keyboards out of actual pique will get lots of views from atrocity tourists for that one video and no other traffic, because no one wants to watch an angry dweeb who can't handle the stress of video games.

EDIT: I posted this in response to MacroNova, before TheCiroth posted, and that changes the context a bit. Ciroth, the remarks about angry dweebs were intended to be in the context of Macronova's comments about creator attitudes in general, not you specifically. I do think you need to chillax a bit, but you're probably an okay dude in general and I don't think you're in keyboard breaking territory.
jkure2

Post by jkure2 »

If you're so upset because someone who tested balance made a joke (and it was funny too, coming in here talking about how unlucky you are with 13% crits when the clear root of the problem is suboptimal tactical play and a misunderstanding of the mechanics), then why hang around? He even apologized, which is more than should be necessary.

The "Oh well I was going to do X but then you did Y, so I'm not going to do X anymore and it's all your fault" pattern sounds like a really annoying and unstable ex girlfriend of mine, to be honest.

I think the majority of opinions I've seen are in favor of the 1.3 changes, but if you want to calmly and rationally discuss that, then let's talk about it. But my opinion is still that you should slow down and maybe drop a level for a few hours. Your thoughts?
Last edited by jkure2 on Mon May 15, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frei_Ninjesus

Post by Frei_Ninjesus »

It's not the what (in this case, complaining or disagreeing) but the how. You come across as the aggresive "I wanna speak to the manager" type. I've seen people post their disagreement with the mechanics of the game in a very respectful and non-confrontational way, and they get replied to in the same manner. Just be cool man, at the end of the day it´s just a game. And remember you can usually mistake someone´s tone in their written speech for the complete opposite of their intended message, so I don´t think that whole "i don´t wanna play anymore cuz that tester was mean to me" really goes well here.
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

For anyone who is concerned about the viability of stealth in 1.3, let me reassure you that stealth missions are alive and well. They are definitely not the same missions from before, but they are still very doable in low-alert regions. Be aware that you may find yourself in a real bind if you don't manage your time wisely, the reinforcements are coming and you better not be caught out in the open, too far from the Evac.

In my current Veteran 1.3 campaign I managed 4 stealth mission over the course of about 6 weeks (approx 12 missions), on two of them my solders evaced without firing a shot, but with enemies hot on their trail, and the other two were stealthed to the objective, the flare was thrown and there was a running firefight to the evac.

They were all attempted in regions with 1-2 Advent Strength. I fully anticipate that as the game progresses they will become far too challenging for my skill level, but they are not completely eliminated from the game by any means. It will just take a lot more skill and serious time management skills to pull it off on a regular basis.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

@The Ciroth -

I think you might have a botched installation of your mod. Either that or I have to really watch the stream to make sure your memory is not failiing you.

Straight from XComLW_Overhaul.ini (version 1.3):

Code: Select all

+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=Gatekeeper, Chance=75)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=MutonM2_LW, Chance=20)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=MutonM3_LW, Chance=67)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=AdvPsiWitchM3, Chance=100)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=AdvGeneralM1, Chance=50)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=AdvGeneralM2, Chance=75)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=SectoidM2_LW, Chance=33)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=ArchonM2_LW, Chance=33)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=ViperKing, Chance=100)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=BerserkerQueen, Chance=100)
+ENEMY_FLASHBANG_RESIST=(UnitName=ArchonKing,Chance=100)

SectoidM2_LW is a Sectoid commander. In other words, flashbangs should 100% work on ordinary Sectoids, as they did in version 1.2.

Let me stress on that - if the Flashbang actually landed on the Sectoid (keep in mind that its radius was reduced by 1), the Sectoid should have been Disorientated and all its psionic abilities - nullified. I will need to watch the stream to check whether the Sectoid was in the area of effect of the flashbang or not.

But from a technical point of view there is no way the Sectoid could have ingnored the Disorientation effect.

Regarding Psionic aliens resurrecting Advent soldiers on yellow alert, it was also in version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. It was/is really awkward when a Gatekeeper does it, since it also has an area of effect damage.

If you can remember playing against zombies with no Psionic aliens on a mission, please point me to a stream/video so we may check it out. A savegame would also work.

Are you sure some of the extra mods you are using are not tampering/overriding some of the features of the Long War 2 mod?
Wardy2005

Post by Wardy2005 »

So I took a look at the stream and like I said earlier I think its a combination of not being used to the new format and tactical errors. I think veteran is an appropriate level for your skill and I would suggest watching legend players to learn where you can improve. Blaming the game design for mistakes you are making is pointless.

Quick list of possible tactical uses that could help you:

-More cc (I saw limited flash/smoke/suppression)
-When pulling a pod limit movement until you can eliminate it and make sure your ambushes are effective.
-Make use of close range bonus (especially for drone issues) also give ranger smg early if you are having that much issue with drones
-Too many 40-60% shots being taken
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Saph7 »

TheCiroth wrote:But its not worth it. I've said my peace about how they went the wrong way in balance to satisfy a small voice (a loud one but a small voice) in the game and how I feel that it was bad. I might of come across a little more aggressive then I intended but that's because I tend not to use fluff words to make nice nice and that I have to dance around an issue. Sorry, some times forget I have to do that. Same mistake the tester made with me. But I had every intention of coming back to it later UNTIL he insulted me. He said sorry yes but he clearly didn't think he did anything wrong.
Gimrah didn't insult you, he told you that you were playing badly. I took a look at your stream, and based on a brief look, I'd say he was right. You're making all kinds of basic tactical mistakes.
Flintrok

Post by Flintrok »

Rookies gonna Rook (someone once said)...

It's an unfinished mod of a video game. Have fun! Laugh at your own expense - viewers will feel the emotions you portray!

Oh and remember Rule # 27 in the XCOM Rookie handbook: Nade those Drones.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Regarding the Stealth part of the mod -

The main issue I personally had with Stealth in 1.2 is that it felt more like an exploit than a feature.

If you can go Stealthy for the whole Forge mission or assault a Network tower only after you have penetrated the main building and shut down the relay, you feel like a god.

Conversely, this made fighting almost irrelevant, which actually is what the game is focused on since 1994 - Battlescape combat.

By the by, I did a Jailbreak mission an hour ago - on Commander it is a 22-turn timer with green reinforcements banner from turn 1.

I finished the mission on turn 14, with yellow reinforcements (nothing dropped) and 7/8 killed aliens. If I knew I had that much time, instead of 7 soldiers I would have taken only 3 and gone for stealthy rescue.

The classic stealthy missions seems more than playable without engaging the aliens. You just need to wet your feet and get a better feeling of the changes made to some of the missions.
ShockmasterFred

Post by ShockmasterFred »

TheCiroth wrote:na, Gimrah has turned me off of the mod with his representation of Pavonis. Regardless of the fact he isn't an employee directly, he still represents the company and should be accountable as such. I am not likely to bother with this mod anymore because of him. All he would of had to do to add on to his comment (or not said a damn thing) was perhaps it was bad RNG on your part to have Every pod stack on top of each other. Perhaps we are as testers so good, maybe we overlooked something but not likely or any combo there of. Or JUST had something more to say besides an insult.

Anyway, I am very critical of stealth as is most of my viewers. It was what made LW2 enjoyable. The fact they nerfed it below the ground is very sad and frankly most of my viewers are mad at it. All they needed to do was add a LITTLE more time to the detection time of most missions and it would of solved the issue of most stealth missions. If most missions didn't have a 4 day timer to get into, we wouldn't stealthed so much. All they had to do was make a slight adjustment to the detection timers so that you had an average of 6 days not 4 to detect when you have 6+ on intel.

To fix the 0% supply raids, all they had to do was add bodies to SOME retaliation missions. The one where you can do a full clear of the map. Problem solved. What I feel that they fail to look at is the REASON why things are being used. They look directly at the problem, at the tree not the forest. In their attempts to fix the tree, they burnt the forest around the tree. Now they need to fix the forest around the tree.

Regarding the "Auto rez" I've had advent rez with 0 sectoids or anyone else with rez on a mission. But I could be wrong in my memory. Having sectoids rez on Yellow alert frankly is bad. If they are not active then they should not actually do anything besides run to you.
In my humble opinion it was a very risky decision to rely on rookies to hit 2 out of 4 shots on the Sectoid. A better proposition is to just throw a flashbang, kill the zombie and possibly wound with one shot the Sectoid and with the rest go on overwatch.
Oh first thing I did was Flashbang the active sectoid. Didn't drop the zombie. The sectoid actually did mind spin on one my of my guys. Also, they were not rookies. I had squaddies that missed their shots that were above 75%. I don't expect them to kill on the first turn. Flashbangs really are not that great as they will still hit and crit their 13% shots.
Your opinions which deviate from anything other than "this mod is amazing, I love it" will be buried on this forum

Seems like it. I expected it from everyone, just those who represent Pavonis need to learn that what they say matters which some don't think they do.

The balance testers at this point are so good at the game, they think it is balanced. Maybe it is by the math and their play but the average player are not going to think it is balanced at all. They still haven't addressed the issues of Advent having deadshot aim when red fogged and flashbanged. At least they shouldn't be allowed to crit when flashbanged (same with XCOM). But that is another story.
I find your attitude a bit perplexing. Your original post made angry declarations that pods were "too close together" and that "you still pull the whole map after 2 turns". This was based on how many missions? 2? 3 maybe? You then claim to speak for the player base as a whole by saying "your choice to rebalance out what a lot of players enjoyed was the wrong choice." I would humbly disagree and say that making stealth a less optimal path was absolutely the right choice, and was listening to the player base as a whole. If you read the comments on the workshop or on Reddit, there are hundreds of comments lamenting the need for stealth, and the lack of squad based combat present in 1.0-1.2. This change was made in direct response to, what seemed to me to be a fairly overwhelming amount of criticism of stealth and it being the optimal way to do majority of missions, especially early on.

You also, wrote your comment in a way that absolutely invited the response you got, and you cannot be stupid enough to not know that. You said you had "lothing" (it's "loathing" by the way) for the mod in the thread title. You wanted a nasty response so you could claim offense. Then you buy into the conspiracy theory nonsense that any criticism is "buried". Ridiculous. There are tons of critical posts here.

You might want to play more than 3 missions before deciding that the new mechanics are broken, and might want to think about your own culpability in the response you received to your clear attempt at provoking an angry response. You most likely won't though, because you clearly got what you came for, which was to take offense and find a reason to be "done" with the mod. You won't be missed. Make sure the door hits you on your way out. Bye slugger.
Thrair
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Thrair »

TheCiroth wrote:Wow. I didn't forget how to fight. How about you listen to the users. Most of us LIKED what you did before. Not this BS you gave us. Wow. Guess what. With that one comment, you just killed this mod for me. And you killed it for a lot of my viewers. There is a lot of things you need to fix but you refuse to listen.

I point out what I think is an issue, the pod placement being unbalanced and yet you tell me to go F myself and its a good thing? No. Have a great day and I'm done with this mod. Peace
First of all, you don't decide what kills the mod for your viewers. Secondly, he never told you to f yourself. He was a bit snide, yes... but no more so than your own post. Arguably less, imo.

I would highly recommend you play the patch a bit more before tossing insults around about the mod being, and I directly quote, "2/10". You were the first to toss out insults, mate.

Stealth is still viable. It's a little trickier, especially in the mid game, but it's still an option. And it is more perk reliant. It's still quite viable once you get a Shinobi ranked up. It's just not reliable and takes perk investment to work effeciently (as it should). Some maps will have bad los/patrol placement and you'll have to abort. That's a decent tradeoff to attempt a mission you'd otherwise skip with only two guys eatin' infiltration time.

Lastly.... Gimrah does not represent the company. He's a player who offered feedback, nothing more, nothing less. And he did so on his own time. This mod is free of charge. If you do not like 1.3, I'd say go to Nexusmod and download the 1.2 patch, which is still available.

I'm tempted to make an honest man out of you with what you accused Gimrah of telling you to do.... but I'm restraining myself.
Nicklopez2005@gmail.com

Post by Nicklopez2005@gmail.com »

I disagree with the OP about taking 4 turns to kill drones. Yes, they can be difficult with certain squads, but generally early on you get combat protocol for your specialist and/or have a shotgun wearer in your squad. It's almost a given that you'll encounter drones, and a shotgun user can destroy a drone in one turn the majority of the time when you encounter them because they park right up next to your squad. You have to adapt to early game encounters and use the tools at your disposal.
jkure2

Post by jkure2 »

Nicklopez2005@gmail.com wrote:I disagree with the OP about taking 4 turns to kill drones. Yes, they can be difficult with certain squads, but generally early on you get combat protocol for your specialist and/or have a shotgun wearer in your squad. It's almost a given that you'll encounter drones, and a shotgun user can destroy a drone in one turn the majority of the time when you encounter them because they park right up next to your squad. You have to adapt to early game encounters and use the tools at your disposal.
I had an awesome and hilariously impotent misson last night where it took 4 guys (2 squaddie 2 rookie) 5 turns to kill 3 drones. My technical took 4 disorient shots and barely survived. Was a combination of me using my grenades too early, a disastrous rocket that missed a Drone entirely, and some really weak aim stats. The shinobi had to abort her first run to free the prisoners to make sure nobody died, and we barely got out.

I do think the increase in number of drones makes combat protocol or a good aim slug shotter very valuable early on.
MRIchalk

Post by MRIchalk »

Lo, thing! You make me hark, sing!
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

1.3 just hit the shelves! These programmers just can't win even when bringing us such a superior product then the original game makers (Friaxis) gave us. Thanks Pavonis for your time and effort!
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

nick_abbott wrote:1.3 just hit the shelves! These programmers just can't win even when bringing us such a superior product then the original game makers (Friaxis) gave us. Thanks Pavonis for your time and effort!
Thanks Nick, the salt comes with the territory apparently. :D
Blathergut

Post by Blathergut »

The missions have been very interesting so far (a couple VIP, a hack, and a s&g). The turn changes are interesting. I thought, hey man, 22 turns to get the rebel prisoners over there?...no problem...loved the 2-pak of reinforcements that dropped on my head at around 14! It was nice to see that varying. So far, great!!!