Shotgun weapon range applying incorrectly...?

Lyzak

Shotgun weapon range applying incorrectly...?

Post by Lyzak »

So I posted about this in the Bug Reports but I realize now that that's not the place to post if I want to generate a conversation about if anyone else has noticed this issue. If you read this and go, "Oh yeah, I've experienced that and have something to add," please go write in at http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 17&t=25950

I noticed while playing a mission the other day that my shotgun-wielding assault wasn't getting a "Weapon Range" aim bonus when standing immediately next to an enemy. I'm not talking about standing on a corner with an enemy and peeking around to flank them; I'm talking two immediately adjacent tiles. Right in front of their face. No aim bonus for proximity. However, if I back up a single tile, so that just one tile is between the enemy and my ranger, I suddenly get the +60% "point blank" weapon range proximity bonus.

I'm not sure this is intended, but I could be wrong. What do y'all thing? Have you experience this? Do you not experience this, and perhaps I've somehow botched my game?

Some visual aids:

Here, Miss Shotgun-Toting-Assault is standing immediately adjacent to Mister-Unfortunately-Flanked-Sectoid. Notice that I'm only getting my base aim, and no "weapon range" bonus despite being literally right next to them.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y76i9bty6ghvb ... rt%201.png

Here, Miss Shotgun-Toting-Assault has turned around to face Mister-Also-Flanked-Sectoid immediately behind her, only this Sectoid is one extra tile away. Suddenly... bam! +60% weapon range proximity bonus. Strange, huh...?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pidu1i0h7qg41 ... rt%202.png
bilfdoffle
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Shotgun weapon range applying incorrectly...?

Post by bilfdoffle »

Seems like the game is calculating the distance incorrectly, and for some reason thinks your shotgunner is literally standing on top of the sectoid instead of next to it. I'd be curious what happens if you move to the other side of the sectoid (implying that the game thinks the sectoid is in the wrong position), and what happens if you save and reload (if the sectoid magically moves to a different tile).
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

A test I intend to do (if someone else doesn't beat me to it) next mission I bring my assault on. Alas, I don't have as much free time as I used to... :roll:

But I will note that if "that Sectoid" is in the wrong position, so is the other one. Those screenshots are two different aliens, on the same turn, on either side of the assault. Both have "incorrect" weapon range bonuses, if +60 is what you're supposed to get while standing adjacent to the enemy.
DerAva

Post by DerAva »

What's weird is that you get +20 crit from the advanced laser sight. So the games knows you are point blank and applies the full laser sight proximity bonus, but it doesn't recognize you as being point blank for the to hit bonus.
Garthor

Post by Garthor »

bilfdoffle wrote:Seems like the game is calculating the distance incorrectly, and for some reason thinks your shotgunner is literally standing on top of the sectoid instead of next to it. I'd be curious what happens if you move to the other side of the sectoid (implying that the game thinks the sectoid is in the wrong position), and what happens if you save and reload (if the sectoid magically moves to a different tile).
This is most likely the case. Your soldier is - for whatever reason - literally in the same location as the Sectoid. The range bonus is a table, and in that table a range of 1 gets a bonus of +60% (or whatever is appropriate for the weapon), but the entry at 0 is always 0%. Cases where you occupy the same tile as an enemy are rare, so this usually isn't an issue... until it is.
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

Garthor wrote:Cases where you occupy the same tile as an enemy are rare, so this usually isn't an issue... until it is.
And it seems "until it is" is literally every time my shotgon-toting soldiers are standing right next to the baddie they wanna shoot.

Although I will qualify this: the times I've noticed it are times when the soldier and the enemy are directly adjacent, not diagonally adjacent (ergo flanking around a corner).
Garthor

Post by Garthor »

Well yeah, I imagine the most common case is when your soldier is "stepping out" directly into the alien. You can't step out diagonally.
bilfdoffle
Long War 2 Crew

Post by bilfdoffle »

Ah, yeah, I think I see what's happening.

It's very wonky step out behavior. Basically you're stepping closer to each sectoid, and while the first one puts you on top of the sectoid (and zero range is defined as zero bonus, unsure if there's a reason), the second puts you adjacent.
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

bilfdoffle wrote:Ah, yeah, I think I see what's happening.

It's very wonky step out behavior. Basically you're stepping closer to each sectoid, and while the first one puts you on top of the sectoid (and zero range is defined as zero bonus, unsure if there's a reason), the second puts you adjacent.
Huh. Really? I assumed "stepping out" was a behavior you only did behind cover (hence why if you're not up against cover, things behind that cover disappear into the fog of war)

Is... is the assault doing the stepping? Or is it the Sectoid doing the stepping? And what's more, the first time I encountered this was on a rooftop standing in front of a drone. Drones most certainly don't step out, do they?
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

Hrm... Just to be certain that your .ini didn't get screwed up for some reason:
Find the XComGameData_WeaponData.ini file in the LW2 inis, in that file find the following line at around like 392:

Code: Select all

SHORT_MAGNETIC_RANGE[1] = 60
It should have other lines with stuff like [0] and [2], those are the aim bonuses by range. Range 0 is literally your own tile, range 1 is the adjacent tile, and from then on onwards. See if tthat particular line is that way
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

Just checked the INI. All of my short_ ranged configurations list range [0] as 0, and range [1] as 60, as I've been told is "correct." So the game is interpreting the relative distances differently than the ini is set up for, causing my soldiers to be counted a tile closer than they actually are.

Does... anyone wanna jump in and go confirm that this happens in their own game as well? To clarify, to reproduce this... stand directly adjacent to the target, not caddy-corner like you're flanking them around a lampost or whatever.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Lyzak wrote:Just checked the INI. All of my short_ ranged configurations list range [0] as 0, and range [1] as 60, as I've been told is "correct." So the game is interpreting the relative distances differently than the ini is set up for, causing my soldiers to be counted a tile closer than they actually are.

Does... anyone wanna jump in and go confirm that this happens in their own game as well? To clarify, to reproduce this... stand directly adjacent to the target, not caddy-corner like you're flanking them around a lampost or whatever.
Maybe change range [0] to also be +60, and see if that makes a difference? It'd be an easy way to confirm the nature of the bug, and assuming that changing the bonus doesn't cause issues in other areas, probably a significantly easier fix than trying to adjust the 'step-out' mechanic, or whatever else the problem might be.
DaviBones

Post by DaviBones »

Have logged ~20 hours in 1.3 so far and can absolutely confirm I have not seen this despite standing immediately adjacent to aliens with both normal shotguns and sawed-off ones many, many times.

What I have seen is that I get the 60% bonus whether I am immediately adjacent, or flanking-around-a-corner adjacent which I thought was slightly odd.
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

DaviBones wrote:Have logged ~20 hours in 1.3 so far and can absolutely confirm I have not seen this despite standing immediately adjacent to aliens with both normal shotguns and sawed-off ones many, many times.
Oh boy, that doesn't make me feel good about my odds of solving this >.<

Instinctively I wonder if there are specific conditions that cause this, that perhaps makes what I've been doing a fringe case that you've not done. But I also wonder if perhaps "What if we've been doing it differently and it's totally a bug everyone has?" is kinda a witch hunt.

But things that come to mind... Maybe it has something to do with the angle of the soldier and enemy, relative to cover items they are or aren't standing in?
DaviBones

Post by DaviBones »

As far as the fringe case thing, main thing I can think of is what other people have been saying about stepping out. It possible all my adjacent shots have been such that neither my soldier nor the enemy are stepping out "into" each other. Perhaps try getting adjacent to a drone again to make absolute sure.

Other than that... idk. Only mods you are running that I'm not are LW2 Information Display, New Target Icons, and Drone Reveal Animation but none of those sound relevant at all.

Edit: try what fowlJ said, "change range [0] to also be +60". It will probably just straight up fix the problem, and if you're lucky it won't even have any negative side effects.
Last edited by DaviBones on Sat May 20, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

DaviBones wrote:try getting adjacent to a drone again to make absolute sure.
As a matter of fact, the very first time I encountered this, it was doing just that; my soldier on a roof (not against any cover) standing right in front of a surveillance drone.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

I haven't been able to reproduce this easily in my game. Normally if you stand in the tile an alien would step out into, they stop stepping out (and so do you).

I wonder if its a problem with certain positions on certain maps/plots?
jfoevv820ueb

Post by jfoevv820ueb »

fowlJ wrote:Maybe change range [0] to also be +60, and see if that makes a difference? It'd be an easy way to confirm the nature of the bug, and assuming that changing the bonus doesn't cause issues in other areas, probably a significantly easier fix than trying to adjust the 'step-out' mechanic, or whatever else the problem might be.
This started happening to me after 1.2. Can confirm that this works with no side effects.

This was applied to all weapons, not just the shotgun (so snipers had no close range penalty when adjacent), so make sure you fix everything else.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Looks like they are applying a failsafe bugfix for this issue in 1.4, so all is good.
Added modifier for [0] indices on weapon range table to catch weird cases when distance to target returns zero.
Until then, you can probably apply the same fix in your own config files.

The range modifiers for any weapon can be found in XComGameData_WeaponData.ini.