Advent siege retaliation is frustrating

Stroggus

Advent siege retaliation is frustrating

Post by Stroggus »

Anyone feels the same? Yes, it was ridiculous previously when RNF dropped basically in one spot and you mopped them right when they land. But now it is ridiculous in other way.

RNF drops couple screens away in fog of war and even if you sprint first turn you cant engage when they drop, you cant even take a shot, and after that another ones drop behind you a screen away and you cant fight them too. May be it would be managable if they didn`t scale so fast, couple turns and they are dropping ridiculous pods already, and you physically didn`t have enough time to deal with previous ones. So it snowballs the F out of you.

It could work if you didn`t have to save stupid civs which are scattered all over the map (omg) plus they are faceless anyway. It is impossible to gather at least 5 civs for the 3 turns you have, and also you need to get back.

RNFs should really scale quite a bit slower every turn OR drop every OTHER turn at least. Or drop where you can fight them at least.

TLDR: I like vanilla retaliation better, can anyone hint me in which ini I can disable Heaven Defense Retaliation which drops RNF every turn.
Dwarfling

Re: Advent siege retaliation is frustrating

Post by Dwarfling »

I agree. Althought I managed to get 10 out of 11 rebels and only got 1 wound, I felt incredibly uneasy during the whole ordeal because the drops were happening on opposite sides super far away. And the drops started at 4 because it was a Strenght 5 region. In June, I got:

1st: Stunlancer, Heavy Gunner, Trooper?, MK2 Captain. Missed all overwatch shots, Captain scampers waaay to the back.
2nd: Sectoid, Sectoid, Sectoid, Rocketeer, Rocketeer. What. The. F... Thank god I had brought 2 gunners to control the Rocketeers.
3rd: I lost count... Muton, bla, bla.

This mission really needs a tone down. Personally I could live with RNF starting so high but having them spaced out by a turn, and then increasing the evac timer. Or, start the RNF always at two instead of being strenght dependant. If I have had a faceless show up I'm confident people would have died.
jkure2

Post by jkure2 »

Dwarfling wrote:I agree. Althought I managed to get 10 out of 11 rebels and only got 1 wound, I felt incredibly uneasy during the whole ordeal because the drops were happening on opposite sides super far away. And the drops started at 4 because it was a Strenght 5 region. In June, I got:

1st: Stunlancer, Heavy Gunner, Trooper?, MK2 Captain. Missed all overwatch shots, Captain scampers waaay to the back.
2nd: Sectoid, Sectoid, Sectoid, Rocketeer, Rocketeer. What. The. F... Thank god I had brought 2 gunners to control the Rocketeers.

This mission really needs a tone down. Personally I could live with RNF starting so high but having them spaced out by a turn, and then increasing the evac timer. Or, start the RNF always at two instead of being strenght dependant. If I have had a faceless show up I'm confident people would have died.
ADVENT directly attacked one of your resistance cells and you think it's overtuned because you felt uneasy?
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

You really gonna bring fluff to a balance discussion?
VanTheMan

Post by VanTheMan »

First one in 1.3 for me went okay earlier today because I a had soldier class-mod that was a cheaty-sniper, single action shot+death from above. Map had a building in the center, cheat-sniper made it to the roof and then I caught up on controlling the enemy count. Still took home several wounded and saved 7/8.

I thought thematically the chaos was kind of fun.

Also - there are no enemies on the map at mission start correct (other than faceless)? Would a viable strategy be to have soldiers spread out, sprinting in all directions to get civilians, and then having the nearest ones run to overwatch down reinforcements? That was sort-of what I did, and I think with a good sniper (that doesn't necessarily have to be a disgusting DfA-cheat sniper) it would be kind of manageable.
jkure2

Post by jkure2 »

Dwarfling wrote:You really gonna bring fluff to a balance discussion?
Should the game be balanced to make you feel comfortable? That's decidedly not what XCOM is about, not sure how that's fluff.

These missions were a complete joke until 1.3, and according to your own testimony, as well as my experience, they still seem totally doable. Something needed to be done to prevent you from being able to overwatch camp the reinforcement drops every turn, otherwise there might as well not be any enemies at all.
aceone

Post by aceone »

jkure2 wrote:
Dwarfling wrote:I agree. Althought I managed to get 10 out of 11 rebels and only got 1 wound, I felt incredibly uneasy during the whole ordeal because the drops were happening on opposite sides super far away. And the drops started at 4 because it was a Strenght 5 region. In June, I got:

ADVENT directly attacked one of your resistance cells and you think it's overtuned because you felt uneasy?

At which difficulty are you playing at?

On Legend st strenght 5( baybe 6...) reinforcements arrived every turn from the start and increases in pod nimbers!

It was incredibly hard, but it make sense since advent brought everything they got to stop me :)

The only thing which i thing is unfair is that the reinforcements were dropping exactly near the exit, and where my man were not present, every turn differently, flanking them or being really protected.

I ended up using civilians near the exit, to hide around high cover obstacles until ready to extract, to not allow advent to position units there...

I restarted several times to get a hang of it and basically, i couldn`t resisted more than 7-8 turns up until the map was everwhelmed with enemy units.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Dwarfling wrote:You really gonna bring fluff to a balance discussion?
The fluff is part of the balance of these missions, is the thing. Retaliations are supposed to make you feel uneasy (at the least), because they are something bad happening to you outside of your direct control - the second most severe instance of such a thing in the whole game, after the Avenger Defence. That you didn't feel you were in control of the situation is pretty well the whole point, and, if we're talking balance, I can't say I get 'overtuned' out of an example where you got an almost flawless mission despite feeling that way.
jkure2

Post by jkure2 »

aceone wrote:
jkure2 wrote:

At which difficulty are you playing at?

On Legend st strenght 5( baybe 6...) reinforcements arrived every turn from the start and increases in pod nimbers!

It was incredibly hard, but it make sense since advent brought everything they got to stop me :)

The only thing which i thing is unfair is that the reinforcements were dropping exactly near the exit, and where my man were not present, every turn differently, flanking them or being really protected.

I ended up using civilians near the exit, to hide around high cover obstacles until ready to extract, to not allow advent to position units there...

I restarted several times to get a hang of it and basically, i couldn`t resisted more than 7-8 turns up until the map was everwhelmed with enemy units.
I'm on Commander, they also drop in every turn at least in my experience. However before 1.3, you would just put your guys on overwatch and reload when needed, and the mission was over.