OH GOD my beating heart

Lyzak

OH GOD my beating heart

Post by Lyzak »

Story time:

FL 9 Data Tap. Thanks to some lucky pod spawns, a good team and some excellent scout work, I cleaned up both flanking pods easily in two turns while my measly group of 3 rebels (in a haven of 16, why) and vulnerable scientist patiently waited for the assault pod to spot the data tap.

Turn 3, the assault pod shows up. There's a Chryssalid. I've never seen a Chryssalid show up on a data tap. That ****er ran right up to my scientist and I'm sure the poor bastard's life flashed before his eyes for a moment. Thankfully two of my rebels hit the damned thing with overwatch shots and I suspect canceled its reaction attack.

Meanwhile, my ENTIRE SQUAD is literally all the way across the map. I friggin' Overdrive-dashed my SPARK unit all the way over to give my poor Scientist some full cover to dash behind while my rebels succeeded in THROWING EVERY GRENADE at the assault pod. Screw loot, I am not dealin' with an uncontrolled Chryssalid near my very tasty-looking scientist >.< My entire team is yellow-moving across the map to try and close the distance and clean up but fortunately some high-roll grenades take out the Chryssalid and its nearby ally viper, while my DFA sniper miraculously 100-to-0s the second viper in the pod (and the only unit he could see through the building). The only uncontrolled unit left is a MK II gunner who, for some reason, double-moves around the corner.

Amazingly I make it out of this data-tap without a scratch.

Holy heck. Chryssalids on data taps, FL 9. :shock:

EDIT:
For the curious, here's the spawn weight information for chryssalids in v1.3/4 - Note that they do, indeed, show up as early as FL 9 now, whereas they used to show up around FL 11.

Code: Select all

+LeaderLevelSpawnWeights=(MinForceLevel=8, MaxForceLevel=8, SpawnWeight=0)
+LeaderLevelSpawnWeights=(MinForceLevel=9, MaxForceLevel=9, SpawnWeight=2)
+FollowerLevelSpawnWeights=(MinForceLevel=8, MaxForceLevel=8, SpawnWeight=0)
+FollowerLevelSpawnWeights=(MinForceLevel=9, MaxForceLevel=9, SpawnWeight=2)
Last edited by Lyzak on Fri May 26, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill365

Re: OH GOD my beating heart

Post by Bill365 »

Great Story! Loved it.
Jeckhyl

Re: OH GOD my beating heart

Post by Jeckhyl »

Same. The story you remember years after you left the game :).