cover and mind control

dario_gaston

cover and mind control

Post by dario_gaston »

When one of your soldiers gets mind controlled, are they supposed to lose cover defense? Or is it a perfect information bug?
It seems to happen every time that when one of my soldiers gets mind controlled and it gets shot, perfect information displays hit and crit chances as if it was exposed, even before aliens get a chance to move it. It also loses defense bonus from aid protocol.

Is it supposed to be that way? does that also happen when the player minds control an enemy?
Jadiel

Re: cover and mind control

Post by Jadiel »

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way, but it has always worked this way since vanilla, and the same thing happens when you mind control enemy units.
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Saph7 »

It's always worked that way, and it's probably intentional. I guess it's supposed to represent the psi user going "hey, step out into the open where we can kill you please, kthnx." Still really freaking annoying when it happens to you.
hewhoispale

Post by hewhoispale »

dario_gaston wrote:When one of your soldiers gets mind controlled, are they supposed to lose cover defense? Or is it a perfect information bug?
It seems to happen every time that when one of my soldiers gets mind controlled and it gets shot, perfect information displays hit and crit chances as if it was exposed, even before aliens get a chance to move it. It also loses defense bonus from aid protocol.

Is it supposed to be that way? does that also happen when the player minds control an enemy?
My understanding is that it's a side effect of the system where units don't take cover against allies.
dario_gaston

Post by dario_gaston »

Thanks ^^
JM01

Post by JM01 »

As far as I can tell this is intentional (at least it feels that way). What it does is basically turns your character into an exposed unit (a unit that cannot take cover, as can be seen by the lack of shield icon that they have next to their health bar once they get mind controlled). This makes Sectoids a pretty big threat due to the way that Advent and ayys choose their targets in Long War.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

This happened in XCOM1 as well. Seems fairly intentional to me.