Trojan seems to always kill robots - a bug?

Franzy

Trojan seems to always kill robots - a bug?

Post by Franzy »

In 1.4, Trojan seems to always kill robots and turrents, no matter how many health they have left after hack expires. It easily kills advanced hunter drones and advanced mechs on full health. I've never seen a robot to survive Trojan actually. Seems kinda strange and super-OP if it is intentional (I wonder if it works vs. Sectopods :))

I think it's a bug, because it looks like that:
- Robot loses hack effect and takes around 5 damage
- Robot gets stunned and its hp bar disappears
- At the beginning of the next alien turn robot is dead.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Re: Trojan seems to always kill robots - a bug?

Post by chrisb »

I'll have a look at it this evening. If that's the case it's likely a bug, IIRC it should top out at 8 damage?
Aurien

Post by Aurien »

I have had this happen as well twice today one was a normal drone other was a m2 mech.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

Add my experience to the mix as well, exactly as OP described it.

I was stealthing my way through the beginning of an Advent HQ, taking out all the turrets and solo drones from concealment with haywire/trojan.

I trojan'd a hunter drone with 8hp and it took 7 damage. I had just started to say "oh well" when the drone then blew up, seemingly for no reason.
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

My Trojan hacker just killed an undamaged M2 Heavy MEC on Veteran (15 HP, 3 Armour) with that. It is a bug, I think.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

So I tried to spend some time debugging this and haven't really gotten far yet. Any time I try to do this in a test setup the game crashes on the enemy turn that trojan procs right near the end of the turn.

What might help is if someone could provide a tactical save after hacking but before the trojan tick occurs.
Franzy

Post by Franzy »

*UPDATE*
So yesterday I had a similar situation with a heavy turret. I shot it down with hywire and after a turn it took 5 damage from trojan, and as the turn ended it took ANOTHER 5 damage, leaving it with 1hp! So apparently the problem is not instakill but that damage applies twice, as the trojan runs out and once more in the end of the turn.
Aurien

Post by Aurien »

I had the problem again last night was like franzy described Trojan applied at start of the turn leaving mech with 3 hp, the mech was not targetable and died at the end of my turn, the kill animation didn't play and it just stood there for the rest of the mission, sorry no save as was an ironman game.
azarga

Post by azarga »

I like the OP trojan. When you find the lines that were causing this behavior, please specify them here, so that I could restore this bug, kthx.
:D
Frei_Ninjesus

Post by Frei_Ninjesus »

Just to add my experience: Last night I used shutdown on a Heavy Mec with 16hp, at the end of the stun it lost around 8hp so I had to actively kill it before it regained it's actions on the following turn.
Franzy

Post by Franzy »

*Update*
Used hywire on a heavy mech, it took 5 damage and got stunned... than took another 5 damage on the following turn... and another 3 (killing itself) on the turn after that, all the while it was stunned. So apparently Trojan just does not wear off, ticking like a crazy dot every turn and keeping enemy stunned:)
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

I found the bug for this. The event handler wasn't being removed properly for the TrojanVirus effect that is added to the enemy unit. It fires at the beginning of every turn, both player and enemy. The first two ticks it is ignored since the mec is still stunned or mind controlled, and the 3rd tick it applies the damage, removes AP and then removes itself completely. Because the event handler wasn't being removed, it was firing again on the player start of turn, causing more damage, so effectively it was hitting twice per turn.

Fix is in for it now, thanks for the feedback everyone!
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

Chrisb: thank you!
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

chrisb wrote:I found the bug for this. The event handler wasn't being removed properly for the TrojanVirus effect that is added to the enemy unit. It fires at the beginning of every turn, both player and enemy. The first two ticks it is ignored since the mec is still stunned or mind controlled, and the 3rd tick it applies the damage, removes AP and then removes itself completely. Because the event handler wasn't being removed, it was firing again on the player start of turn, causing more damage, so effectively it was hitting twice per turn.

Awesome! Any chance we can implement the fix ourselves?
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

wobuffet wrote:
chrisb wrote:I found the bug for this. The event handler wasn't being removed properly for the TrojanVirus effect that is added to the enemy unit. It fires at the beginning of every turn, both player and enemy. The first two ticks it is ignored since the mec is still stunned or mind controlled, and the 3rd tick it applies the damage, removes AP and then removes itself completely. Because the event handler wasn't being removed, it was firing again on the player start of turn, causing more damage, so effectively it was hitting twice per turn.

Awesome! Any chance we can implement the fix ourselves?
With a mod maybe, it required implementing a function in X2Effect_TrojanVirus