Enemies on mission start?

SouthpawHare

Enemies on mission start?

Post by SouthpawHare »

So I just had a situation where enemies activated instantly as soon as I entered a mission. It led to an awkward situation where I had active enemies, and yet my entire squad was still concealed, so they saw us but also didn't see us. Can I assume that this is a bug?

It occurred on a Rescue Prisoners mission.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Re: Enemies on mission start?

Post by chrisb »

It is possible to happen, though it's not supposed to. When the tactical scene loads you are not concealed right away and concealment is triggered once the units are loaded, which can cause anything within LOS to activate and then lose sight to concealment. I've had it happen with turrets which is annoying too since they have squadsight, and will shoot if they have LOS even outside of sight range, typically with a height aim bonus.

It's really not supposed to happen since they are configured to have a minimum spawn distance from XCOM, but it seems if some RNG stars align with regards to map size and positioning between xcom spawn and the objective, that the placement code can fail to place them out of LOS. It's seems to be very rare in my experience, I think I've had it happen once with a turret.

A reproducible save is the most valuable thing to have in these situations. Though I'm not sure how possible that is, I think if you load the mission from a strat save then you'll get different results each time? If not that would be very helpful to have.
SouthpawHare

Re: Enemies on mission start?

Post by SouthpawHare »

chrisb wrote:It is possible to happen, though it's not supposed to. When the tactical scene loads you are not concealed right away and concealment is triggered once the units are loaded, which can cause anything within LOS to activate and then lose sight to concealment. I've had it happen with turrets which is annoying too since they have squadsight, and will shoot if they have LOS even outside of sight range, typically with a height aim bonus.

It's really not supposed to happen since they are configured to have a minimum spawn distance from XCOM, but it seems if some RNG stars align with regards to map size and positioning between xcom spawn and the objective, that the placement code can fail to place them out of LOS. It's seems to be very rare in my experience, I think I've had it happen once with a turret.

A reproducible save is the most valuable thing to have in these situations. Though I'm not sure how possible that is, I think if you load the mission from a strat save then you'll get different results each time? If not that would be very helpful to have.
My apologies; I continued on and don't have a save to share for this.