3 questions, 3 things that hardly make sense

sirburton

3 questions, 3 things that hardly make sense

Post by sirburton »

hi guys
as title I noticed 3 things that don't make any sense
1) The burner should burn....shouldn't it ? Well, I used the flamethrower of my technical on an advent soldier and it took only the dmg dealt by the burner and no burning effect at all. Indeed the soldier was able to perform his turn regularly. Why didn't it trigger the burn effect? Just like flame granades always do? It'f the first time I notice this actually, maybe some bug related to the exo suit and its +2 flame attacks tank?
Or if this is about a %chance of triggering burn on enemies, how do I increase this chance? Which file, which line ?
2) I lost all my rebels on a haven mission, how do I recruit other rebels their? Or can I transfer rebels from haven to haven? I've put a leader on that haven but still no recruit -edit- it's a liberated region, so no jailbreak mission at all
3) How to improve rebels' weps? Most of them still using lasers, while all my soldiers use plasma weps
Last edited by sirburton on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Fearless Xcoms! --> Here
fowlJ

Re: 3 questions, 3 things that hardly make sense

Post by fowlJ »

1) The flamethrower only has a chance to light a target on fire, not a guarantee. You can improve the odds by making sure that the tile the target is standing on is highlighted in the targeting preview, because if it sets the target's tile on fire (which is also just a chance) then the target will catch fire when they move.

2) Stationing a soldier in a haven will slowly recruit additional rebels, even if the haven is empty. Higher ranked soldiers have a greater impact.

3) This is just random, based on what tech you have - I don't believe rebels will ever be equipped with weapons beyond Magnetic tier, but should always have at least lasers now, instead of earlier in the campaign where they would often still have ballistic weapons.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

1) The Flamethrower has only a chance of setting a target burning and only a chance of setting any given tile on fire (if the guy you want to burn is standing in a burning tile, they automatically burn if they move).

2) It can take up to 30 days to recruit your first rebel after a haven is wiped out. The second one will only take 15. The third 10 and so on. Rebuilding from nothing is not an easy task!

3) At Coil Rifle tech, you have a chance for reach rebel to equip a Mag Weapon and failing that, always Laser Rifles. This increases at Advanced Coil tech and again at Plasma Rifle tech. At Plasma Rifle tech, a rookie rebel has a 60% chance to equip a Mag Weapon. More skilled rebels (they have 2 or 4 skills visible in the haven management window) will always equip Mag Weapons at this tech level. If you haven't seen any of your rebels with Mag Weapons yet, you've probably just been unlucky.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

1) Start XCOM2 with -usexwynnsmode option :lol:
In case it's not obvious it was a joke. As others said it's an RNG roll. The flamer will always burn (damage with fire) the enemy but not always set them on fire. If it's the first time you see it and you're already at EXO armor you're quite lucky as my flamers regularly fail to set some enemies on fire, sometimes they don't set anyone on fire with 3 guys in the AoE.
Without messing with config files, you can improve your chance to control them with NapalmX (panic is also a good CC ability) and i think better gauntlets have better chance to proc burning (rough guess from my observations, i'll see if there's anything in the config).

2) You might also try to scan with the avenger in hope of detecting a jailbreak depending on ADVENT strength (you won't have Jailbreaks in high str regions) but it's only 4 lvl1 rebels so there's no guarantee you'll detect one with good timers but if you don't have anything better to do it might work.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

LordYanaek wrote:1) Start XCOM2 with -usexwynnsmode option :lol:
In case it's not obvious it was a joke. As others said it's an RNG roll. The flamer will always burn (damage with fire) the enemy but not always set them on fire. If it's the first time you see it and you're already at EXO armor you're quite lucky as my flamers regularly fail to set some enemies on fire, sometimes they don't set anyone on fire with 3 guys in the AoE.
Without messing with config files, you can improve your chance to control them with NapalmX (panic is also a good CC ability) and i think better gauntlets have better chance to proc burning (rough guess from my observations, i'll see if there's anything in the config).

2) You might also try to scan with the avenger in hope of detecting a jailbreak depending on ADVENT strength (you won't have Jailbreaks in high str regions) but it's only 4 lvl1 rebels so there's no guarantee you'll detect one with good timers but if you don't have anything better to do it might work.
I see thx for answers guys. However, It's weird to me that shooting a flame grenade on a target means 100% chance of that target having burn effect, then why the flamer shouldn't be the same?
And yes, my target was clearly in the burn area, I'm quite sure that the tile he was standing on was on fire too, but the soldier decided to throw a grenade on me instead of moving so he saved himself from the burn effect. And this is weird too, since if he's standing on a tile -on fire- why shouldn't he be on fire too ?
Does anyone know what should I edit in order to bring the burner to a 90% chance (for example) of triggering burn on targets?
I've found this line FLAMETHROWER_DIRECT_APPLY_CHANCE=60
could it be what i'm looking for ?
I'm focusing on this because the technical is an almost useless class for me.... the only thing saving the class from being totally useless is that final perk rocket, the one which destroys an entire building which is pretty useful
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

If I recall correctly, 60% is, in fact, the chance to apply the "burning" stat. This was actually a nerf (down from 75%) that was applied when the step-out and targeting mechanics were vastly improved back in 1.1.

In any case, I would guess that you've found the correct line in the ini.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

sirburton wrote:And yes, my target was clearly in the burn area, I'm quite sure that the tile he was standing on was on fire too, but the soldier decided to throw a grenade on me instead of moving so he saved himself from the burn effect. And this is weird too, since if he's standing on a tile -on fire- why shouldn't he be on fire too ?
You think that's wierd? Try using a flamethrower on a viper, see it fail to burn, but set the tile the viper is on to fire.. On their turn, the viper tongue binds you since you had to move into range of that move. You fly directly to the viper and catch yourself on fire, but the viper is totally fine, because it did not move!

Unfortunately, these are bugs with the base game that Pavonis may not be able to fix. Ideally the effect should work on anyone in an effected tile at the start of their turn. Instead, burning only applies after 1 turn if you stay still and poison not at all if you don't move.
nmkaplan wrote:If I recall correctly, 60% is, in fact, the chance to apply the "burning" stat. This was actually a nerf (down from 75%) that was applied when the step-out and targeting mechanics were vastly improved back in 1.1.

In any case, I would guess that you've found the correct line in the ini.
60% sounds low, but since you have a 50% chance to set any targetted tile on fire, it's actually an 80% chance to apply fire... as long as you can get them to move first!
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

sirburton wrote:It's weird to me that shooting a flame grenade on a target means 100% chance of that target having burn effect, then why the flamer shouldn't be the same?
It's a matter of balance. Fire grenades need research and PG project, are in limited number and have a very short AoE (1 single tile without volatile mix) while the flamer is free for any technical soldier, have 2 charges/mission and a large AoE.

If you want something to rationalize it, think of it this way :
You are not just "spraying" flames (you would rarely set anything on fire with just a short contact with a flame) but some flaming liquid/gel. The grenade splashes that liquid in a concentrated area thus guaranteeing you set the target on fire. The flamer OTOH spreads it across a wide cone and some targets won't be covered in enough flammable mixture to "catch fire".

Or just TGCM, whatever works best for you ;)
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

LordYanaek wrote:
sirburton wrote:It's weird to me that shooting a flame grenade on a target means 100% chance of that target having burn effect, then why the flamer shouldn't be the same?
It's a matter of balance. Fire grenades need research and PG project, are in limited number and have a very short AoE (1 single tile without volatile mix) while the flamer is free for any technical soldier, have 2 charges/mission and a large AoE.

If you want something to rationalize it, think of it this way :
You are not just "spraying" flames (you would rarely set anything on fire with just a short contact with a flame) but some flaming liquid/gel. The grenade splashes that liquid in a concentrated area thus guaranteeing you set the target on fire. The flamer OTOH spreads it across a wide cone and some targets won't be covered in enough flammable mixture to "catch fire".

Or just TGCM, whatever works best for you ;)
Ok that sounds reasonable to me. Maybe it would be interesting to introduce a new value that gives a certain +/- %chance of getting burn effect depending on the enemy. For example, vipers should be easy to set on fire, while soldiers with advanced armors would have a certain resistance against burn
Swiftless

Post by Swiftless »

I generally grab the perk to cause panic as well so that the CC is more reliable if I get a bad roll on the burn chance (which I think is 50% and 50% to Panic).

Edit: Just for clarification I don't actually know what the panic percent is. I did find this on the 1.3 patch notes
- Increased Mk2 and Mk3 gauntlet's abilities to cause panic with Napalm-X
hewhoispale

Post by hewhoispale »

Swiftless wrote:I generally grab the perk to cause panic as well so that the CC is more reliable if I get a bad roll on the burn chance (which I think is 50% and 50% to Panic).

Edit: Just for clarification I don't actually know what the panic percent is. I did find this on the 1.3 patch notes
- Increased Mk2 and Mk3 gauntlet's abilities to cause panic with Napalm-X
The panic chance is a will check, according to http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Weap ... )#Gauntlet, it's a [100 - ADVENT will]% chance of panic for the base gauntlet and goes up with tiers.