XCOM 2 expansion + Long War 2: (11/7/17 UPDATE: See announcement thread)

NoDebate

Re: XCOM 2 expansion + Long War 2: Nothing to announce

Post by NoDebate »

CreekBed wrote:So you guys think that because the lw2 devs will need to mess with the code to make the mod compatible with lw2 that they would be able to add controller support? given that the new expansion is going to add new longevity to the mod. I know in the past they have said that they only have time to do balance changes and that adding controller support is difficult and beyond the scope of patching but with the new expansion are they not forced to do the more code based difficult work now? could adding the expansion make it easier to add controller support for the mod?
I still think that feature is beyond the scope of the project. If anything, I'd get on Firaxis to add controller support to PC. They've released X2 on XBONE and PS4 and WotC is coming 12 September - perhaps it will be added for the expansion? Post expansion patch?
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

NoDebate wrote:
CreekBed wrote:So you guys think that because the lw2 devs will need to mess with the code to make the mod compatible with lw2 that they would be able to add controller support? given that the new expansion is going to add new longevity to the mod. I know in the past they have said that they only have time to do balance changes and that adding controller support is difficult and beyond the scope of patching but with the new expansion are they not forced to do the more code based difficult work now? could adding the expansion make it easier to add controller support for the mod?
I still think that feature is beyond the scope of the project. If anything, I'd get on Firaxis to add controller support to PC. They've released X2 on XBONE and PS4 and WotC is coming 12 September - perhaps it will be added for the expansion? Post expansion patch?
PC already has controller support, and has for a while - it's LW2 specifically which does not.
ozipone

Post by ozipone »

I know it has been said that you have nothing to announce about the expansion but I have a question that is not completely related to the expansion. Does anyone know if the arrival of the expansion comes with a patch that everyone has to download even if they don't buy the expansion? I have a campaign going on in LW2 and I'm not sure if I'd be willing to try and finish it before the expansion comes in the case the patch would break the mod.
GiftGruen

Post by GiftGruen »

I fear the best thing you can do provided you have the game on Steam is to only start Steam in offline mode every time until your LW2 campaign is finished. Or until LW2 becomes compatible to the new patch (without the expansion), which shouldn't take as long as a possible integration of expansion content (weeks rather than a year). However, be sure to never start Steam in online mode, since it will schedule an update as soon as it goes online, and games scheduled to update cannot be started before the update finishes (even if you switch to offline afterwards) iirc.
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

Yup. Steam sucks.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

orion_winterfire wrote:Yup. Steam sucks.
Without going to such extreme, i hate their no opt-out auto update to the highest possible level :x

More on topic, DerBK (creator of "A Better Advent" mod recently posted this comment on another mod's page
ABA will be up very early after release. I am prepared.
which seem to imply that he had access to an early release of WotC to prepare for compatibility issues with his mod. If he did, we can be sure Pavonis also have.
LW2 however is much more complex than ABA so i still don't expect it will be compatible at release but ...

Speculation of course, but that's what this thread is for isn't it ? :lol:
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

LordYanaek wrote: which seem to imply that he had access to an early release of WotC to prepare for compatibility issues with his mod.
From the second line of the post:

"I don't have an early access version of WotC, but the ini files that came with the Propaganda Center gave me a good head start on some things."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/ ... ase_plans/
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

deaconivory wrote: From the second line of the post:

"I don't have an early access version of WotC, but the ini files that came with the Propaganda Center gave me a good head start on some things."
Ah, there was no second line to his post on steam and i rarely visit Reddit. Another moder replied that he (implying "on the other hand") had not been granted the gift of an early release, which comforted me in that wrong conclusion.

Thanks for the clarification. Doesn't change anything to the fact that i still expect LW2 will be ported to WotC and that Pavonis silence on the subject is due to an NDA ... speculations, yeah :lol:
pingpong

Post by pingpong »

I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to feel less optimistic for there being a LW 2 version for WOTC.

If 2K commissioned PI to work on LW 2 version of the expansion, this would only be in the hopes of increasing sales of WOTC. To maximize impact, this would ideally be done prior to the launch of the expansion. With no announcement at only week+ from launch, I'm starting to doubt that PI will be launching anything for WOTC.

I'm hoping I am wrong, but "I've got a bad feeling about this one..."
Hargert

Post by Hargert »

I see the opposite with the current statement. I see them wanting to grab as many sales as they can with the initial release and then after things die down release a new LW2 update to boost them back up. That is what they did with the orginal Xcom2 as there was no LW2 at release. If not I hope they update it for love of the game and them wanting to play it. That is what started them down this path to an actual company and hopefully the relationship between them is still good.
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

fowlJ wrote:
NoDebate wrote:
PC already has controller support, and has for a while - it's LW2 specifically which does not.
I stand corrected. Learned something in the process as well.
faceleg

Post by faceleg »

NoDebate wrote:
fowlJ wrote:
NoDebate wrote:
I stand corrected. Learned something in the process as well.
I was not impressed with the XCom2 controller support. When you add mods - nothing really works well enough to be called "playable".

I used this: http://joytokey.net/en/, with the left stick being mouse left/right/up/down with 3x acceleration when pressed to the edge, and the right stick set to wasd.

If anyone is interested I can post the actual config.

I've found it to be really good for playing XCom - comfort of leaning back with a controller but the ability to click little things like with a mouse. The acceleration feature means you don't get frustrated trying to mouse-sniper tiny buttons with the controller-mallet.
ADVENTBurgers

Post by ADVENTBurgers »

The fact that you specifically say "We HAVE NOTHING to say... Right now..." says everything, don't worry I understand fully.

So happy they're working with you a lot, glad developers are embracing their community. You guys did so well on XCOM, glad they bringing you in even for the DLC. When the time is right, we'll be here to get the news. BTW the Burgers are free and housing available if you move into your local city center! (With Chip)
>Overwatch Sentinel
>Miss Both ADVENT Troopers with 68%
>Crit By ADVENT Officer in Full cover.

X-COM Baby!
rohirrimelf

Post by rohirrimelf »

I`m mostly lurking on the forum. But i just want to say i`ve got a lot of interest to see long war work alongside with the next expansion. Thanx for your imput on xcom2. It made me play the game for hundreds of hours more then i would just with vanilla.

Greetings Daan
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

So one update: FXS confirmed over on Reddit there will not be a patch to the base game when WOTC launches. That means that Long War 2 campaigns can proceed whether you have installed WOTC or not -- if you do have it installed, you will have the option to play a non-WOTC game and continue with LW2 and other mods there.
orion_winterfire

johnnylump wrote:So one update: FXS confirmed over on Reddit there will not be a patch to the base game when WOTC launches. That means that Long War 2 campaigns can proceed whether you have installed WOTC or not -- if you do have it installed, you will have the option to play a non-WOTC game and continue with LW2 and other mods there.
So, on one hand, that's great that no one will have to worry about a broken campaign.
On the other, it means no optimization/performance fixes for anyone not buying the expansion :-(
FXS_MisterKevin

Post by FXS_MisterKevin »

Hi everyone! Kevin Schultz, XCOM Marketing Manager, here. I'm popping in here to confirm what's being said about the patches. To achieve the full breadth of new features and systems in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, our team rebuilt large portions of the original game. As a result, any optimizations players experience in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen are part of that new game code, and are not present in the XCOM 2 base game
Thatsxcombaby

Post by Thatsxcombaby »

FXS_MisterKevin wrote:Hi everyone! Kevin Schultz, XCOM Marketing Manager, here. I'm popping in here to confirm what's being said about the patches. To achieve the full breadth of new features and systems in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, our team rebuilt large portions of the original game. As a result, any optimizations players experience in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen are part of that new game code, and are not present in the XCOM 2 base game
Thanks for confirming, but I wish you would comment in regards to if the War of the Chosen (WOTC) developers are currently working with the Long War 2 mod team to ensure Long War 2 will be compatible with WOTC. Many people probably want to know this information prior to purchasing WOTC.

Enemy Within was a similar expansion and it had Long War support.........but the WOTC expansion is much larger according to Jake so it would be nice to have confirmation. If you can confirm one way or the other that would be nice (Yes, WOTC will support LW2 mod ; or No, WOTC will not support LW2 mod in the future).
JM01

Post by JM01 »

Thatsxcombaby wrote:
FXS_MisterKevin wrote:Hi everyone! Kevin Schultz, XCOM Marketing Manager, here. I'm popping in here to confirm what's being said about the patches. To achieve the full breadth of new features and systems in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, our team rebuilt large portions of the original game. As a result, any optimizations players experience in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen are part of that new game code, and are not present in the XCOM 2 base game
Thanks for confirming, but I wish you would comment in regards to if the War of the Chosen (WOTC) developers are currently working with the Long War 2 mod team to ensure Long War 2 will be compatible with WOTC. Many people probably want to know this information prior to purchasing WOTC.

Enemy Within was a similar expansion and it had Long War support.........but the WOTC expansion is much larger according to Jake so it would be nice to have confirmation. If you can confirm one way or the other that would be nice (Yes, WOTC will support LW2 mod ; or No, WOTC will not support LW2 mod in the future).
I highly doubt that they will comment on this until at least a couple of months until after release to comment for sure because if it is the case that WotC will not support LW2 and they announce this before the release this could hurt (actually it WILL hurt) sales. Firaxis knows that LW2 was, for the most part, greatly accepted by the XCOM players and most prefer LW2. The only reason people are even considering playing the xpac is to experience new content and also the optimizations making loading times and performance much better.
orion_winterfire

That just blows.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

JM01 wrote:Firaxis knows that LW2 was, for the most part, greatly accepted by the XCOM players and most prefer LW2. The only reason people are even considering playing the xpac is to experience new content and also the optimizations making loading times and performance much better.
Not sure we can say that most prefer LW2. What we can probably say is that a lot of hardcore XCOM2 players who replay it through several campaigns prefer LW2 but there are more casual players who don't like the increased difficulty or lengthy campaign which is just fine, to everyone their preferences.
To a "bean counter" thought, hardcore or casual players both bought the game once. LW2 certainly has a large and dedicated fanbase but i don't know how large it is compared to everyone who bought XCOM2.
Thatsxcombaby wrote: Thanks for confirming, but I wish you would comment in regards to if the War of the Chosen (WOTC) developers are currently working with the Long War 2 mod team to ensure Long War 2 will be compatible with WOTC. Many people probably want to know this information prior to purchasing WOTC.
FXS won't comment on this because Pavonis have never worked for them when developing LW2. In a way, both worked for 2K, the publisher and both are probably tied by the same NDA. Only 2K can decide when to reveal what's hapenning.

I'm reasonably optimistic thought, for several reasons.
- LW2 increases the playerbase and even if the hardcore players who prefer it bought XCOM2 only once, they talk about it more than casual players,. It would probably be in 2Ks best interest to ensure LW2 is compatible with WotC and i wouldn't be entirely surprised if they had commissioned an update.
- Even if they didn't, Pavonis have shown excellent support for their product so far and i doubt they would abandon it.
- Having someone from FXS showing up on this board now gives the idea that they and Pavonis are still (or once again) in contact. I don't see why they would except to ensure compatibility for upcoming patches, and they just confirmed there will be no patch for the Vanilla game.
- Still no official word from Pavonis : smells like NDA :lol:

It will probably just take time, maybe long enough for the original sales to "cool down". The cynic within me tells me that if 2K have commissioned an update, they probably also gave instruction regarding when the update should be released, but that's OK. I plan to play WotC as is first anyway and can still try new strategies in a LW2 1.5 campaign without WotC if it takes too long :P
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

@ThatisXcom Baby -

You have it reversed - Firaxis did nothing to ensure that Long War was compatible with Enemy Within. If anything, it took a couple of months till an Enemy Within version of Long War 1's beta was released.

I get it that a lot of people are new to the modding scene, but huge mods like Long War take years of development and updates. Long War 2 is pretty young compared to other mods, so be patient and they will probably be more information forthcoming from Pavonis.

Concerning the news from Firaxis, it makes sense that there won't be a huge patch with the expansion. Most Enhanced Editions (Witcher, Divinity Original Sin) come as a separate game due to the sheer amount of changes.
Last edited by 8wayz on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crimsonsun

Post by crimsonsun »

Hopefully we'll have an answer in 2 days anyway, I'm not buying until I know for sure but I'm fairly confident there will be a a WotC long war2 eventually.
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

Just an note to everyone who uses a Controller with this game. There is no need to use Joy2Key or any other third party tool. Steam has native controller support for a wide range of controllers, which should allow you to configure both controller and keyboard/mouse inputs for any analog or digital input. It is generally much more powerful than Joy2Key and doesn't require any third party software. You may need to opt into the steam beta to get support for the PeasantStation4/XBONE/XB360 controller, but I am not sure about that. The game works fantastically with my Steam Controller
faceleg

Post by faceleg »

sarge945 wrote:Just an note to everyone who uses a Controller with this game. There is no need to use Joy2Key or any other third party tool. Steam has native controller support for a wide range of controllers, which should allow you to configure both controller and keyboard/mouse inputs for any analog or digital input. It is generally much more powerful than Joy2Key and doesn't require any third party software. You may need to opt into the steam beta to get support for the PeasantStation4/XBONE/XB360 controller, but I am not sure about that. The game works fantastically with my Steam Controller
This may be true for the majority of bluetooth controllers, but not for my Nintendo Switch controller. To get anything approaching playable I had to use Joy2Key.

My Switch controller worked fairly well for other games, just not how I wanted it to work for XCom2. YMMV