can we please have more panic events?

warbrand2

can we please have more panic events?

Post by warbrand2 »

the hunker down, run away, or shoot panics are a bit annoying as you know one of the three will happen. (though the shoot or throw grenade are rare).

So here is a request for more panic events based on actual combat panics.

wasted reload
info: upon panic soldier reloads their gun, even full.

gear ditch
info: upon panic soldier ditches anything they are carrying grenades, medkits, ammo mods. anything not a vest.
effect: 8 turn pick up item dropped at their feat they will auto pick up once panic is over.

self disarm
info: upon panic unit drops their primary. simple enough and like gear ditch would pick up after panic is over.

spray and pray
info: upon panic (cannon classes only) soldier starts spraying all their ammo in the direction of the nearest enemy. once panic is over they will have NO AMMO left and must reload.
effect: chance at graze shots for everything in a cone. enemy or ally.
IslamDunk

Re: can we please have more panic events?

Post by IslamDunk »

Could you tell us what the players will experience, when these suggestions are featured?
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

I thought in LW2 panicked units would only hunker? I've not experienced one shooting anyone else yet at least.

Wasted reload would just be a worse hunker. No action taken (unless you mean they effectively just lose their blue move) but without the defence bonus. It also strikes me as odd since that doesn't seem a panicky thing to do.

Gear drop would be pretty much the same unless they also ran away. This would therefore mean they then lose two turns of actions rather than one. I'm not even sure if that could be even modded in.

Empty magazine and run away seems a viable panic action (something like they blue move away and fire a shot with a -hit% penalty at an enemy).

A 'Shaken' state (graze band for panic) would also be interesting where they lose focus on the next turn, with a disorient like effect. And while my train of thought is heading down the panic graze route, a Hero effect at the opposite end of the roll would be pretty cool, giving an effect like you get from Vengeance (single turn move/aim boost). The 'fight' end of the 'fight or flight' instinct as it were.
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

IslamDunk wrote:Could you tell us what the players will experience, when these suggestions are featured?
wasted reload:
what play will have to deal with: the soldier reloading and wasting their turn. a worse event thing a hunker down. (panic reloads are a thing though modern military drills have made them rare)

gear ditch:
soldier, screams drops their stuff then makes a blue move. wastes more turns then a standard hunker down panic but an allied solider can pick up the gear and use it. double edged sword.

self disarm:
soldier screams and drops weapon, then runs similar to gear ditch but only they can pick up the gun. makes having pistols useful as you can atleast re arm this panic with a side arm.

spray and pray:
soldier makes a blue move then just unloads in the general direction of the enemy. targets depend on ammo, will target everything from cover to enemies to even allies in a 90 degree cone in the direction of the enemy. scary if they move behind your guys and proceed to shoot 1 or 2 in the back.

Another idea

NOT ME:
event: soldier screams and points out allies who are consealed.
what does: player now loses all concealment not just the ones that where already revealed.

idea behind these: panic should feel like a debuff not just an even that oh just wait it will pass. right now in long war it is just an annoyance and the tools we have in game to deal with it are more or less useless.
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

I see the reason behind your suggestions, but Pavonis has got rid of the various panic actions in their Long War mods, and these suggestions are only featured when the player plays suboptimally (similar to Shadow of Mordor's Vengeance system), which is the opposite direction of the player's intention (to win the game).
What I am saying, is that there are little to no benefits or reasons for the player to experience the increased randomness of negative events, and it is not the priority for the developers (since they even erased it). I only expect that these suggestions will only lead to having one more reason to rely even more on CC and another reason to use Snipers so they cannot be targeted in the first place.