Could Deep Cover get some small rework?

IslamDunk

Could Deep Cover get some small rework?

Post by IslamDunk »

When Deep Cover (or DC) pops up as the first Defensive AWC Ability a soldier can learn, it makes me sigh.

It is definitely not bugged and is currently working as intended, but it always negates Overwatch which is a double-edged sword, just like how v1.2 Covering Fire had unreliability when it comes to actually stopping the attacker and was likely to simply waste an ammo point.

Even on support classes you occasionally need another Overwatch to halt the enemy action. It is so annoying that DC is not a toggle-able ability.

Could we just get a value of somewhere between 15 ~ 30 Defense instead of auto Hunker-down, so Overwatch cannot be negated?
Alketi

Re: Could Deep Cover get some small rework?

Post by Alketi »

Whenever I see Deep Cover that soldier stops training Defensive perks. I'd rather see it do anything than force a Hunker.
foreverdead

Post by foreverdead »

I thought you still get your overwatch shot plus the benefits of hunkering? It is a cool combo with Aim if you roll a million to one in the AWC haha.
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

foreverdead wrote:I thought you still get your overwatch shot plus the benefits of hunkering?
Unfortunately, no. It negates any actions including Steady Weapon and Overwatch, which means Sharpshooters and Overwatchers must avoid picking DC.

Now if DC also negates Suppression, that's one of the worst Abilities availaible in the game.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Hmm, i'm pretty sure one of my soldiers have been able to fire Kill Zone shots while hunkered from deep cover (which is pretty handy) and i think normal overwatch shots too but it might be related to the mod Reliable Ever Vigilant i'm using seeing this line in the config :

Code: Select all

+TurnEndEventPriority=50 ; Increase this value to allow ever vigilant to stack with deep cover at all times, decrease to stop it from stacking with deep cover forever
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

LordYanaek wrote:Hmm, i'm pretty sure one of my soldiers have been able to fire Kill Zone shots while hunkered from deep cover (which is pretty handy) and i think normal overwatch shots too but it might be related to the mod Reliable Ever Vigilant i'm using seeing this line in the config :

+TurnEndEventPriority=50 ; Increase this value to allow ever vigilant to stack with deep cover at all times, decrease to stop it from stacking with deep cover forever
Really? Hmm, when a soldier gets Hunkered down by Deep Cover, Overwatch icon is removed and that soldier won't fire a Overwatch shot against anything. At least that was my experience, it could be a bug that I never heard of.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

IslamDunk wrote:
foreverdead wrote:I thought you still get your overwatch shot plus the benefits of hunkering?
Unfortunately, no. It negates any actions including Steady Weapon and Overwatch, which means Sharpshooters and Overwatchers must avoid picking DC.

Now if DC also negates Suppression, that's one of the worst Abilities availaible in the game.
The Steady Weapon issue should be fixed in 1.3. Kind of dumb if overwatch is nullified by it still though.

- Using Steady Weapon will now count as an attack action for the purposes of Deep Cover, meaning DC will not trigger. This prevents Deep Cover auto-canceling the Steady Weapon bonus.
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

Tuhalu wrote: The Steady Weapon issue should be fixed in 1.3. Kind of dumb if overwatch is nullified by it still though.

- Using Steady Weapon will now count as an attack action for the purposes of Deep Cover, meaning DC will not trigger. This prevents Deep Cover auto-canceling the Steady Weapon bonus.
Thanks! Then DC could be slightly more useful...