Is Drone Stun supposed to work on machines?

Doctor Sticks

Is Drone Stun supposed to work on machines?

Post by Doctor Sticks »

Basically that's the question. I have seen drones target, and even successfully stun other drones, turrets, and SPARKS. Is this an oversight, where the drone stun doesn't check (because you weren't supposed to ever control it), or is this intended?

Seems like the stun should not affect machines.
Dwarfling

Re: Is Drone Stun supposed to work on machines?

Post by Dwarfling »

I just don't see why it shouldn't.
Doctor Sticks

Post by Doctor Sticks »

Because they are robots. These stuns, presumably, were designed against humans, to keep the peace.
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

Doctor Sticks wrote:Because they are robots. These stuns, presumably, were designed against humans, to keep the peace.
A reasonable point, but it is leaning toward the realism side of things. In Sci-fi, electric shocks do inexplicable things to computers and robots too, temporary stunning included. XCOM is definitely in that same realm of soft sci-fi.
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

SouthpawHare wrote:
Doctor Sticks wrote:Because they are robots. These stuns, presumably, were designed against humans, to keep the peace.
A reasonable point, but it is leaning toward the realism side of things. In Sci-fi, electric shocks do inexplicable things to computers and robots too, temporary stunning included. XCOM is definitely in that same realm of soft sci-fi.
Note, though, that the assault's stunner doesn't affect robotics without an extra perk.
Seems a tiny bit inconsistent to me, though nothing major.
Edit: same with flashbangs. So, why, I wonder have all other nin-damaging effects affect either robots or organics, while the drone stunner does both? The world may never know.
Swiftless

Post by Swiftless »

Don't know why not; both humans and machines use electrical signaling and both can be disrupted due to any high voltage or high current charge if either value is high enough. Some integrated chip technologies are particularly vulnerable to even small amounts of electrical discharge and can be severely damaged by what would seem to us to be insignificant static shocks.
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

orion_winterfire wrote:
SouthpawHare wrote:
Note, though, that the assault's stunner doesn't affect robotics without an extra perk.
Seems a tiny bit inconsistent to me, though nothing major.
Edit: same with flashbangs. So, why, I wonder have all other nin-damaging effects affect either robots or organics, while the drone stunner does both? The world may never know.
Perhaps you can think of the drones has "having the perk" to make it work, then? Just say that they are specially designed to work this way in-universe, even though we know that it was an oversight out-of-universe.