Is having Reinforcements during Concealment a bug or intended?

Gethseme

Is having Reinforcements during Concealment a bug or intended?

Post by Gethseme »

Ok, so I jumped into another thread on strategy that was a few days old where someone else had a mission and, while moving to the objective on a very large map, reinforcements started spawning and dropping during concealment. These reinforcements then started running (not slow patrolling, like an inactive pod, not alerted but inactive pod aggresive patrolling, but active pod running directly towards your squad running) towards his squad, while he was still fully concealed. He then moved away from the reinforcements, and they kept charging at him till they broke his concealment and started a firefight.

I had a similar issue a couple days ago that made me ragequit my game. It was very infuriating to me that I was concealed, had given no knowledge to the enemy that I was there, and was still hunted like I had a homing beacon on a member and slaughtered, without enough time to even evac.

Some preface to this: Only mods I run are QoL\UI mods, not gameplay changing ones. I do NOT run True Concealment. I agree with the philosophy that the timers pre-concealment break is to show how long of a window you have on the opening in the Advent's security before normal security is re-instated (for example, in a Hack mission, it represents a rebel-found loophole in their security, and the reason Advent are even there patrolling is because they're there trying to fix it and you have a set amount of time to get there, DL the data while the backdoor is still there and not fixed.) I only run Blackmarket Usage, Overwatch All, Evac All, and Update Carried Units, so I can see what I can safely sell/save button presses/time/be able to see my downed troops to medkit/pick them up and evac them. That's it. It was a Jail break mission, and I was 173% infiltrated with a 3 man crack squad of a CPL Ranger, CPL Gunner, and CPL Shinobi. After taking 6 turns of solid running (plus 1 turn to let the non-shinobis catch up), on the 7th turn when I get ready to start setting up for the jail break, with 17 turns left, I get an alert that "reinforcements are closing in on your position". I'm like WTF? I'm concealed? Must be a mess up that won't happen till I break concealment. So I saved just in case and tested it, and lo and behold, I waited a turn just to see what would happen and didn't break concealment, and sure enough a squad dropped in about 15 tiles away from me and then started to aggressively run at my team. I did a full run away from them to see if they'd patrol, and they again ran at me. Again a 3rd time I ran a different direction towards the edge of the map to ensure they weren't just "coincidentally" running the same direction as me, but sure enough, they ran again at my squad and got close enough to where if I moved I'd break concealment. Then as my turn started, I got ANOTHER reinforcement alert. So I put my squad on full overwatch and as soon as their turn started, another group of reinforcements spawned behind my setup up against the wall of the map, and the first group jumped over my cover and "SPOTTED FLANKED ENEMY".

Tried to Evac, lost 2 of the 3 before I got to the evac point, then reloaded old game and just tried to evac immediately, but of course I'm next to a pod and the original first reinforcement drops ALOT closer so I couldn't move far enough away from the Jailbreak area to not activate it. After 3 reloads I just turned the game off and deleted LW2 in a fit of frustration.

I'm about to reinstall it because Vanilla is boring and I liked the difficulty elements, but I want to know now if this is intended behavior for the game. Nothing in the 1.1-1.5 patch notes talks about ANY mission changing to drop reinforcements during concealment, and on the Wiki http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Reinforcements_(LW2) it specifically states that "LW uses a "reinforcement bucket" to control when reinforcements appear during a mission. It starts at 0 and start filling each turn after you break concealment. Each turn, a value based on Alert Level is added to the bucket. When the bucket reaches 1, a new wave of reinforcements will drop and the bucket is reduced by 1 (excess points above 1 will start filling the new bucket). " Key thing is it says it starts AFTER you break concealment, and starts at 0 meaning you should NEVER get reinforcements while concealed!

If this is a feature I would like confirmation going forward so that if that ever happens to me again I know to immediately run to the Evac when I see the Reinforcements warning go Yellow. If it's not and it's a bug, I still have that original save file so you can see reinforcements incoming while I'm still fully concealed as a squad.

Posting a pic as well just for proof.

http://imgur.com/GZ5EkOH

EDIT: Also want to mention the Advent Strength was 2, and mission was default Extremely Light. This is also on April FOURTH, Barely a month into this game.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Is having Reinforcements during Concealment a bug or intended?

Post by gimrah »

GOps with fixed evac points such as jailbreaks, VIP rescues, dark VIPs and so forth, all have rnf timers independent of concealment. Hence the rnf indicator is already present as green at the start of the mission.

The long timer is therefore not the constraint. You can expect rnfs after something like 10 turns regardless.

Upshot is that these missions are about moving quickly, especially if the evac is far from the objective. Unlike missions where you throw the evac, it is often better to engage early and clear the aliens. Sneaking past them is of limited use if you run into them while trying to get to the evac.

Bear in mind the first rnf drop is probably only 2 enemies so shouldn't be too hard to deal with. However a mobile squad is good, eg ever vigilant rangers/specs and rapid deployment grenadiers are good for a covered retreat.
Gethseme

Post by Gethseme »

Got it, so if I ever get a mission with a long timer and fixed evac, expect reinforcements and don't bother with concealment/stealth, just smash hard and fast and kill them all quick so that I do a steady covered retreat with the VIPs in tow by the time the reinforcements start dropping.

Thanks for the advice.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Gethseme wrote:Nothing in the 1.1-1.5 patch notes talks about ANY mission changing to drop reinforcements during concealment
I do not know which thread I picked it up from this forum, but at the very least I knew reinforcements would be dropping even while concealed before v1.3 came out. I was not aware those reinforcements then get to charge at you: I interpreted the 1.3+ meta to be "stealth is for after you've got near-max level soldiers with all the right perks/gear, or to play 'lucky solo lowbie'".
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

I'm cool with reinforcements dropping during concealment.

Not so cool with those reinforcements magically knowing my squad's location and coming right at me, if I haven't been spotted by anything yet.

I get that the point of these missions is to move fast and so I'll probably have been spotted by something before the first wave drops anyway. but in the case where I haven't been, I would find that annoying.

Are we sure the latter is intentional behaviour?