This is a Gunner's real weapon

zozj

This is a Gunner's real weapon

Post by zozj »

When I first saw a gunner with a combat knife , I thought it's a cool design, but a little a bit odd:what's he gonna do with that knife??? I know it's close quarter self defense, what else then?

In all 3 skill trees there's only one skill about this knife(LW 1.4) ?! if you don't choose this, the knife is almost useless !!!A high aim gunner definitly gonna choose central mess , for me I just stick to the central mess no matter what aim is

Combatives is very good for CQC melee unit,but a Gunner is mainly fouces on his cannon,if we want this class have some defense ablility,I thinks iron skin is better than combatives. If we want melee traits in this class, how about give gunner a punch ability, guarantee to hit , high chance to stun,low chance to knock out, just like the stunlancer,but moving is not allowed ,just foucse on self defense .the logic behind these two skills because the soilder who can carry this kind heavy weapon into battle field usually have extraordinary body strengh than other soilders.

So here's my thought about the secondry weapon of gunner is this ammo box in the picture , and it already have a fancy name -- Ironman.(Ironman Pack Ammunition Pack System):

A Gunner is about fire support and mayhem, so give it ablility to burst damage out put will be fun.Gunner main skills are rely on his cannon, but they consume alot ammo , the backpack solve this problem. so here's my idea about this backpack skill (balance is not fully considered):

for SAW gunner,an Active(free use) a backpack ability give the gunner +5 ammo this turn, refresh abilities in CD ,but he can not reload next turn. usage limited per mission.this ability can not be used after my new Traverse fire

for suppress gunner, a passive ablility give the gunner a chance for an extra hit(or graze) (if hit)on enemy who attempt to run the suppresstion , 1 or 2 enemy hit limited per suppresstion

Traverse fire : it do not affect standard shot. instead active(free use) this ability reduce all your action cost of your ablility in to 1 and does not end your turn,5 turn CD. next turn you cannon need cooling down a bit(can not perform any shot)

Yes when you active two skill together, you gonna be sitting duck next turn, after a huge burst ,you can't expect there's no severe penalty.

other minor abilities like give the cannon two extra ammo capacity, light weight backpack grant 1 mobility ,ect...

For the existing skill I would like to share some of my personal opinion:

Grazing fire: I found it very useful for advent when they have this skill although they already constantly hit(graze) my squad on low aim through high cover.But when comes to my gunner , a miss is a miss! this skill is not guarantee to graze,just a reroll. in late game ,high Dodge just make it useless.

cyclic fire: a upgraded rapid fire? maybe, but 5 ammo and 4 turn CD?!we can rapid fire 4 shot with 4 ammo in two turn and no
CD. besides we have hail of the bullets , 5 ammo 5 turn CD, and guarantee hit! all we need is a little damage boost.

rapid fire: It's not bad,but there's chain shot , in vanilla xcom2 ,chain shot can not crit, if LW2 still has these traits ,why choose chain shot? between -10 aim and -15 aim , just like I said a miss is a miss. and with no cd, we can try it every turn.