Haven gameplay

MrCritterfur

Haven gameplay

Post by MrCritterfur »

Ok. I'm playing my first playthrough of LW2. And I am completely confused.

It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to add an advisor to Haven. But now that I know how, I don't know how to get them. Do I need to liberate a region first? Also, what exactly is liberating? Is that when you scan the region and make contact? Because if so, I've liberated 2 areas. Do I have to liberate it first before I can place advisors? If not, why can't I place any advisors? Do I need free eng/sci/sol to place? Because I have free ones, I can't place them though. Every time I try, it tells me there are active missions and I can't move my advisors.

Hell, I didn't even know this was a thing based on the in game descriptions. The explanations of the new game feature aren't very clear. Or detailed.

So could anyone possibly give me some suggestions on how to get started with the Haven aspects of the game? Because I'm at a complete loss. I have 2 UFOs hunting me down, no supplies, no intel, no improvements in weapons and I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose this game at this rate and I'll have to start over. Because I have gone no where, and can't figure out how to get the Haven aspects going.

Thank you.
MrCritterfur

Re: Haven gameplay

Post by MrCritterfur »

Ugh. Nevermind. So, I just gave up, started a brand new game (because I had other issues I was dealing with), and apparently, that fixed the issue. Now my Haven management screen is full of recruits and what not.

I'm guessing that when I started my last game, it loaded as a Vanilla game, but I didn't realize it. I was pretty sure I had downloaded LW2 a while ago when it first came out, but didn't realize it wasn't loaded. I've been seeing that a lot recently, where my game will sometimes load as LW2, and others as Vanilla. Apparently starting in Vanilla and then loading as LW2 caused problems.
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

MrCritterfur wrote:Ugh. Nevermind. So, I just gave up, started a brand new game (because I had other issues I was dealing with), and apparently, that fixed the issue. Now my Haven management screen is full of recruits and what not.

I'm guessing that when I started my last game, it loaded as a Vanilla game, but I didn't realize it. I was pretty sure I had downloaded LW2 a while ago when it first came out, but didn't realize it wasn't loaded. I've been seeing that a lot recently, where my game will sometimes load as LW2, and others as Vanilla. Apparently starting in Vanilla and then loading as LW2 caused problems.
Glad your problem is fixed. To be clear, though, liberating is not just making contact with a region. Liberating involves doing a (relatively tough) chain of missions within a contacted region in order to purge all ADVENT from it once and for all. This causes it to produce no further missions, but much greater resources, as well as disrupting ADVENT's progress in a variety of ways. You need to liberate at least one region before you can see the Avatar Project progress and begin countering it (it will still be happening invisibly in the background until then).
llll BlackFlag

Post by llll BlackFlag »

Welcome to the forum. Ufopaedia has some great articles that explain the game really well. They are a bit tricky, and I had to read through them multiple times at first to fully grasp some of the more complicated mechanics. In my opinion the intricacies are part of what makes long war so great though; I've never played a game that has the same sense of depth. Here's one of the pages that might help answer some of your questions: http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Haven_Management_(LW2)

Good luck!
MrCritterfur

Post by MrCritterfur »

SouthpawHare wrote:
MrCritterfur wrote:Ugh. Nevermind. So, I just gave up, started a brand new game (because I had other issues I was dealing with), and apparently, that fixed the issue. Now my Haven management screen is full of recruits and what not.

Glad your problem is fixed. To be clear, though, liberating is not just making contact with a region. Liberating involves doing a (relatively tough) chain of missions within a contacted region in order to purge all ADVENT from it once and for all. This causes it to produce no further missions, but much greater resources, as well as disrupting ADVENT's progress in a variety of ways. You need to liberate at least one region before you can see the Avatar Project progress and begin countering it (it will still be happening invisibly in the background until then).
I get all that. The issue was I literally couldn't do anything. Couldn't build radio relays, appoint advisors, change recruits. Nothing.

But it's all fixed now :D