Sectoid Commanders at start: Pretty normal for you?

Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Sectoid Commanders at start: Pretty normal for you?

Post by Tanalbi »

I remember completing Vaililla in normal, and the Andromedron, OMG, that was a nice boss alien, he has two lives!

But seriously, when LW2 was released, upon my first playthroughs... i died, all because Sectoids were powerful, so powerul that their will suppassed anything for my rookies. What could it do? Well, other than raising the dead and Mindfraying... they also make RKs Panic AND ALSO Mind Control them

Seriously, was this elaborated by the developers? To give you Sectoid Commanders at the start? Or they are just normal Sectoids but with more stats and abilities?

Don't get me wrong, i am not complaining. Right now, i am on my 7th (?) mission, and one of them just mind-controlled a soldier of mine (Yeah, need to learn how to raise their Will at somepoint), i am just asking if THIS and another surprises i would encounter in this mod... were intentional. I might know it would, but are you following the same strats as Long War? That the vainilla version "Is just a 20-hour tutorial for LW"? That LW2 is the real deal and that it will be hard at start? Cuz it's still awesome!
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
fowlJ

Re: Sectoid Commanders at start: Pretty normal for you?

Post by fowlJ »

Sectoids in XCOM 2 have always had mind control, actually. Or rather, they use an ability called 'Mindspin' which can cause either disorientation, panic, or mind control, at random. Actual Sectoid Commanders you will meet much later, and are a whole other barrel of laughs.
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

fowlJ wrote:Sectoids in XCOM 2 have always had mind control, actually. Or rather, they use an ability called 'Mindspin' which can cause either disorientation, panic, or mind control, at random. Actual Sectoid Commanders you will meet much later, and are a whole other barrel of laughs.
So these aren't Commanders? Then, they might be Leaders, i guess?
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Noganeto1 wrote:
fowlJ wrote:Sectoids in XCOM 2 have always had mind control, actually. Or rather, they use an ability called 'Mindspin' which can cause either disorientation, panic, or mind control, at random. Actual Sectoid Commanders you will meet much later, and are a whole other barrel of laughs.
So these aren't Commanders? Then, they might be Leaders, i guess?
Just plain old regular sectoids - they will only appear as pod leaders for the first part of the game, similar to ADVENT Officers, but later on when you're strong enough you can fight a whole bunch of them together.

(The 'Leader' mechanic doesn't really exist in the same capacity any more; there are still Navigator upgrades (or a close equivalent), but otherwise it's 'what you see is what you get' in terms of enemy stats and powers.)

EDIT: Also, a Sectoid fighting tip if you didn't already know, which makes them a lot less terrifying - using a flashbang on them prevents them from using any of their psi powers, and also cancels any active mind controls or reanimations. Flashbangs have a similar effect on most other enemy powers as well.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Sectoids also take bonus damage from melee. A Shinobi can one-shot them from quite short distances with a Fleche.