Huh

Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Huh

Post by Tanalbi »

Couldn't help but notice that whenever i wanna manufacture a new armor and weapon... it's instantaneous, unlike LW1. And also, whenever i complete a new weapon tech researh, i do get a "free sample"; i mean, for example; if i do complete the laser weaponry research, i am given a free laser rifle.

Is this also intentional, like the powerful Sectoids at start? Or is it that since it's a different programming game, you found it hard or just couldn't add the weapon manufacture wait function? I am concerned about this because of the difficulty, i am winning missions like hell, and this time, i didn't edited DefaultGameCore.ini or anything. In fact, i added the Celatid aliens mod from the Workshop, which i do believe, adds more difficulty, but i do really miss that function, since i am used to L"1's waiting for the laser rifle to manufacture instead of having it instantly like Vainilla.
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
fowlJ

Re: Huh

Post by fowlJ »

As I understand it (though someone on the team might know better) the reason why items are instant now is partly technical - the default way that XCOM 2 handles building items in engineering is that they are built sequentially instead of simultaneously, so if you build 3 items with 5 day build times you get 1 every 5 days for 15 days, instead of getting all three after 5 days. Not the end of the world, but they decided not to go with it.

From a gameplay perspective, though, the Infiltration mechanic serves to fill a similar role in delaying the implementation of new gear. If you have to wait a week for a new weapon in LW1, you may have to run 2 or 3 (or maybe more) missions without that weapon before you can start equipping it. In LW2 you don't have to wait for the new weapons, but you may have 2 or 3 (or maybe more) infiltrations running that started before you researched them, forcing you to play 2 or 3 missions before 'really' gaining access to the new gear.

The free prototype when researching is just because it's kind of interesting, I'm pretty sure.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

I still don't really understand why you think the LW2 sectiods are more powerful than the Vanilla sectoids. They have the exact same abilities: Mindspin (random disorient, panic, or mind control if sucessful) and zombie raise.

If a soldier gets mind controlled, that triggers will checks on other soldiers to panic. This also vanilla behavior.

LW2 sectiods do have better AI. For instance, if they have flanked shots on your soldiers, they'll take them. In Vanilla, they would just always use psi powers, even if they had a high percentage plasma shot.
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

nmkaplan wrote:I still don't really understand why you think the LW2 sectiods are more powerful than the Vanilla sectoids. They have the exact same abilities: Mindspin (random disorient, panic, or mind control if sucessful) and zombie raise.

If a soldier gets mind controlled, that triggers will checks on other soldiers to panic. This also vanilla behavior.

LW2 sectiods do have better AI. For instance, if they have flanked shots on your soldiers, they'll take them. In Vanilla, they would just always use psi powers, even if they had a high percentage plasma shot.
I think they may be comparing sectoids from LW1 vs LW2, not Vanilla XCOM 2 vs LW2.
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

SouthpawHare wrote:
nmkaplan wrote:I still don't really understand why you think the LW2 sectiods are more powerful than the Vanilla sectoids. They have the exact same abilities: Mindspin (random disorient, panic, or mind control if sucessful) and zombie raise.

I think they may be comparing sectoids from LW1 vs LW2, not Vanilla XCOM 2 vs LW2.
No no, i am comparing Vainilla XCOM 2 vs LW2, cuz as far as i could remember, when i was playing Normal Vainilla, Sectoids DO NOT mind control at the start. Hell, they even rarely shot, just like now in LW2. My point is that Sectoids got too OP, and they rely on Psionics more than anything, and didn't saw that in Vainilla XCOM 2
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Noganeto1 wrote: when i was playing Normal Vainilla, Sectoids DO NOT mind control at the start.
They definitely do - I don't think their Mindspin ability has been altered at all in LW2, actually, and stat changes to Sectoids in general are pretty minimal.
they rely on Psionics more than anything, and didn't saw that in Vainilla XCOM 2
And this confuses me a bit - Sectoid AI in vanilla did almost nothing other than using psi powers, even when there was something more useful they could be doing. You can literally leave soldiers flanked by Sectoids in vanilla X2 and they'll raise zombies instead of shooting anyone.