Reinforcement Nightmare

whitelion1284

Reinforcement Nightmare

Post by whitelion1284 »

- Data Retrieval from train
- after contact I faced reinforcements EVERY. SINGLE. TURN.

What the ****?!!!

I was literally overrun. Lost my whole squad. There was no way to win. None. There were too many enemies. They were too strong. I simply could not defend against them or kill them fast enough. So, I reiterate: WTF?!!!!
wobuffet

Re: Reinforcement Nightmare

Post by wobuffet »

It's a LW2 "snare"/trap mission. http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 467#p38968

No, it's not well-documented.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Thank you.

So it's deliberate.

I'm not a fan. I mean I love most of the changes LW makes to the XCOM games but every once in a while I really do get frustrated.
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

Agreed. Like much of LW2, it's fine (or great, even!) but really really should be better documented.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I don't remember the original game giving you any hint you would be facing a teleporting mage once you skulljacked a Codex.

Surprise! That's XCOM baby!
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

It would be nice if you get a 1 turn warning or something like that.

Like Brad saying "It's a trap, get out of there!"

Otherwise you don't know what's happening and after 3 turns of perma RNF it's already to late. Should you have 1 turn at least warning, you can at least make some decisions. Maybe even leave 1 behind as bait.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

WanWhiteWolf wrote:...Brad saying "It's a trap, get out of there!"
That would be perfect. It would at least put the madness in context. The worst part of that mission was not realizing what I was up against. I kept expecting the reinforcements to stop. Instead they just kept getting stronger. Right up until the fourth or fifth wave I kept thinking that I could complete the objective. Then, when I finally got that they weren't going to stop, it was too late. Evac was still four turns out and the latest spawn put enemies behind me. I had no cover, was flanked on all sides.

It sucked.

A little head's up from central would have made all the difference. I'd have dropped a pick up beacon right at the beginning, then battened down the hatches and prepared for a siege.

Aah, well. Live and learn.
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

WanWhiteWolf wrote:It would be nice if you get a 1 turn warning or something like that.

Like Brad saying "It's a trap, get out of there!"

Otherwise you don't know what's happening and after 3 turns of perma RNF it's already to late. Should you have 1 turn at least warning, you can at least make some decisions. Maybe even leave 1 behind as bait.
That's a budget problem, because it would not only require additional coding, but also the creation of additional content, localization included. I already proposed to use a line from the Avenger Defense, but didn't get any feedback so far.
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Saph7 »

General rule with reinforcements: with a very few exceptions (mostly retaliations/raids), they don't slow down, they only speed up. If it takes 4 turns for the first wave to show up, then you can expect a 2-3 turn counter on the second wave, a 1-2 turn counter on the third wave, etc.

So if you're getting reinforcements within one turn . . . time to plan an exit strategy real fast.

Though if you're playing timed missions in a Strength 8 region (which is the minimum for traps IIRC) you're already dancing with death as far as reinforcements go.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

This is turning out to be a common pattern: players are not picking up the unwritten cue on how reinforcements don't slow down. I guess it is part of picking up what's "common sense" in LW2. Maybe reinforcement speed should scale even more with Str than currently, just to really tell players "what are you doing attempting these missions on high Str regions?" Some sort of 2-step function where Str 1~4 is left untouched but Str 5+ jacks up reinforcement rates steeply to get the point across.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd