Why are most buildings unique?

Thrombozyt

Why are most buildings unique?

Post by Thrombozyt »

Is there a reason why we cannot build more than one laboratory? I could also envision building more than one PsiLab when going for a psi heavy strategy. Or maybe a second GTS to allow the training of more rookies?

This is strange as it basically eliminates much of the strategy behind the base management as you basically always end up with one of GTS, AWC, Power Relay, Resistance Com, Lab and Shadow Chamber plus optionally one of PsiLab, Workshop and Defense Matrix. Lab and Shadow Chamber are always on the Power Coils. It would be much cooler, if we could gain extra facility slots by building multiple copies. Want to research really fast? Double or even triple laboratory! Just hope that you can provide enough to also support the shadow chamber. Want to focus on pistols? Build a second or even third AWC! It also helps you to seriously cut down on wound times.

Obviously the stacking effects should be balanced, but I could also see a second GTS not only providing extra training slots but also increasing officer/rookie training times by 25% for each facility after the first. AWC healing rate increase should probably be adjusted to 25% for each AWC after the first. The second/third/fourth Psi Labs could offer XP boni to PsiOps so they level more quickly.

Side Tangent:
Give the different conduits/engineers in the power relay an additional bonus when the relay is on a coil. While it should be more efficient to have a lab on a coil vs an unupgraded relay, a fully upgraded and staffed relay on a power coil should provide the most power benefit.

Side Tangent 2:
Can we maybe give the workshop a use besides multiplying the useless resource of engineers? Can we maybe get a console where a stationed engineer reduces the build costs of items by 5-10%? Then multiple workshops could be a viable way to save supplies/alloys/elirium.
Dwarfling

Re: Why are most buildings unique?

Post by Dwarfling »

The strategy is in the build order. It matters in Legendary where you're strapped for resources thru most of the campaign.
Thrombozyt

Post by Thrombozyt »

It also matters in the C/I which I'm currently playing. Note that I didn't say it eliminates all strategy - just much of it.

Imagine that you could build a second lab! Such a tech advantage, but which other options to cut for it? And how long to keep it until you raze it to build the shadow chamber? Or rather expand and staff a power relay so you can support all 3 buildings?

There is so much strategic space that is lost due to this restriction - it's just puzzling.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

The thing is, with buildings not being unique, how many of those myriad choices are wrong? How many of those are viable irons and how many are pitfalls?
Also, it's probably a lot more work to balance certain things such as access to psi and AWC (that's balanced on the assumption of only two chambers)
Thrombozyt

Post by Thrombozyt »

As opposed to now, where the only buildings you can build multiple of (power relay and coms) are sure fire pitfalls, because you don't need more than one of each to complete the game.