How to Continue LW 2 Campaign After Purchasing WOTC?

pingpong

How to Continue LW 2 Campaign After Purchasing WOTC?

Post by pingpong »

Hi Guys

Hope that this is the right place to post this -- apologies if it's not.

I am currently in the middle of my LW 2 campaign and will not be able to finish it before WOTC comes out. However, if I have already pre-purchased WOTC on Steam, can you give me any advice as to how I may continue my current LW 2 campaign given Steam's propensity to automatically download and install pre-purchases?

Based on your knowledge of how the game is likely to work, do you think we can alternate between LW 2 version of XCOM 2 and WOTC?

Thank you in advance.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: How to Continue LW 2 Campaign After Purchasing WOTC?

Post by johnnylump »

Yes, you should be able to alternate.
pingpong

Post by pingpong »

YAY! Thx for your prompt response!

So I'll pre-order WOTC immediately and then come back here everyday to see if you guys will announce LW 2 support for the new expansion! :D
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

pingpong wrote:YAY! Thx for your prompt response!

So I'll pre-order WOTC immediately and then come back here everyday to see if you guys will announce LW 2 support for the new expansion! :D
Lol be nice now. I'm fairly sure PI didn't get a heads-up anywhere near early enough to get changes made soon.
JM01

Post by JM01 »

orion_winterfire wrote:
pingpong wrote:YAY! Thx for your prompt response!

Lol be nice now. I'm fairly sure PI didn't get a heads-up anywhere near early enough to get changes made soon.
On top of that I wouldn't expect LW2 compatibility for a while seeing as how there were A LOT of changes made to XCOM2 with WOTC. They are going to have to modify and balance around all of the new stuff which is going to likely have them have to completely rework some mechanics (like how they won't really need infiltration now that there is going to be fatigue. Though I guess they can also opt to code the fatigue out of WOTC so that they can keep infiltration but either way just in that regard they have a lot of work ahead of them).
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

pingpong wrote:can you give me any advice as to how I may continue my current LW 2 campaign given Steam's propensity to automatically download and install pre-purchases?
I expect you could simply uncheck the check box beside WOTC in the DLC menu in Steam (ie: leave it "uninstalled") to continue playing LW2 without the expansion interfering (not sure if you can do that after pre-purchase, or if you'd have to wait until the DLC was officially out.)

To play WOTC, re-check that box and then disable LW2 (and any other LW2-related mods) in the mod manager before launching.

Fair warning - I think "uninstalling" DLCs on any game in Steam involves donwloading pre-DLC versions of some files. This means that toggling back and forth between the two often could result in mounting data charges on your ISP, as you're downloading new files both ways. Worth keeping in mind if you only have a limited amount of data per month on your ISP.
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

As with EW, i expect a launcher where you can choose to play the base game or the expansion.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Zyrrashijn wrote:As with EW, i expect a launcher where you can choose to play the base game or the expansion.
I expect so as well, but if there's a core file that exists in the base game and gets modified by WOTC, then having the WOTC version of that file might cause LW2 (or possibly WOTC itself) to fail and/or bug out. Either the mod might not install properly, or it might overwrite something the WOTC-version of the game is expecting to find in order to launch properly.