AAR Commander with AWC init tweaks

Psieye

Re: AAR Commander with AWC init tweaks

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp vs "Extract another scientist from the city": Heavy, 1 day infiltration, Str 4, 20 turn timer

Turn 1: snapshot officer shoots a stun lancer from where she spawned - already in cover. Only the OW spec was in OW and of his 2 shots, one just killed a sectoid right there. DfA sniper running around trying to find an appropriate nest. Sidewinder snek killed by Mag Cannon Hail of Bullets. Rocketeer killed by grenadier with Hail of Bullets (AWC) after she rapid smoked. Aliens still manage to graze someone - I didn't think they could see my gunner but I forgot the step-out mechanic.

Turn 2: Airdrop a frag to the grenadier, last 2 enemies of pod 1 are huddling behind a glass block thinking it's high cover. Don't need sapper to blow up glass! The weakened 2 enemies are killed by an Iron Curtain by the Technical (AWC). Snapshot officer pulls 2nd pod: crits a muton to death. Drone removed with combat protocol. 2 sidewinder sneks closing in.

Turn 3: DfA sniper pretending to be holo because nest is bad. Targetted snek dies to officer. Other snek dies because trivial flank without giving up high cover. M2 Trooper at 3 HP finished off by Grenadier: 77+10 aim (Lead by Example). Pod 2 exterminated. Shinobi loses stealth while picking up loot. Pod 3 drone alliegance flipped (97%) after Aid Protocol on the shinobi (half cover). Drone switches off pod 3 stun lancer with disorient beam. Heavy Gunner oneshots the drone. OW spec kills 2 guys (including the stun lancer) who tried to flank the shinobi (Fire Discipline). The other Heavy Gunner huddles up next to the first one.

Turn 4: Rocket the high cover and all sight obstructing walls - both M2 gunners now exposed and trivially killed. Pod 3 gone. Shinobi blue-move scouts flank and activates pod 4. DfA sniper finally has a shot. OW wall setup, including the Long Watch officer. Only the Mec triggers an OW, everyone else too far away and the Shinobi is too tanky to bother shooting. In fact, the Mec decides suppression on a spec way far back is the best move.

Turn 5: Advent Officer gets DfA'd at 100% despite high cover. Snapshot officer only grazes Stun Lancer behind cover. Shinobi misses. Everyone else sets up an OW wall further ahead. The Engineer retreats, the Stun Lancer dies to first OW shot.

Turn 6: The sniper officer moves for the first time - yellow dash to bring up the command zone. DfA sniper grazes the Engineer. The squad advances while keeping up a smoke+OW wall. Hack spec scores Deception on lamppost: gets a Gunner on pod 5. Said gunner dies horribly.

Turn 7: DfA finishes off Engineer. OW wall is reinforced - pod 5 will be coming, the shinobi peaked a Trooper from that pod. A Sentry smashes itself to that wall. The rest are cautious or are too far away.

Turn 8: Shinobi spots what's happening from a forward roof. Technical runs in to get the long-range flank on the Stun Lancer. Sidewinder snek gets DfA'd and the sniper now moves forward. Grenadier's last smoke (she had 3) goes down to where the OW spec Ever Vigilants. Pod 4's last member: M2 Gunner is Hailed down by gunner. Pod 5's last is an M1 trooper who died to Covering Fire (45% despite high cover) - graze but the damage roll was high. Faceless reveal themselves far away.

Turn 9: RNF bucket goes red. Faceless 1 dies to Stiletto snipe by officer. OW wall kills everything but the Sidewinder snek from RNF. Faceless 2 down to 1 HP from remnants of OW wall.

Turn 10: Grenadier Hail of Bullet on snek. Shinobi finishes Faceless while picking up loot. All enemies dead, dash to Evac, no further RNF.

34 kills, 0 wounds. 4 Elerium cores, 1 Facility Lead (it's mid-June). Sniper officer hits MSGT, get Double Tap as it's impractical to do Serial for an 8-man GOp leader. Time to head off to a Troop column with this squad. Oh, replace the gunner for a 3rd sniper who just got out of the medbay.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs Swarming Troop Column: 2 days, 23% infil.

A very uneventful start where a turret is carefully removed and a perimeter set up. Like, 5 turns went by with just the shinobi moving around. Pod 1 finally engaged at a range of about 60 tiles in front of the frontline. The Naja in that pod shoots back at -29% hit chance (Aid Protocol and Combat Awareness). Scout snek (sidewinder) eats Hail of Bullets from AWC grenadier. Naja gets sniped back by the DfA sniper. No other sniper can shoot (power station transformers in the way). While approaching the Naja's loot, shinobi spots pods 2 and 3 - this is a huge map and they had to all be in a corner.

Pod 1's 2 Sectoids and Stun Lancer die to OW spec and Long Watch officer. Pod 2 activated by oneshotting the Sergeant at 60 tiles: Tactical Sense is meaningless when you don't see anyone. Pod 2's Naja shoots my Technical for a graze (greedy play moving him to half cover when Sidewinders are running forwards). Spotting sidewinder removed by the lowbie sniper (who doesn't have Long Watch yet).

A new spotter snek comes into the exact same high cover as the previous ones. No Naja shot this time. Pod 3 uselessly huddling around a corpse, poke them by oneshotting their Sentry. An Engineer dies to OW wall. Nothing else comes through that turn. Pod 3's Naja grazed, OW wall reloaded. In fact, this one place where the Sidewinders kept coming to - everyone else just dies to the OW spec while attempting that position. Since the enemies move one at a time, everyone tries to walk into that high cover. On the rare occasion more than 2 enemies run for that position, the lowbie sniper is sitting there with Steady Weapon to hit at 91% despite high cover.

Pod 3 wiped, pod 4 spotted (yes, that corner again). Say hello to this Muton pod with a Deadshot to the Berserker (grazed). Said Berserker comes into the officer's view - finally a chance to use Focus Fire though only 2 snipers shot it. The remaining Mutons camp because the OW spec is scary high Def (and has shredder from AWC).

Moment of stupidity: a car 'spontaneously' blows up while my shinobi was hiding behind it. She's still stealthed. Also, the Technical's attempt to be cool with a move+rocket failed miserably. Oh wait, maybe it was my rocket which slow-exploded the car. Muton pod cleaned up, pod 5 orange-alerts in (rocket said "hi") and immediately loses 2 members to the OW spec (well, the 2nd spec's OW helped with the Officer's fat HP).

Pod 5's Rocketeer goes down to the lowbie sniper, holo'd up while the veteran DfA guy reloaded. Stun lancer and Engineer get double tapped. Graze from the Lone Wolf (AWC) spec frees up the OW spec to Aid Protocol that other spec and go into OW. You can tell pod 5's remainders (all M1) are scared when they OW as soon as they come into view of the Lone Wolf spec's 2+20+10+45=77 Def. They didn't realise snipers could see them. Well, the last one survived and made the smart move of running away. Didn't get far, the shinobi saw it while picking up loot.

What a boring sweep looking for pod 6, I wish I had just tagged them when I saw them earlier. 5 turns later, find them - it was a pod of 2... So the only wounds I ever took were on the shinobi after the car 'accidentally' blew up. My fault for dash rocketing.

8-man GOp squad is now at 11% infil on East Africa's Troop Column (now Swarming). A Tactical DE mission offering an Engineer spawned there too (Str 5). But there's a Find a Lead in East Asia... nah I'll pass that one up. 8-man GOp squad will deploy once some snapshot snipers come out of the medbay. Then the 8-man GOp squad will move on the Tactical DE (4~5 days) and hope for a reasonable strength level. Meantime, West Asia spawns a 4 day 6-prisoner Jailbreak (3 rookies). I'm going to boost that one with a 5-man GOp. Lowbies need training!
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp vs Swarming Troop Column, 11% infil

Tense start - map is smaller and there's 3 pods (2 being full size) bunched up. Let's wait to see if they naturally disperse. The perimeter is setup. Will count turns after opening fire.

Turn 1: Pod 1 Rocketeer sniped while pod 2 was overlapping. Engineer sniped from Long Watch. Nothing else dies to the few OW that trigger. An Officer ran into the middle of nowhere to spot my sniper. No Naja in pod 1 so everyone else busy running around. Pod 2 went in yellow alert but ran AWAY from the Rocketeer corpse.

Turn 2: Pod 1 Stun Lancer sniped - graze but the OW spec shaved his HP last turn. Veteran sniper who had pulled pod 1 now dashes out while the technical moves in to be the tank. Though well, 'tanking' involves Burn Out flaming a Gunner and Officer - both burn (Gauntlet II). Officer ticks for enough damage that he'll die next turn. Pod 2 is now dashing... right they're trying to go around the whole building to flank. It'll take them 3 turns or so to actually see the technical at this rate.

Turn 3: Reposition the squad - everyone except tank still within command zone. Shinobi dashes to open the garage door next turn. That will reveal the rest of pod 1 that's staring down the tank. Pod 2 returns the way it came and spots the tank - scampers close to pod 1's remnants who were OW creeping. Pod 2 sectoid tries to mindspin the tank - fail. Other pod 2 sectoid raises zombie.

Turn 4: Garage door opened, technical fires rocket. OW spec takes normal shot to remove an OW from a trooper who suddenly realised he's flanked - Pod 1 wiped. Snapshot officer moves into no cover to kill the M2 rocketeer from pod 2. Zombie-channeling sectoid sniped - it took the rocket to the face first. Sidewinder snek wastes turn spitting on tank with medkit.

Turn 5: Tank shoots at snek, misses and destroys cover. Means my sniper can't see because snek not stepping out. Squad moves positions. Snek doesn't know what to do so steps into flank from my sniper.

Turn 6: Snek dies. Sniper officer finishes pod 2 by killing the sectoid. Then immediately activates pod 3 with Double Tap. The 2 OW shots on pod 3 don't do much - grazes on 2 armour Mutons. Said Mutons have good aim so they take advantage of the technical's -8 natural def. One graze for 3 ablative (still has 2). Berserker dashes to melee range and steps in a poison puddle left by snek.

Turn 7: Berserker killed, tank moves to new high cover and hunkers with Aid Protocol. Mutons move up and OW in a lovely flankable position.

Turn 8: Now if only my snapshot sniper can get to a good position to snipe these Mutons. One is removed by high damage roll from lowbie sniper (with AP rounds). One goes down to Hail of Bullets (grenadier) and combat protocol. Snapshot on the last Muton and it's at 1 HP. OW spec runs up and Ever Vigilants on it from flank. What does Muton do? OW - it can't do anything else.

Turn 9: Muton sniped. Shinobi picks up loot. Everyone shifts around for the next pod.

Turn 10: Pod 4 spotted, it's not the 2 Mec pod I saw at the start. Double tap to kill the Rocketeer and miss a Sentry. OW wall kills 2.

Turn 11: Squad shoots with complete impunity. What's a bunch of M1 stragglers going to do against a 45+10+30+20=105 def (+15 on OW) spec? They decide they should at least move so they eat 2 OW shots and don't shoot back.

Turn 12: Pod 4 wipes. Shinobi picks up loot - still in stealth.

Turn 13: Move up, fail an 84% hack chance and get Map Alert - excellent, this mission can be finished quickly. Shinobi spots pod 5 and hunkers. Pod 6 comes in from the side and flanks shinobi! 6 orange-alert shots on a flanked shinobi who doesn't have Aid Protocol or Hard Target. 2 grazes, 3 ablative lost.

Turn 14: Shinobi runs the OW wall (does not have shadowstep). Takes 1 damage (thank you armour) from 1 graze out of 2 shots. Dense smoke the shinobi's new position. A Mec and a sectoid were sniped before vision was lost. The big group of enemies moves up and the only offensive action taken is a suppression.

Turn 15: Suppressing Mec sniped, as is 1 of 2 stun lancers. Very few shots otherwise, can't afford to move close because micro missiles from last Mec. I'm trying to Full Override it so I'm waiting for more enemies to die first. And then it dies to the OW spec, oh well... Shinobi gets mind controlled! There are no flashbangs. Technical (who only had Fortify buffing him) takes 3 shots, 1 is a graze and the collateral damage sets his tile on fire. He's burning.

Turn 16: OW spec moves up to spot the mind controlling sectoid. Veteran DfA sniper reloads and holos the sectoid. Double tap to kill sectoid and OW. Technical runs away and puts his own fire out (Medkit). Shinobi also runs away. Grenadier steps up to be front tank and lobs incendiary at M2 snek. OW spec takes 2nd move and goes into EV while flanking an M2 Trooper and the burning snek. Said snek takes an OW from the spec (plus dodging the officer's OW) and will die next turn from fire. Other M2 snek eats the 2nd OW from spec. M2 trooper can now run without worrying about the EV only to eat an OW from the other spec who had been positioned way far out just in case they'd come this way. 1 HP after max damage roll from laser.

Turn 17: snipe an M1 Trooper with annoying OW position. Now the technical and shinobi can reveal themselves up on the roof perfectly flanking the last of the enemies. Burning snek killed with Hail of Bullets for style.

After Field Surgeon, no wounds. 39 kills.

Hacker spec is my 2nd MSGT - I still need to put him in the AWC to train up Shredder. DfA snipers swapped out for holo guy and another snapshot sniper - fresh out of medbay.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Trench Gun + 2 EXO suits in a Light network tower. True flawless victory: enemies never took an action. That establishes a vigilance spike in East Europe and a network tower. Lib 3 spawned with 2 days in East Asia, offering +1 contacts! Go 8-man GOp squad #2!

Yes, I've put together a second 8-man GOp squad. All my alloy went into making their gear, including 2 spider suits for the 2 DfA snipers. Could have bought Large Unit Infiltrations, but instead splurged to get my 4th and 5th mag sniper rifles plus 2nd spider suit.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp vs Swarming Lib3 Dark VIP Str 5, 22 turns - 21% infil (2 days)

Man, playing after a bad day is really not good. Bronzeman reload happen.

Pod 1: bad decision to pump Def on out-of-vision snipers meant my gunner was taking unnecessary graze hits. That's after I'd opened up with Iron Curtain so I should have realised there really wasn't much chance the goons would have ran up to seeing snipers anyway. They were finished when the grenadier showed up above them and sapped their cover while they were under Area Suppression in a really tight bunch (Iron Curtain). Too bad the snipers had itchy fingers and killed them all first.

3 separate, single drones in a Swarming mission - I guess they have anti-stealth covered. Shinobi loses stealth and I hack a drone.

2 civilians become Faceless, graze the gunner and hit the shinobi - both are going to need medbay time (they're both 2 HP down).

Hacked drone scouts an orange-alert pod that was dangerously close - not sure if it would have been more dangerous had they not been alerted. Either way, my shinobi will probably get flanked. Had to smoke for my shotgun-spec (he's a medic) who was clearly exposed.

3 more Faceless reveal themselves: 1 is in range of the shinobi but misses ("100%" but dodged). Stun Lancer knocks out my grenadier, but I have a medic so that lancer got smacked away by the grenadier. 2 of 3 Faceless killed, shinobi officer decides to stay in easily-flankable position while healing himself up (self-medkit). He's got smoke and Aid Protocol. Yep he dodges the faceless swipe (again).

Pod 3 saw the shinobi, they're active and set up an impressive OW wall where my hacker spec is. A 70-aim Trooper runs up to the ceiling, sees the clearly flanked shinobi and the holo marked gunner... and OWs. Right where my gunner could move 1 tile and flank it.

RNF bucket is full on Turn 7. Shinobi crit one-shots the faceless (through smoke) and shoots the Mec in pod 3. Hacker spec air drops with a spare action and combat protocols the Mec (T2 gremlin). Grenadier lands an incendiary on 2 sneks. Naja of pod 3 sniped by snapshot girl. Sidewinder of pod 3 sniped by veteran DfA sniper.

RNF delivers moar sneks. DfA kills: snek (RNF), officer. Snapshot removes an RNF naja. Grenadier mvoes into exposure to EXO punch 3 targets (only 1 kill: sidewinder). A Stun Lancer who didn't see anyone so never charged for 2 turns gets flank-killed by gunner.

Up until here was sorta ok. Dumb moment was when I moved forward with the shinobi officer to command the grenadier. I knew there was a pod out there (it's near the VIP) and there was a safe place to give the command from, but I had stopped thinking. In fact, there were 2 pods - I suddenly had 17 active enemies which by itself isn't bad if the formation wasn't absolutely shit. The lesson is re-iterated: heading towards non-corner high ground in 8-man GOp is suicide. VERY ATTRACTIVE suicide.

No, this is a Dark VIP. I should have taken advantage of stealth to head to the evac first, then fight from that position. Or rather, the corner nearest to the evac.

My computer was screeching slowly from all the active enemies but here's what happened before I quit to desktop: adrenaline-decision makes me move the medic up close ("hurr durr shotgun"). Snek tongues medic and the medic is killed. The shinobi who is flanked by a 12-man pod? Survives: still at 6/10 HP. Even when a 6th Faceless reveals itself (wtf how many are there?) he just calmly dodges it.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Load from Geoscape, make a fresh Lib 3 (was Str 4 not 5) to smash 8-man GOp against.

Turn 1 reveal by a drone. 2 drones in fact, snipers remove them easily.

End of Turn 2, 1st Faceless reveals itself and... fails to spot my shinobi not too far away in flank. It also misses my grenadier who was aggressively scouting.

Turn 3, shinobi blue-moves into the middle of a pod up on a roof. They scamper down except an M2 Trooper who gets fleched. That dash revealed pod 2 because of the skylight view down. Predicting everyone will be too busy looking up, dash grenadier (with EXO) behind thick walls. Trojan shutdown Mec.

There was a rocketeer in pod 2 but it chose to not use its signature weapon. Due to Aid Protocol, everyone was taking pot shots at shinobi but a Stun Lancer climbed the gutter pipe to charge into him. Meantime, Faceless #2 reveals and swipes at my gunner who was next to a truck. 2 from the swipe, lots from the truck exploding (does Formidable work on collateral explosions?).

Turn 4, snapshot sniper moves out of sight (got grazed by Sentry) and finish the Faceless. Gunner medkit self and suppress Sentry's OW. Grenadier gets in position and EXO punch 4 goons: kill 2, badly wound another 2. Shinobi slash Stun Lancer and then fleche Rocketeer - 2 kills. Bad move order as I lose sight of the Mec who a sniper should have killed.

Shinobi took 2 Stun Lances and a flank shot and is bleeding out.

Turn 5, grenadier frags the clustered Stun Lancers and Officer - the 2 who had been EXO punched die, 1 Stun Lancer still standing. Mec's position unknown. Gunner kills Sentry with casual flank.

Faceless #3 and #4 reveal now. DISGUSTING how #3 didn't reveal when all the action was going on and only now when my snapshot girl comes close. My gunner must have been a little too far away for it to turn. #4 swipes at my gunner who was next to car. I really should just frag all dense clusters of civilians on a Lib 3... #3 hits and rolls 4 damage on sniper.

Turn 6, Stun Lancer disorients grenadier, faceless are killed off. I think the Mec is bugged out: it's staying where I had Trojan stunned it and doesn't show up as a target, didn't take a move either. Decide to stabilise shinobi over using Aid Protocol on gunner.

Pod 3 orange-walks into the gunner from behind (he got healed up to 7 HP). Muton decides suppression is the best thing to do on a completely exposed target with no +def. The one enemy who isn't flanking the gunner shoots him. Another sidewinder OWs. Shieldbearer raises shield.

Turn 7, snapshot on the suppressing Muton because perfect flank position (I'd been waiting all mission for a shot like this). Muton is crit oneshot through 3 ablative, 2 armour and 10 HP. Both sidewinders DfA'd. Gunner suppresses other Muton even though there's an easy flank shot on a Sentry - it's only a Sentry. Revive the shinobi who self medkits and moves to cover. Grenadier moves forward to a hidden location to keep gunner as sole visible tank.

Enemies do nothing that I can see. The Muton is in low cover and suppressed - it just doesn't do anything. Do they have something against hunkering?

Turn 8, passive Muton gets Deadeye'd for 15 non-crit damage. Everyone sets up OW party for the full RNF bucket. Gunner healed back to 11 HP.

Faceless #5 and 6 turn! Probably because gunner moved up to pick up loot before OW. RNF delivers a Muton right next to my shotgun spec - it lives because fat HP and nobody else hit. Gunner and shinobi take down 1 sectoid, gunner takes down 2nd sectoid (Guardian proc'd). 2 pods activate! SNEKS EVERYWHERE! New Mec gets a flank shot on gunner, back to 5 HP.

Turn 9, prioritise Faceless. FAIL to DfA a Mec, so the other DfA sniper kills something easy and retreats. Still fearing a micromissile and I'm out of heals. But I'm entrenched now with smoke and Aid Protocol. RNF enemies cleared out.

Mec decides to suppress the hacker spec - thought micromissile was possible. Snek tongue on gunner avoided (1% hit chance). SNIPERS GETTING SHOT - lucky grazes and misses but they're going to be in medbay after this.

Turn 10, EXO punch through wall with shinobi to hit 3 sneks (none die). Offer grenadier as fresh target while frag-finishing 2 of those hit by the EXO. All my snipers are unable to fire for one reason or another - retreating, repositioning, reloading. Hack spec runs the suppression and gets lucky - only 1 HP loss (because of OW from an M2 gunner). Could have smoked but decided to combat protocol the Mec. Gunner suppresses Sergeant and gets Aid Protocol'd.

Sergeant killed while running suppression. SNEK TONGUE ON SHINOBI, he... bleeding out again? Not dead outright? No medibot charges left though. Most of the enemies are staring down the gunner but the flankers are beginning to slip through because snipers have been slacking.

Turn 11, DfA an OW Sentry away and use extra action to smoke for the shotgun spec to charge in and heroically... graze the snek that tongue'd the shinobi. It's left at 1 HP. I don't have any spare actions to kill it, the veteran sniper failed to DfA a shieldbearer too. Snapshot sniper (with red fog) needs to be running for the rest of the map to get to Evac now. Hack a drone. Area suppress 5 targets at once.

Dead goons who ran the area suppression: Shieldbearer, M2 Gunner. 1 HP snek tongues medic spec. He's still alive but he'll be in medbay after 2 shots (1 hit). Yeah they'll ignore a hacked drone for a tongued soldier.

Turn 12, RNF bucket full. Drone runs a Sentry's OW to stun snek (higher hit chance). The 2 DfA snipers kill most things visible, hacker spec gets laser SMG shot to finish off the 1 HP snek. Medic spec picks up shinobi (2 turns bleedout) and runs for Evac. RAGEEEEE THERE'S A 7TH FACELESS NEXT TO THE MEDIC.

Faceless #7 swipes at drone, crits it dead. RNF bring a Muton who tanks the gunner's OW and Guardian does not proc.

Turn 13, decision to abandon my GSGT sniper in red fog. To enable her last glory short, run with gunner to spot the Dark VIP.

"Let's do this the easy way" says the gunner.

GSGT sniper crits the VIP for 17 (he had 3 HP).

Medic evacs with shinobi still alive. Everyone mad dashing to escape now. GSGT sniper bleeding out (of course Advent don't give a shit she's stunned by a drone).

Turn 14, Muton killed with fire.

Bad decision on how to grapple out, junior DfA sniper is caught up by a Trooper and shot in the flank - I had the foresight to Aid Protocol so it's a graze but that extends his medbay time. Would have been a killing blow otherwise.

Senior DfA sniper evacs out 1 turn after everyone else because of taking the long route.

Debrief:
- 10 alien alloy from lamppost (this matters a lot)
- VIP killed, no +1 contact
- GSGT sniper dead, all her gear lost (Mag sniper rifle, stiletto rounds)
- EVERYONE gets promoted
- gunner 16 day wounds
- medic 9 day wounds
- sniper 14 day wounds
- shinobi 24 day wounds

The GSGT sniper had 57 kills across 14 missions. She's only my 4th death in this campaign. My 3rd death was a Cpl sniper with Steady Hands. Why am I letting my snipers die when my tanks have no problem shrugging off 10 aliens shooting at them? I'm letting them through too easily, or I don't think of the timer and position my snipers badly.

So... a Lib 3 in Str 4 with Alien Infiltrator up is ridiculous. Faceless make amazing tanks because they're AoE melee that destroy cover. So much of my sniper shots were spent on killing Faceless when there were priority targets still up. I should bring battlescanners or scanning protocol if I want to pull this kind of stunt again. A GSGT sniper death is kinda getting off light for deciding to take this on. Sure I had some bad rolls but I had good rolls too. It's risk management: that my squad couldn't cope with some bad rolls was a sign things had spiralled out of control.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs Moderate-Heavy VIP jailbreak - 49% infil, 22 turns, Str 5 (East Africa)

Turn 1, crit snapshot M2 Officer dead, OW wall kills a Trooper and shreds a Mec that later dies to another snapshot. Sergeant takes OW and is at 1 HP.

Trooper shoots at flanked OW spec and misses (31% hit chance). Engineer takes a potshot at sniper, misses (15% chance). Sergeant goes into OW.

Turn 2, snapshot officer misses both Double Tap shots on 50%. In fact, lots of missed shots so the AWC grenadier is brought in to Hail the 1 HP Sergeant. OW spec moves up and kills a Trooper, the last of pod 1.

Turn 3, scouting, nothing happened.

Turn 4, hack a lamppost, pick the 21% hack option, get Map Alert. BRING IT ON.

Some turns pass by, then pod 2 (3 Naja) is spotted by shinobi who has the holo guy snipe one down. The other 2 don't have any vision. Pod 3 activated while OW spec moves up. Rapid deploy a dense smoke, set an M2 Grenadier on fire, M2 Rocketeer sniped, M1 Engineer sniped. OW spec prepares to cover fire.

Pod 3 spots for 1 Naja, graze on technical. A Trooper dies to covering fire. Pod 4 orange-zombies get raised. Snipers had nothing better to do so they take them down. While all this loud fighting is going on, shinobi is sneaking towards the jail.

Pod 4 walks in and OW spec triple shoots (Threat Assessment on self) the 3 sectoids. 2 die from crits.

Pod 5 walks in and the Naja dies to the grenadier's OW. Pod 2's Trooper misses a 69+20% shot to do anything on the Technical that's flanked.

RNF bucket goes red. Technical flanks Scout and kills it. Last Sectoid killed with 2 graze shots from snipers, OW welcome party set. Shinobi moves up to jail door.

RNF drops behind the hacker spec. Shieldbearer and Officer instantly die to OW welcome party. A Stun Lancer and M2 Trooper survive landing. Najas being dumb because they have nothing better to do: 5% shot and walking up to easy-flank range and spitting on the technical (medkit).

Double Tap the Stun Lancer and a self-flanked Engineer. Smoke up the OW spec and camp - even though 2 M1 Troopers are already flanking that spec. Smoke the officer with a sniper as she was getting shot. Technical grazes the easy-flank Naja but the holo guy is in position to clean up (60% shot).

M1 goons give up so easily: 2 of 3 flat out hunkered even though there's no gunner hosing them. That's even after one Trooper got lucky and grazed the OW spec for 1 damage, removing the Sentinel's 2nd shot. Heck, the M2 Trooper decided to give up too - why bother stepping out when you can just OW in high cover?

Said M2 Trooper is killed by 60% shot from the junior snapshot sniper. Recklessly rush in and command to flank an Engineer while picking up loot. Completely ignore the M1 Trooper on 1 HP, let it shoot us in the back. Fleche the Naja from behind.

Ok, 2 Faceless turn. That I do care about. But they were too far away to do anything. Sure they scare the VIP but they don't swing. That M1 Trooper with a free shot? GIVES UP and OWs.

RNF bucket full again. Snipe Faceless #1, Chain Shot #2. Snipe the dumb Trooper. Prepare OW party. A Sergeant and an M2 Trooper survive the party. They don't survive the Incinerator.

35 kills, Flawless victory.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Network Tower, Str 4, Light-Moderate.

I can never resist an EXO punch on 2 overlapping pods while on these missions. Awkward moment when a 2 HP shieldbearer and 1 HP sidewinder were alive and a new pod activated to benefit from extra shields. Extra awkward because the assault who used the EXO was just visible to a flanking pod. But that's what shinobi Command is for: get to a better tankable position (and shoot because Hit & Run).

Awkward few turns of just camping in smoke while nobody was taking serious damage and everyone just waited while the grenadier blew things up slowly. Ranger + sapper frags helped. What are 5 enemies going to do against a hunkered guy in high cover? Shinobi emerged to remove the last of the flanking pod so the squad could focus on the main battle. RNF bucket went red right as all visible enemies were killed. They dropped far away so the squad kept moving towards the hack objective.

Weird moment: shinobi dashes by to see the last pod on the roof, but they don't scamper. This means the Muton was still standing there in the open for the assault to stungun. Very anti-climactic end as the spec casually hacked. Impressive moment when Muton stacked up "Stunned: 9" after surviving the arc blade attack. The RNF from behind ate a Trench Gun.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs Heavy S&G 26% infil

While there was a whole day left to further infiltrate, an Intel mini-retal had spawned in East Africa (Str 5). The squad started in high ground. Note there are 3 specs and 2 snipers this time, because the elite sniper officer is training Infiltrator.

Turn 1, dash the EV spec (despite having 3 stealth units) and he activates pod 1. Mec jumps up onto high ground giving the rest of the squad something to do. Full Override spec moves sideways and activates pod 2 (Sidewinder, 2 Sectoid). Mec gets hacked which activates pods 3 and 4. Fleche the Snek, AWC grenadier rapid smokes the EV spec and Hails a Sectoid for 9 damage (max dmg roll). Gunner Hails the other Sectoid and snapshot finishes it off.

Pod 5 walks in from the EV spec's front (sideways to the squad if only they could see). M2 Gunner and Stun Lancer killed by the spec's OW. Hacked Mec dies. M1 Gunner shows up on the plateau where the squad is. M2 Officer coming to be spotter on the shinobi - Naja and M2 Turret both fire on him. Sectoid disorients OW spec.

Turn 2, sniper fails to dislodge the Gunner, air drop a frag to finish it off with grenadier. OW with the spec despite disorient.

Rocketeer killed by dazed OW. Something else triggers an explosion on the spec, 1 of 2 armour shredded. 5 enemies shoot the spec and only 1 manages a graze - he's 1 HP below max. Turret squadsight shoots sniper for graze.

Turn 3, an Engineer that ran into the dense smoke is dispatched by grenadier and dazed spec. Another spec flanks a Sentry but fails to kill it due to extra HP from Tactical DE. Sniper gets into new position and fails to kill a Sectoid. Gunner makes a run to show himself as a new target.

Gunner gets shot once. Other targets are chosen by the AI and none of them hit. Zombies raised. Sentry dashes into dense smoke, shoots (miss) and OWs. M2 Officers rushing in from both flanks now.

Turn 4, the smoke wears off. Snapshot the 1 HP Sentry. Re-apply dense smoke, reload and incendiary with grenadier. Fleche an M2 Officer dead (the one on West). That activates a 2nd M2 Turret. Hacker guy isn't in position to see either turret. Retreat the specs and Aid Protocol up. OW spec is out of daze and back on his OW job.

Zombie tanks 1st Sentinel shot. Naja eats 2nd Sentinel shot (how dumb can you be, sniper snek?) and dies. Rocketeer coming in from East flank. Damn, spec was in squadsight (because zombie) of M2 Turret - my miscalculation of LoS.

Turn 5, hacker spec only had 46% chance to control turret. 100% chance stun used instead. Gunner shoots M2 Turret and only grazes, the holo guy can't take his shot if it's not guaranteed to kill that turret. Shinobi runs 2 OWs (both grazes) to fleche the zombie and let the OW spec move for a flank shot.

XCOM 2 crashes.

Sigh, I feel this happens every time I use smoke in high elevation. Is this a known issue? Will re-generate the map.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

New map for the S&G, this time we start in a transformer farm.

Turn 1, phantom snapshot on a Sidewinder - grazed. The pod of 3 scampers and a Sectoid has flanked itself to the rest of the squad. Flanked Sectoid dies to gunner's Mag Cannon. Sidewinder finished off with T1 combat protocol after a 42% hit chance rifle shot fails to graze it.

Last Sectoid panics a spec while eating a Covering Fire shot.

Turn 2, Lieutenant holo guy rapid targets and graze-finishes the Sectoid. EV spec runs up and activates 2 pods. Sniper kills the Rocketeer. Grenadier smokes the spec and kills an M1 Trooper. Gunner snags 4 with Area Suppression and gets Aid Protocol'd. Shinobi spots another 2 pods while in stealth.

Pod 4 is moving towards the squad but does not turn the corner this turn. Nothing dies to the EV spec (fat HP), zombies raised. Area Suppression shoots something but the graphics started to desync with all the action so uncertain what got shot.

Turn 3, T1 combat protocol a 2 HP Sectoid. Snipe Naja, set up OW wall to welcome pod 4. Gunner fails to kill a 6 HP zombie so Air Drop a frag for grenadier to launch after reloading.

OW wall kills an M2 Gunner and Stun Lancer. Another is alive. M2 Trooper comes into smoke and gets a good flank shot on OW spec (shaving exactly all of his ablative - thank armour). Gunner has flanked itself to Area Suppress.

Turn 4, Hail of Bullet the M2 Trooper in our smoke. Area Suppress an M2 Officer and M1 Sentry. Shinobi reveals to finish off Sectoid (AWC - Aim) with long distance Laser SMG shot. Sentry sniped (only good target).

Engineer flashbangs OW spec and gunner, but not before pod 4 had walked in and eaten some OW.

Turn 5, pod 4's Rocketeer sniped (68%). Master the Mec (65%) - too bad it lost all its armour from the OW. Pod 4's Engineer sniped (scampered into flank) by holo guy. Grenadier eats a full 7 dmg OW from pod 4's M2 Officer (forgot it had OW from scamper) to burn it. Heal grenadier up with spare action while picking up loot. Shinobi flanks M2 Officer and shoots - now left with 2 HP.

Pod 5 walks in on shinobi, Mec suppresses him. M2 Officer (from pod 3) with 2 HP decides holo is the best thing to do after getting into new cover.

Turn 6, Mastered Mec graze-kills pod 3's M2 Officer. Holo guy nails a 50% self-holo'd shot to kill pod 5's Rocketeer. Gunner and a spec both shoot Mec and don't do much. Just T2 combat protocol it away - don't want to risk activating turrets by hacking it.

Engineer dies to Threat Assessment OW by gunner. M2 Trooper OWs in good cover.

Turn 7, Mastered Mec micro missiles the Trooper, who then dies to Fleche. 3 M2 Turrets activate. Holo guy knocks 1 down to 1 HP. Gunner moves to low cover to graze it dead. Smoke the gunner's position (as well as the EV spec and shinobi) then shoot 2nd turret for 4 damage.

2nd M2 Turret dies to Covering Fire. 3rd one misses (4%).

Turn 8, Gotcha Again alerts to leaked information: pod 6 is barely visible. Set up OW spec right outside detection, then blue-move shinobi in such a way that... drat they don't take the flank bait. I swear a Trooper just double-scampered to the other side of the road. An M2 snek ate OW crit and is at 1 HP.

Holo guy takes his last shot this mission - he has to constantly dash to Evac now. Mostly kills the last M2 Turret which gunner finishes after reload. Shinobi shows off his AWC time: FLUSH kills the snek through high cover (68%). Engineer sniped by snapshot girl. Mastered Mec rocket jumps up 2 stories out of sight.

The 2 M2 Troopers run back and OW up.

Turn 9, snapshot sniper moves up and holos Trooper (too far away). Mastered Mec takes 70% shot and removes OW from closer Trooper. Air Drop a frag and grenadier kills that one and removes OW of the other Trooper. T2 Combat Protocol the Trooper to finish it - pretty sure there's nothing else on the map now.

Running simulator to pick up 4 crates. Squad is out just as the RNF bucket becomes red.

Debrief:
- Grenadier wounded 4 days. 123 supply recovered but no alloy.
- OW spec hits MSGT. Did I mention this guy has natural 10 Def? Nickname: "Overdrive"

Next up, a 6-man to get a scientist out of the city. It's nominally Light, I think I will intel boost this to 150% in time for the Intel mini-retal. I have 196 Intel and I've started contacting New Arctic.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

6-man vs Extract Scientist from city, V.Light Str 5 150% infil

Turn 1, scouting.

Turn 2, spot 2 pods with shinobi's yellow move. Grenadier officer (he has quick study) commands shinobi to get to better position. MSGT DfA grazes an M2 snek and the junior snapshots the Mec that came with snek.

Pod 2 walks around the car and then spots my OW wall, thus flanking my shinobi when they scamper. From this pod, nothing dies from the OW wall. The snek dies to a LCpl OW spec's 2nd shot.

Turn 3, Rocketeer of pod 2 took cover where it was already flanked by the DfA sniper. Dead. Engineer killed by ranger (2 shots). Incendiary the M2 Officer. Shinobi reveals pod 3 while blue moving towards loot - abort the planned flank shot on Officer and get to cover. Snapshot sniper similarly has to move twice because of the reveal.

Pod 3 gives up and OW spams after sheepishly walking out of high cover. What are they going to do against an 8+45+10 Def, 34+20+100 Dodge target? Well in the case of an M2 Guardian, crawl out of the building into a flank to the DfA sniper. Waste of good cover. DfA action spent to holo a Trooper for the junior sniper - graze but it's an M1 so it dies anyway. Fleche the M2 Grenadier.

Turn 4, RNF bucket now yellow. EV ranger dashes to spot pod 4: sneks. Sidewinder is DfA'd, the Naja will be tanked for 1 turn. Smoke and Aid Protocol up.

Naja gets tanked: stays still and shoots for 10% - miss.

Turn 5, holo the Naja, the veteran had steadied last turn. Naja dead.

Later, the RNF is a Muton and an M1 Trooper. The latter dies in OW, the Muton is burnt.

Flawless victory, though the lamppost's supplies didn't get hacked. Alien Data Cache among loot.

Note to self: PoI spawned on 4 July.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Intel mini-retal, Str 5, Light-Moderate

Turn 1, phantom snapshot on a Stun Lancer. Pod 1 has 3 goons remaining. M1 Officer and M1 Trooper die to 2 more snapshots.

Engineer, sole survivor of pod 1 reveals pod 2's position by how he runs.

Turn 2, snipe the M2 Officer in the back. Master the Mec and have it kill the M2 Officer (2 HP left). Snapshot the Engineer, graze, Command to do it again because the sniper officer has no good shots. Suppress the Shieldbearer, have LCpl OW spec and the MSGT OW spec both set up where they can see both remaining targets (the other is a Drone). Now that safe territory is known, tell Rebels to run away from the array - it can tank, they can't.

Pod 3 comes in from the side, see the hunkered rebels and get 1 mindspin off (daze). Shieldbearer and drone both die to LCpl OW spec (too bad this is Trial by Fire) as every reaction shot lands.

Turn 3, half the squad is running towards the rebels when pod 4 gets activated by the junior sniper. Aid Protocol him, present a more attractive target, Command the spec to Capacitor Discharge: Naja and Stun Lancer just die.

Pod 3 runs around like retards - the Trooper even jumps into the room with the array then jumps back out. At least the sidewinder snek spat poison on a rebel.

Turn 4, snipe the snek because perfect flank opportunity. That was pretty much the last major threat on the map. You can tell it's over when I'm using Hail of Bullets on an M1 Trooper. No casualties among rebels, no wounds on soldiers.

Ah a Rendezvous in East Europe. I should run an intense recruiting session there afterwards, it's Str 3. Hmm... Tactical DEs don't spawn if high vigilance. Strategic DE research is a 1 per world limit with 4~6 day cooldown. Drat I should have been recruiting hard in East Europe.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Lulz from Rendezvous: when an Officer gets dazed and has maximum Red Fog: 0 mobility despite being flanked from 2 directions. Poor guy just shoots the Resistance Mec while suppressed.

East Asia just hit Str 5, I think I want to liberate that place.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs Heavy S&G - Str 3, 10% infil

I really need some alloy - don't want to buy another shipment from the black market to start on coil. Launching now because East Africa made a 4 day Lib 2 offering a scientist - 3 days now.

Turn 1, junior snapshot sniper opens up on a Sergeant. Junior OW spec kills a Sentry while pod 1 scampers - only 1 Sentry left and it's just flanked itself to a simple blue-move from the TSgt ranger (hoping to promote her on this mission).

Btw, the shinobi had also spotted pod 2 - "Showtime" the snapshot officer kills a Scout and "Overdrive" the MSGT OW spec crits an M2 Gunner dead. Only an M2 Officer left now - it wisely decides to run away instead of face the OW wall of 2.

Turn 2, pod 3 spotted - 3 sneks. Sidewinder sniped, viper killed in OW, 2nd viper lives with 3 HP. Holo with "Showtime", ranger fails to graze it so phantom sniper finishes it.

Pod 4 walks in: 3 moar sneks and the M2 Viper survives an OW crit. They make an OW wall.

Turn 3, ranger kills M2 Viper (1 HP) through high cover. Gunner Hails sidewinder. Junior sniper reloads (Adv. Expanded Magazine) and holos last sidewinder. "Showtime" nails her. Shinobi spots M2 Turret. Phantom sniper grapples forward and walks into high cover before snapshooting it dead (Stiletto rounds).

Turn 4, spot 2 more M2 Turrets. Kill 1 with 2 sniper shots. "Overdrive" controls the other, make it kill pod 5's Rocketeer and OW.

Pods 6 and 7 walk into the hacked turret. Scamper themselves into vulnerable positions. 2 Mecs of Pod 7 start shredding away the hacked turret's 3 armour. Zombie raised which could have revealed shinobi if he didn't have Covert. M2 snek spitting on the Turret.

Turn 5, junior sniper takes the free kill on the self-flanked sidewinder. Junior spec ends up activating pod 8 while getting to cover. Double Tap to kill a Mec (Turret finishes it) and Sectoid. Run "Overdrive" into good cover (Low Profile) and OW while flanking 2 enemies (he's in the command range for Firing Discipline and a 100 Aim Lead by Example). Dash the phantom sniper way far out to the side - if pod 8 attempts to flank the squad (without taking the high ground) they'll get flanked. Gunner moved so pod 8 has an attractive target to look at.

Pod 8's snek spits on the Turret. Mec eats an OW shot (loses all its armour) to advance and kill Turret. Gunner gets dazed by mindspun: I missed a ladder and they took the shortcut. Sectoid dies to "Overwatch"'s 2nd OW and Stun Lancer (who was marked by him) misses him.

Turn 6, dazed gunner kills zombie. Junior spec blue moves over and kills pod 8's sidewinder from flank. Junior sniper (who has not moved since turn 1) finishes Mec. Ranger trivially kills Stun Lancer. Phantom sniper lands a 67% shot on M2 Officer, removing OW. "Overdrive" gives Threat Assessment to junior spec (who is also flanking a Sectoid) and kills M2 Officer with Capacitor Discharge. Shinobi changes position around tree (Peak from Concealment mod) without breaking stealth and OWs. "Showtime" hits a 65% shot on Sectoid but rolls low on damage.

M2 snek dashes up to tree, spots shinobi, tongues "Overdrive". Nobody takes shots at Overdrive - the Shieldbearer is lazy and OWs without moving. Almost dead Sectoid runs away and zombies. Flanked Sectoid survives junior spec's OW and fails to win the mindspin fight.

Turn 7, junior spec casually flanks the Sectoid he shot last turn (what is the point of running OW if you just flank yourself again?) but grazes - 1 HP left. So the phantom sniper has to finish the job. Shinobi double slashes the M2 snek, stuns on 2nd try. Junior sniper (he's snapshot btw) kills zombie. Dash ranger to kill snek next turn. Dash gunner up to Shieldbearer, Command to suppress. "Overdrive" has 1 ammo and is ready with Covering Fire.

2 HP Sectoid moves to dumb position to shoot junior spec. Shieldbearer hunkers.

Turn 8, junior spec walks over and kills Sectoid from flank. Gunner blue moves to flank Shieldbearer and Ruptures. Then gets Commanded to finish it off. Time to pillage. Damn... miscounted: there was another pod. Only one with an action to save the shinobi is "Overdrive" - hacks a drone.

Stun Lancer charges at drone. M2 Grenadier decides incendiary grenade isn't a good idea and just shoots...

Turn 9, Gunner increments kill count with Stun Lancer. Fleche grazes M2 Grenadier, switch it off with drone.

M2 Grenadier thinks it can avoid OW by moving just 1 tile. "Overdrive" is still flanking it and Covering Fire kills it before the shinobi is shot.

Timer ran out, 8-man RNF pod comes in and 5 die to OW wall while we wait for the last runner.

Flawless victory. 38 kills. Got my alloy (21).

"The Kid" hits MSGT: phantom snapshot sniper who picked up Serial. She's waiting to go in the AWC tube for Ghostwalker and Covert.

Hmm, I think I'll try Warden first before Coilgun. 10 days with my current setup. It is July 6.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

5-man E.Light hack mission in July with underlevelled soldiers.

Squad got out with no wounds after killing just 4 of 8 enemies. Pod 1 was burnt and OW'd, pod 2's M2 Lancer was fleched by an AWC gunner (Vibroblade!) and the 3rd pod never activated. Pod 2's M2 Gunner's OW was ran with Aid Protocol as the squad evac'd out - I mean what's a Gunner meant to do otherwise when there's smoke everywhere?
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs V.Heavy "Scientist in Vehicle" - 33% infil

Turn 1, nothing nearby and no good sight due to building. Shinobi spots a pod, snipers creep along edge of map. Medic checks the flank while squad concealment is up.

Spotted pod walks away into fog. New pod seen by "Overdrive" the MSGT OW spec.

Turn 2, shinobi checks other flank, "The Kid" the MSGT phantom snapshot sniper with Serial takes that flank. "Overdrive" self Threat Assessment and becomes a one-man OW wall. Medic scouts rooftop and is spotted by a 2-Mec pod! 2 OW shots go off from "Overdrive". Mec runs to melee range of Medic, gets one-shot by the ranger (still hoping to hit GSGT). Archer Mec is around so spread out the snipers - smoke for "Overdrive" while at it. Medic hunkers. "Showtime" the sniper officer (Colonel) double taps to graze-kill an M2 Officer and OW.

Archer moves back and bombards the Medic's position - 1 HP and all ablative lost. M2 Trooper triggers OW from both "Overdrive" and "Showtime" - dead. M2 Guardian gives up on the Medic and leaps down 2 stories to OW behind high cover.

Turn 3, shinobi spots more pods. Pod 3 activated by "Showtime" with a kill shot on the Gunner. Reload "Overdrive" and Capacitor Discharge on pod 3 - 2 targets left at 1 HP. Gunner demolishes Sergeant's cover. "The Kid" breaks stealth by killing 3 with Serial then moves to Lone Wolf position and steadies weapon. Try to bait the Archer into a favourable position by moving ranger close to "Overdrive".

Archer instead goes inside building and suppresses Medic. Pod 3's other half comes out of fog and Shieldbearer punches the ground.

Turn 4, pod 4 approaching the noise, they're bound to orange-alert next turn. Move shinobi to safe vantage point. Activate stimpack on CUP gunner, move up and OW with Threat Assessment. "Showtime" greets pod 4 by oneshotting the Sergeant through the 3 ablative shield. Gunner's double OW removes ablatives from 2 targets, marking them for death. Though really, all of pod 4 died this turn due to "Showtime"'s 2nd shot, the ranger and the 2 snipers at the back who had steadied. Medic climbs ladder (still 1 tile!) to get away from Archer and hunkers.

Archer comes downstairs and suppresses "Overdrive", removing OW. 2 M2 Guardians and Shieldbearer OW wall. The latter ate the ranger's OW and is at 4 HP 2 armour.

Turn 5, gunner Hails the Shieldbearer, eating a Covering Fire shot from a Guardian (only the ablative was lost). Shields down. Grapple around to get high ground on the Guardians, kill one with 2 sniper shots. That frees up the ranger to go and shoot the Archer - graze. That stops the suppression so "Overdrive" can move forward and OW while seeing both the Archer and the flanked Guardian.

Archer eats OW with just a graze. Guardian lives with 1 HP. Pod 5 walks in on "The Kid"! Orange-alert flank shot on the junior sniper (dammit) but "The Kid" is only suppressed. Was too aggressive with the grapples.

Turn 6, Double Tap to remove sidewinder and suppressing Muton. "The Kid" snipes a Stun Lancer. Threat Assessment on "The Kid" and offer the shinobi as a better target. "Overdrive" now kills the Archer. EV ranger runs to support shinobi. Gunner suppresses a Muton. Heal the hurt sniper and try to 40% snapshot from long range - graze a snek.

Pod 6 walks in and another Shieldbearer punches the ground. Suppressed Muton tries to shoot, avoids the Covering Fire but misses the ranger. What's left of pod 5 (Muton, Snek) give up on "The Kid" and OW around.

Turn 7, "The Kid" perfect high rolls on damage to kill Muton. Junior sniper (who has Executioner) finishes off snek he grazed last turn. Shinobi runs up to Muton and sets him on fire. EV ranger climbs up on roof to scout ahead then reloads. Aid Protocol the shinobi. "Overdrive" runs into smoked position (courtesy of "Showtime") and sets up shop.

Ranger still gets seen by a Stun Lancer (of all things) and is shot - miss.

Turn 8, RNF bucket goes red. Burning Muton holo'd by junior sniper and "The Kid" finishes it. Pick up loot it dropped with shinobi then fleche the Stun Lancer. "Showtime" oneshots the Shieldbearer and EV ranger moves up into flank on 2 enemies.

RNF arrives away from the OW wall. Pod 6 loses an M2 Officer and something else to the OW party. Last of Pod 6 is an M1 Sentry which lands 2 ablative damage on shinobi.

Turn 9, RNF Mec killed by junior sniper. Ranger flanks Sentry and grazes. Medic jumps down from roof to finish it and picks up loot. RNF Guardian cut down by shinobi. Squad moves up and "The Kid" even manages to pick up some far-away loot.

R U SRS, there's still Faceless among civilians? Faceless swipes at "Showtime" for 1 ablative damage. RNF Gunner dies to "Overdrive". The M2 Trooper survives the 2nd OW but goes into OW in the worst position possible. Maybe not quite the worst as there's a nice wall preventing "The Kid" from walking into a flank shot.

Turn 10, gunner shoots Faceless, then is Commanded to do it again and finishes the job. "The Kid" grapples up and then jumps down to snapshot the M2 Trooper.

No ammo on the snipers, no time to reload, mad dash to the very distant evac.

2nd RNF drop, 4 M2 Troopers alive after a small OW party. Have "Overdrive" make a stand while the rest of the squad moves out of sight and towards the evac.

3rd RNF drop but the squad is out.

1 wound on the junior sniper (8 days) and ranger hits GSGT
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man... not-GOp squad. 121% infil because this is a Strategic DE prevention mission (Str 5). Yes I had 8 guys camp a mission for 10+ days. No snipers, no specs, mostly lowbies. V.Light enemies - this is Gatecrasher redux but with no qualms about explosives. There are 3 technicals.

So... Turn 2, rocket 2 overlapping pods. Pod 1's remnant is a 4 HP Shieldbearer. Pod 2 suffers no damage (damn M2 Sidewinder) beyond the rocket.

Shieldbearer punches a drone for +3 shields. Could have buffed the M2 snek but no, drone!

Turn 3, sap the M2 snek and kill it with an 82 aim SGT technical. Burn and double suppress the Shieldbearer (because don't want to move forwards). Drone is killed by a ranger.

Pod 3 walks in and rolls no reactions.

Turn 4, rocket pod 3's M2 guys and... miss. 82 aim FitH rocket and it scattered just off to only blow up the Sectoid's cover. Oh and set the car on fire. Command that technical to shoot the Sectoid - killed. Suppress Shieldbearer and this time move units to flank it.

Shieldbearer runs suppression and dies. 77 aim gunner avoids 2 shots despite only having low cover and gets a suppression shot (graze) on the M2 Guardian as it was running from the car.

Turn 5, car blows up hitting nothing. Mec grinded down with lowbies after giving it 2 frags (squad has lasers but so many grazes). Get in position for 3rd rocket. Shinobi spots pod 4 fairly close. Oh well, we've smoked in low cover.

Oh, the M2 Guardian walks out of high cover and dies to the EV ranger. M2 Scout OWs without moving and pod 4 doesn't roll any reactions (120% infil matters).

Turn 6, rocket the Muton's cover and ranger kills it in 1 shot. Suppress Scout to remove OW and reveal shinobi to cut it down. Only an M1 Trooper left. Move 82 aim technical in position to flank and shoot next turn.

Trooper self-flanks itself and OWs.

Turn 7, lowbie technical walks 3 tiles and shoots Trooper in the flank. RNF bucket is red. Pick up loot and OW up.

Turn 8, 2 actions to kill RNF after the OW, kill the relay (it's an 8-man with at least lasers - lots of actions).

Debrief:
- 1 wound: LCpl gunner - 8 days
- No promotions (lol EXP spread so thin)
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs 8 turn hack mission. V.Heavy, 19% infil (2 days), Str 5

Turn 1, spot pod 1 with a Heavy Mec with dashing "Jaybird" the EV ranger. Threat Assessment on "Jaybird". Squaddie sniper shoots Heavy Mec. Ranger shoots 3 times and kills an M1 Sentry and M2 Guardian. "Turret" the AWC grenadier, rapid smokes herself and "Jaybird" then Chain Shots the Heavy Mec - kills it on first shot. "Jaybird" now procs EV.

"Jaybird" shoots M2 Rocketeer with Covering Fire but doesn't kill it - eats a rocket and is 3 HP below max. Her cover survives. Nobody else in range aside from the Mec that thought suppressing "Overdrive" the MSGT OW spec was its best move.

Turn 2, noob sniper grazes Mec. "Turret" Hails an M1 Trooper who was flanking "Jaybird". "Jaybird" reloads and OWs. "Overdrive" dash into low cover (Low Profile) and EV. This is with the Mec still standing there. "Showtime" the sniper officer nails a 68% shot to kill M2 Rocketeer - "The Kid" the phantom sniper had grappled over to holo.

Pod 2 walks in and instantly loses a drone and Shieldbearer to "Jaybird". Then loses a Mec and a Guardian to further OW shots. M2 snek OW while flanking "Jaybird".

Turn 3, Double Tap from "Showtime" both miss the M2 snek. "Turret" reloads and shoots to graze, removing OW. Shinobi scouts a clear flank, "Jaybird" dashes in to grab loot, as does "The Kid". Threat Assessment on "Jaybird".

M2 snek tried to run and dies to "Overdrive" OW.

Turn 4, no contact. Pod 3 walks into view next to objective.

Turn 5, position snipers on both sides of the train. "Jaybird" sets up assuming the pod will cross the train.

Pod 3 crosses the train. M2 Grenadier, M2 Trooper die for that, M2 Lancer at 1 HP. Shieldbearer punches ground.

Turn 6, RNF goes red. Noob sniper blows up a tanker. "Turret" smokes and oneshots the Shieldbearer. Shinobi spots pod 4: 3 sneks. Double Tap on the M2 Sidewinder (to 1HP) then on the Naja that was too dumb to move into proper cover and thus self-flanked. "The Kid" emerges from stealth to Serial on a Guardian and Naja - both flanked. Then OWs with remaining action. Shinobi might be the one to hack, but send Medic out there.

RNF Muton eats "The Kid" OW shot and grazes. Shieldbearer eats the 2nd of "Overdrive" OW shot. M2 Lancer at 1 HP dies to "Jaybird".

Turn 7, "Showtime" shows up flanking Muton and shoots it - 1 HP left. Noob sniper lands 46% shot to remove 1 HP M2 Sidewinder. Gamble on Capacitor Overload: kills both M1 Trooper and Shieldbearer that were behind "Overdrive". "The Kid" 92% shoots the last RNF which was behind both her and the spec.

I don't know where this Sidewinder was hiding but it had to full dash to see us.

Turn 8, "The Kid" puts snek out of misery. Dash back and OW against any remaining enemies.

Turn 9, RNF bucket goes red again. Move noob sniper closer, steady weapon and Threat Assessment to give her an instant steady OW.

RNF pod arrives, most die. Annoying Archer that OW on spawn, needs "Showtime" to dislodge it meaning the squad must wait another turn.

"Jaybird" in medbay for 4 days. Get a Facility Lead. Get Elite Magazine for "Jaybird".

Oh, a full retal on East Asia.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Haven Retal: wait 5 turns for evac and get 8 rebels out of there.

RNF 1 is 2-man and one is killed by OW party. The Sidewinder dies to Cpl gunner's Fleche (awesome AWC) after she had rescued a rebel on turn 1. By Turn 2, the squad has vision on all 8 rebels.

RNF 2 is 3-man, one dies from OW party and a Sergeant tanks the rest. Guardian gets flanked by a distant spec who rescued and the Cpl gunner lands a 42% shot at graze to finish it. That frees up Cpl grenadier to melee-range shoot the Sergeant dead.

RNF 3 is 4-man including an Archer that OWs immediately. Something dies to OW. Master the Archer. Noob sniper rapid targets and nails the 81% shot on M2 Rocketeer. M2 Lancer snapshot dead by "Showtime" the sniper officer. All rebels contacted, no Faceless.

RNF 4 is 5-man and lands way too far away for any OW action. 6 rebels evac. Mastered Archer missiles 2 and Double Tap finishes them both: Shieldbearer and M2 Grenadier. Nothing else dies this turn - nobody else in range.

RNF 5 arrives, right inside the smoke grenade I put down. 1 Naja, 2 Sectoids still die to OW party. 2 Mecs die to MSGT hacker spec's Capacitor Discharge - RNF 5 wiped. Combat Protocol RNF 4's Guardian to remove OW. Noob sniper grapples towards evac and shoots at flanked Sergeant from RNF 4 - 1 HP left. Shinobi finshes Sergeant and Hit & Runs back to evac. Mastered Mec missiles Guardian to finish it. Command the squaddie assault that ran to the edge of the map to hurry over.

RNF 6 arrives, M2 Viper and Sentry die to OW. Shinobi moves, shoots dead a weakened M2 Guardian and then Fleches a Sidewinder. Vibroblade Fleche a Rocketeer dead. Last Sidewinder killed by Resistance Mec blowing up its cover and someone shooting it.

RNF 7 arrives, most die to the OW party (squad is converged near evac now) but an M2 Mec is in OW. Make the Resistance Mec run that OW. Spam AoEs on the M2 Mec and finish it off with shinobi. Finish off M2 Lancer with combat protocol and the squad is out.

29 kills, no human soldier took a shot - eh almost, the Archer's OW missed at 12% hit chance. 4 soldiers benefit from Trial by Fire.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Quiet time and then missions spawn - recruitment drive does that. Meaning a lot of places are screaming for an 8-man GOp squad. They shall have it.

8-man GOp squad vs Moderate-Heavy S&G - 19% infil

Turn 1, set up an OW wall for pod 1. As soon as the Mec took a step, it activated. But they scatter so conservatively only the Mec takes more OW shots and dies. There's a Rocketeer and M2 Grenadier out there and 4 OWs...

Turn 2. Due to a slight mixup, I have 2 RT snipers of which one is a noob. But I do have a Sgt assault who uses a rifle. She has EXO and Lightning Reflexes. Lay smoke for her (and half the squad - fat smoke). Rocketeer outright dies to EXO punch, Grenadier with no cover is easy target for noob sniper.

"Colt" the RT sniper officer comes out of phantom stealth to kill the M2 Trooper that had flanked itself to him on scatter. "Turret" the AWC grenadier Hails the Guardian. "Overdrive" the MSGT OW spec moves up to see both remaining targets and OWs. "The Kid" breaks stealth and snapshots Engineer for graze. MSGT hacker finishes him off with 58% hit chance.

Guardian runs the OW and dies.

Turn 3, shinobi sees 2 M2 Turrets and pod 2. A risky dash by "Overdrive" to snag loot - on assumption that there won't be another pod at the edge of the map. Snipers kill the Turrets. Hack a lamp for alloy.

Turn 4, "The Kid" opens up on pod 2's Muton - graze. It scampers into some totally useless cover as it's already flanked by the noob sniper. Too bad she missed a 72% shot. Set up an OW wall for the Muton.

Muton is scared and just OWs - while completely exposed. Sectoid runs in and flanks shinobi. "Overdrive" gets dazed by another one that survived his OW at 1 HP.

Turn 5, Muton dies to "Colt" snipe. Rifle assault moves up and grazes Sectoid in low cover. "Doomshot" the SMG shinobi gets to melee range flank and finishes that Sectoid and gets Hit & Run action. Noob sniper holos 1 HP Sectoid and "Doomshot" kills it with Flush (AWC). "The Kid" walks into the open and steadies - don't see anything but hoping to get a contact next turn. Frontlines have moved well forward so she should be safe.

Turn 6, "Doomshot" runs up the side of the building and spots pod 3. The Mec jumped straight to the roof. Kinda annoying. "Turret" lays down 3rd (and last) smoke. No squadsight on anything in pod 3. Set up new OW front and move "Doomshot" out of vision.

"Doomshot" gets flanked by a green-alert pod. Mec already in OW after scamper. Nothing dies in pod 6 (no OW officer buff) - Mec at 1 HP though.

Turn 7, "The Kid" starts a risky Serial. Guardian down (it was flanked) but Grenadier is only grazed. Noob sniper finishes 1 HP Mec. Assault removes remaining OWs with a dash. Time to make a risky play: the problem is the M2 Viper. "Turret" Chain Shots from where she is: kills a Mec on roof. "Doomshot" jumps down and hits the other Mec with Redscreen Rounds. Sadly, highest damage roll was not what I wanted but Flush was on cooldown. Master this 4 HP Mec. Threat Assessment on the Mec. Lots of flanking opportunities for that Viper.

Viper tongues "Doomshot" and misses (low profile) then spits on him (Hazmat) while taking 6 damage from the Mec. Guardian dies to "Overdrive". "Turret" gets holo'd but nobody hits her.

Turn 8, "Turret" fails to kill snek with Hail. "Doomshot" shows up, kills Grenadier with flanking shot then Fleches the snek dead while standing in fire (Hazmat). "The Kid" halves M2 Officer's health. Other snipers don't see anything so move and steady. Mastered Mec starting to move back to evac. Don't make assault jump in, I know there's more out there.

M2 Officer retreats and shows where the other pod is.

Turn 9, I thought the Officer had run to a pod but it hadn't reached it yet. Run & Gun rifle shot on flank... graze. Mastered Mec shoots, misses. So I bring in combat protocol.

Final pod orange-alerts into the assault and opens fire. Sigh, looks like she'll be spending time in the Medbay - she's 2 HP below max.

Turn 10, "Colt" holos Muton and steadies. The other 2 snipers kill it. Assault heals self (Field Medic) and reloads, then gets Threat Assessment.

Sneks land 2 hits on assault. Her tile goes on fire and she burns. Yeah, lots of medbay time.

Turn 11, "Doomshot" shows up and double shoots Engineer dead. "Turret" shows up and throws incendiary on M2 snek. Snipers knock down an M1 snek and combat protocol finishes it. "Overdrive" runs up and EV watches.

M2 snek runs while on fire and dies to OW. M1 snek tries to be efficient but misses both actions (tongue and shoot).

Turn 12, "Doomshot" walks up to snek and shoots it. "Colt" intervenes to extend timer.

Waiting for a 10 mob guy to come back with the loot. Timer expires, immediately hit Jammer.

Fun fact: Jammer only delays the immediate RNF, it doesn't touch the next one. 2 RNF show up at once.

Assault is down for 10 days. Total 30 alloy picked up. "Doomshot" and "Turret" hit MSGT.

East Africa is now Str 6 - time to go full supply and put a GSGT advisor to bait a supply mini-retal. It'll suck if the Strategic DE spawns there but oh well. Actually I should calculate what the detection chances are for that.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

So I've just run some numbers over here. Seems I should go 3 supply and the rest on intel in East Africa until we find a Strategic DE (cooldown for that should have expired). Need to scan in New Arctic for about 3 days then scan some in East Africa before I contact West US.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs Swarming+ Troop Column - 28% infil, Str 5

Turn 1, spot pod but trailer van is in the way. Set up position.

Turn 2, pod moving around, further spread out in our tiny corner and steady up.

Pod 1 spots "Slayer" the shotgun assault hunkering (Aim). No OW shots anywhere.

Turn 3, "Slayer" stuns Muton Centurion (79% through high cover). Snipers remove an M2 viper and Sectoid. "Showtime" the sniper officer forfeits an attack (because M1 Sentry not important) to put smoke on "Slayer". SGT OW spec Aid Protocol on "Slayer" and OW. "SU-100" the Traverse Fire technical OW at the flank that pod 1 will be making.

Flank attempt by M1 Trooper denied by SGT spec. M2 viper grazes "SU-100" for 2 (of 5 ablative).

Turn 4, squad is more or less in position now so... rocket the van. Snipers remove the completely exposed Muton Centurion and M2 Viper. "Slayer" walks up, dodges the Sentry's OW, shotguns the Sectoid from range 3, CE walks to new cover.

Sentry denies me his corpse by not moving from a burning van. Fails his 5% shot on "Slayer" (Covering Fire malus). The van is no longer obstructing view.

Turn 5, "Slayer" picks up loot and game leaks info on pod 2 at edge of vision. Decide to just hunker in low cover with Aid Protocol. Medic dashes to look at an unlikely flank while staying out of the way. Snipers shift positions and Steady Weapon.

Just as planned, pod 2 walks towards rocket noise and sees "Slayer". They scamper really far from the rest of the squad. It's only a 4-man pod.

Turn 6, snipers kill 3 things, M2 Grenadier is so far away it can't do anything when "Slayer" (sole visible tank) runs back and hunkers down with Aid Protocol.

M2 Grenadier walks to low cover and hunkers because "Slayer" is unshootable.

Turn 7, teach the M2 Grenadier that low cover is as good as no cover. No further contacts.

Turn 8, thanks to Scanning Protocol from SGT spec, confirm there is nothing inside the building he's standing on. Seems the coast is clear to move the MSGT DfA sniper onto the roof - the other stays on the ground due to angle. Shinobi spots double pod way far away.

Turn 9, move "Slayer" to be forward tank except... spot a different pod instead. The double pod have yet to activate. This new pod (#3) has 2 Rocketeers in it... they're both sniped, as is the Naja. "Slayer" runs back to low cover and gets the usual def buffs to prepare for the M2 Lancer.

M2 Lancer lives with 1 HP despite eating 2 OW shots. "Slayer" gets away with losing 2 (of 5) ablative. All this noise is attracting the double pod.

Turn 10, AMF DfA the Archer of pod 4 then move away from edge of roof. Activate pod 5 by killing M1 Gunner (only priority target visible). "SU-100" kills the M2 Lancer and OWs (probably too far away). "Slayer" gets Aid Protocol then walks into good cover and EXO PUNCH for 4 kills (including Rocketeer) and damage 3 more. Medic shuts down the M2 drone that's still alive after the EXO.

"SU-100" kills a Stun Lancer that ran from the wrong side of a car. Lots of things shoot at "Slayer" (he doesn't have smoke) - 1 HP below max.

Turn 11, DfA an M2 Grenadier then jump off roof. "Slayer" dash into high cover far away. Prepare (but don't show) Medic as extra tank - did you know Damn Good Ground gives +10 def?

Zombie eats the OW wall. Remnants of the 3 pods move cautiously towards "Slayer" - only one Trooper gets to shoot (5%) and miss. An Engineer and M2 Officer are huddled up next to dumpster. They would have flanked themselves to a sniper if only I'd thought to move one further to the side.

Turn 12, "SU-100" steps sideways into low cover (the destroyed van) and Iron Curtains - nothing dies but nobody is going anywhere now: Engineer at 0 mobility, Sentry at 2 mobility and M2 Officer at 1 mobility (red fog). "Slayer" runs up to M2 drone, shotguns it, picks up loot, runs out of sight. "SU-100" is now the tank. "Double Tap" to remove a flank-threat Trooper in high cover (48%). Reckless move: have "Wisp" the Evasive shinobi break concealment to kill another M2 Officer on the other side of dumpster - the unmovable enemies can't do anything about her. But an M2 Guardian I didn't see before can. Shinobi is new tank, Aid Protocol her.

Last pod orange-alerts into "Wisp" - I knew that was reckless. Except nothing rolls an action - M2 viper got tagged by Medic's OW so can't shoot. Guardian misses "Wisp" at 24%.

Turn 13, pod 6's Rocketeer had flanked itself to a sniper - gets Command to reload afterwards. AMF guy snipes an M2 Gunner. Traverse Fire and hunker with "SU-100". "Slayer" moves to door and hunker-aims. "Wisp" fleches the stationary Engineer to put herself in excellent cover and out of sight all while picking up loot.

2 Najas in pod 6, they're happy to take -30% shots. M2 viper that's spotting for them is inconvenient.

Turn 14, "Wisp" with Shadowstep peeks out, spots for a sniper shot, then vanishes out of sight. Lots of hunkering otherwise, including "Slayer" who is waiting for the snek to move closer.

Snek takes the hunker bait and spits on the Medic (lolol).

Turn 15, AMF the Shieldbearer. Snek is in perfect position to take a CE melee shot before "Slayer" vanishes, but it's also the perfect position to snipe her flank. "Wisp" shows up from fog, lets "Showtime" Double Tap a Naja dead, then Fleches a Guardian - does not kill it. "Slayer" kicks down door and Run & Gun to stungun the other Naja through high cover (99% hit chance). Guardian finished off by Medic who jumped down into flank - 79%.

Turn 16, "Slayer" walks to the Naja's side and shoots her - graze. CE shoot again, crit.

38+1 kills. Flawless.

Debrief:
- "SU-100" promoted to MSGT
- "Wisp" promoted to GSGT
- "Slayer" promoted to GSGT
- Medic promoted to GSGT
- 2nd DfA sniper promoted to GSGT

Mid-July and Psionics has been researched - building the lab but in no hurry to staff scientists in there (I have 1 rookie at 34 psi). Coilgun research begin. 10 intel rebels in East Europe for days and nothing turning up. Too much vigilance perhaps. Got to watch for a Strategic DE somewhere though. East Asia's HQ being infiltrated again. I should leapfrog over to West US soon, but I should scan in East Africa a couple more days just to be safe. Would be good to dig up a Lib 3 there too.
1st
2nd
3rd
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

Wait what, a rookie with 34 psi?!
Are you 100% certain? If so that guy's going to wind up a psionic god because average rookie psi is 15 I think? Wow.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

JulianSkies wrote:Wait what, a rookie with 34 psi?!
Are you 100% certain? If so that guy's going to wind up a psionic god because average rookie psi is 15 I think? Wow.
Screenshot crop attached. Doesn't compromise Health, Defence or Mobility for it either. I guess Aim is really expensive points-wise when rolling NCE.

In other news, WTF East Europe went from Str 3 to Str 5 in a hurry. Put a spare TSGT sniper as advisor there. Drat and they got a strategic DE through: Haven Infiltrators - right before I got 5 rebels from a Jailbreak.
Attachments
PsiRookie.png
PsiRookie.png (17.17 KiB) Viewed 27994 times
Last edited by Psieye on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st
2nd
3rd
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8-man GOp squad vs Moderate-Heavy "Extract an Assault out of city" - 20 turn limit, Str 4, 41% infil

Cast:
- "The Kid": MSGT phantom snapshot sniper
- "Apex": GSGT DfA sniper
- "Red": TSGT flame technical (will broken, has mindshield)
- "Turret": MSGT grenadier with AWC Hail of Bullets
- "Overdrive": MSGT OW spec with AWC Low Profile
- "Doomshot": MSGT shinobi with AWC Flush and Aim
- "Gizmo": MSGT hacker spec
- "Colt": GSGT holo officer (has Jammer)

Turn 1, no contact

Turn 2, hack lamp for Deception (100%). Get a Muton and activate 2 pods halfway across the map, giving "Apex" something to shoot. "Colt" activates pod 3 (for some reason the Muton didn't activate this one). That gives "The Kid" a target. Between them, the snipers have removed an M2 Officer and M2 Trooper. "Overdrive" advances and "Turret" rapid smokes while joining him.

Deceived Muton tanks 4 shots before dying. A Sergeant and M2 Trooper come into vision.

Turn 3, Focus Fire + holo on the Sergeant (low cover). "Turret" misses but "The Kid" crits it to death. "Apex" fails to oneshot an M2 Trooper (2 HP left).

Lots more targets come into sight and set up OW wall. A Muton suppresses "Overwatch"'s 3 OWs.

Turn 4, "Red" shows up on rooftop to shoot suppressing Muton in the flank - 1 damage from graze and armour. "The Kid" snapshots an M2 Trooper dead. "Overdrive" Capacitor Discharge killing an M1 Trooper and hitting a Muton. "Colt" holos formerly-suppressing Muton then Commands "Overdrive" to OW. "Apex" fails to finish off dazed Muton. "Turret" receives frag and launches it on the formerly-suppressing Muton and an M2 Trooper. "Doomshot" breaks stealth to point-blank kill said M2 Trooper with Mag SMG. Then Rapid Fires the Muton to death. A Centurion can see "Doomshot", this may not be good for him (misjudged so no Aid Protocol this turn).

Pod 4 (3-man) shows up and nothing dies to "Overdrive"'s double OW. Centurion bayonet charges "Doomshot" for 8 damage.

Turn 5, "Doomshot" reloads and shoots 3 times to kill Centurion. "The Kid" goes Serial - 87% on low cover Engineer kills by graze; 81% on holo'd 1 HP Muton crits; 70% on holo'd 2 HP M2 Trooper hits. Activate pod 5 somehow by sniping a Trooper?! "Gizmo" shows up on rooftop and Masters pod 5's Mec (it probably won't live...). "The Kid" misses 4th shot on 3 HP M2 Officer, ending Serial. "Red" moves behind a statue and hunkers, hoping for some flank shot on something. "Turret" eats an OW shot (5 damage) to rescue "Doomshot" by Hailing down a Sidewinder that had scampered from pod 5's BS activation. Retrospect: unnecessary risk, the Mastered Mec had an action and was flanking the M2 Trooper that took the OW shot. Instead kill the M2 Officer that ate "Overdrive"'s OW with the Mec. "Apex" kills Sectoid with a stiletto shot and steadies. Threat Assessment on the Mec and OW with "Overdrive".

Sidewinder spits on Mec. Muton eats 2 shredding OW shots (Mec and "Overdrive") - both grazes - then shoots Mec for 6 damage. Engineer flashbangs "Turret" and "Overdrive". M2 Naja finishes Mec.

Turn 6, "Gizmo" runs into rooftop low cover to Capacitor Discharge. Kills Enginner, Sidewinder and the double-shredded Muton. Pick up loot with "Doomshot" and hunker. Reload and hunker with "Turret". Dash with "The Kid" and "Colt". "Red" runs into Naja's blindspot flank, ready to jump on her next turn (Naja has a target). "Apex" takes out an Engineer behind full cover (elite stock) and reloads.

M2 Trooper gets oneshot crit by "Overdrive"'s OW - that's despite the flashbang he took. "Colt" has yet to learn the "OW officer" perks. M2 Naja reloads and spits on Doomshot (hazmat).

Turn 7, "Turret" moves up and incendiaries Naja, leaving it at 2 HP. "Red" walks into view and 95% shoots Naja's flank to get her requisite 1 kill this mission. Kill count: 22, probably nothing left on the map. RNF bucket is yellow.

Huh, I can medical protocol on a random civilian that ran into a poison puddle.

Turn 8, run towards evac.

Turn 9, RNF bucket go red. VIP out (he'd been taking the long route while squad had everything aggro'd). Could Jammer this bucket but nah.

RNF land and don't even activate - too far away. 2 turns later, whole squad is out.

"Doomshot" down for 10 days. No promotions. "Red" regains will. VIP becomes a SGT assault and needs 7 days in medbay. AWC says he'll get EV, Rapid Reaction, Sprinter and Hunter's Reaction. 66 Aim? No problem, just stick by an OW Colonel!

Put "Colt" in the officer tube, it's time to make him a Colonel (quick study).

Hmm... New Arctic just hit Str 3. All these troop movements. Wait, mere days (and a 5-man Jailbreak) later, 2 Str moves out of New Arctic? East Africa now up to 7 Str? Advent can move around fast. Lib3 showed up with 8 days in East Africa - I'm going to 8-man that even though there's so much time. 1 day left to reach 100% non-boosted on East Asia's HQ.

More time passes and Lib 2 spawns in West Asia (Str 2) with less than 3 days. Looks like the HQ 8-man squad will be doing that first and then I'll worry about the Lib 3 in a Str 7 region. All this may go out the window depending on how the HQ goes.
1st
2nd
3rd