New Campaign Crash

whitelion1284

New Campaign Crash

Post by whitelion1284 »

Hey all, so I decided to start a new campaign without a number of mods that I was playing with before and with a few that I'd like to try. I'm not new to modding so I followed a few steps along the way.

1. I deleted my config files (although I kept a backup of XcomInput.ini).
2. I unchecked every mod except LW_Overhaul.
3. I started a new campaign.

It crashed the first time after nagging me about disabling the tutorial, but I was expecting that and simply restarted. When it continued to crash, though, I knew something was wrong. Since then I have verified the local files, deleted my config folder again, and tried several more times to begin a new campaign. I'm about to completely uninstall XCOM 2 and then reinstall from scratch... with 3 hours worth of downloading from steam.

Any thoughts / suggestions / logs I can provide / etc?

Cheers
nmkaplan

Re: New Campaign Crash

Post by nmkaplan »

TrackTwo posted somewhere not long ago about an issue that can pop up when you try to remove mods.

It involves the fact that the game pulls a soldier from your most recent save game to display on the starting screen, and when you disable a mod, it will sometimes try to pull info from that save (which has the mod enabled) that no longer exists (since you've disabled the mod).

The solution is to delete or move your save files. Try that before you use the heavy hammer with a full reinstall.

EDIT: Found the thread I'm remembering:

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 124#p46124
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Thanks for the reply but I did that already as well. I like my campaign saves to start at 1 so I already copied and pasted all of the old saves into a different folder.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

To be clear I am while the squad is in the skyranger immediately after I hit "any button" to start the mission.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Within the Mods folder, does it matter what the LW_Overhaul folder is named? For instance, if I wanted to control load order, would it matter if I named the folder 01 LW_Overhaul?
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Okay, I think I know what happened. I just don't know how to fix it. How do I run Long War first time setup again?
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Never Mind. I figured it out.

If anyone ever ends up here looking into the same problem what happened was I renamed the Long War folder to 01 LW_Overhaul. That seemed to screw everything up. When I created the completely fresh install I did the same thing all over again. Then, upon restarting the game, I noticed that Long War showed up in the launcher's mod list twice. So I opened the mods folder where I saw a second folder. Thinking that it was a product of Steam I was a dumbass and deleted it. At which point my game started crashing. It finally dawned on me that when Long War first installs itself it creates it's own folder. So what I did was to start the game with no mods. Then to start a new campaign with just long war to allow itself to reinstall itself.

Now everything >seems< to be working correctly.

(I really need to stop shooting myself in the foot.)