Suggestion - Excess Engineers and Defense Matrix

zechstyr

Suggestion - Excess Engineers and Defense Matrix

Post by zechstyr »

This popped up in another thread, but my suggestion is this- open up some more spots for Engineers to sit in the Defense Matrix. Further upgrades give stronger turrets; at max Engineers it should be similar to those Health 14, Armor 3 monstrosities you fight later on. That should give you an excuse to seat 3-4 Engineers in a building.

It'd also be cool if the last engineer added could do something like remotely operate a turret in Haven Defenses.
Steve-O

Re: Suggestion - Excess Engineers and Defense Matrix

Post by Steve-O »

Anything that gives me more places to put engineers is welcome (primarily because it will shut Lily up.)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I just had my first UFO defense and I didn't get the impression that the turrets are super useful. They shot at the enemy about 2 times and got shot 1 time.

Do you really feel the defense turrets need a buff?
SoSmooth

Post by SoSmooth »

What if posting engineers in a Haven have increased chance for rebels to have upgraded weapons? And maybe even small chance to have armor?
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Steve-O wrote:Anything that gives me more places to put engineers is welcome (primarily because it will shut Lily up.)
This.

Soooooo this.
saroscycler

Post by saroscycler »

I suggest more Resistance Comm slots which reduce infiltration times.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

You can put them in liberated regions for more supplies. They will have a constant effect and will pay for themselves instead of being useful for just that one Avenger assault mission.
saroscycler

Post by saroscycler »

8wayz wrote:You can put them in liberated regions for more supplies. They will have a constant effect and will pay for themselves instead of being useful for just that one Avenger assault mission.
There aren't just enough regions in the first place.
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

From a post in a similar topic a few weeks ago (http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 928#p46928):
wobuffet wrote:Here are some Engineer/Scientist ideas:
  • Boost Haven Advisor bonuses: One easy choice would be to boost the Supply/Intel benefits to staffing Engineers or Scientists, respectively, as Haven Advisors. Currently the bonus is +20%... how about +33% instead? Remember, Retaliations are much rougher with an Engineer or Scientist to rescue rather than a Soldier Advisor who can lead the charge.
  • Add Laboratory slots: Staff up to 2 Engineers in the Laboratory to (1) provide material rebates to research projects, à la LW1 and (2) increase Render projects' Alloy/Elerium rewards. To reduce fiddliness, lock Engineers into these slots permanently.
  • Add Workshop slot: If you staff a Scientist in addition to Engineers in the Workshop, each unemployed Workshop Gremlin generates Supplies at a rate of 1/day.
  • Add GTS slot: Staff an Engineer in the GTS to reduce Officer training times.
  • Add AWC slots: Staff an Engineer in the AWC to (1) reduce Soldier retraining times and (2) make retraining re-randomize AWC perks. Perhaps make this a permanent slot too.
  • Add Proving Ground slots: Staff up to 2 Engineers on salvage duty in the Proving Ground. Each provides (1) a 25% chance to get a 2nd free prototype when completing a project and (2) a 25% chance of being able to salvage any alien/ADVENT corpses used (i.e., whenever you use up a corpse for a Proving Ground project, you have some chance to salvage it successfully and get it back afterwards).
  • Add Shadow Chamber slots: Staff a Scientist in the Shadow Chamber to get enemy intel (e.g., "9 enemies detected: Muton Centurion, ...") on all missions. This can be useful if you really need a particular corpse or an Avatar encounter, for example.
  • Throttle Engineer as mission rewards: Throttle the number of engineers past a certain point. Make them less and less likely to find as you get more and more of them, so they stop choking out the mission rewards. (from Antifringe)
zechstyr

Post by zechstyr »

Icarus wrote:I just had my first UFO defense and I didn't get the impression that the turrets are super useful. They shot at the enemy about 2 times and got shot 1 time.

Do you really feel the defense turrets need a buff?
Yeah. Compare your turrets with some of the Tier 3 turrets you can spot at the end of the game. 10+ HP, 3 armor is a massive damage soak. Put 4 of them down and that's some nice critical defense, especially when Advent starts coming at you with multiple Sectopods and Gatekeepers.