Can Haven rebels die in Mini-retals?

xmd1997

Can Haven rebels die in Mini-retals?

Post by xmd1997 »

Hello, I've recently finished a mini retaliation supply raid. The mission was mostly smooth with all my operatives more or less alive, but unfortunately I was unable to save any of the rebels. When the mission was over I've noticed that I only had one rebel left in that haven(think I had 5 or 6 originally) and all the rest were gone. I didn't think that haven rebels can actually die in mini retaliations(or maybe I've never noticed) thought that was only for a full on haven defense. Just want to make sure if this is intended or maybe a bug.
fowlJ

Re: Can Haven rebels die in Mini-retals?

Post by fowlJ »

I don't think there's any mission in the game where a unit can be killed without actually dying - they don't have you evac the rebels just for fun, you know? No, this is intended.
Zork

Post by Zork »

What's not cool in those missions is that you can't check a rebel level/skills before to have control rescue him. So in cases you have to prioritize rescues it's done blindly.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Rescuing rebels in retaliations is the same as rescuing civvies in the first game's terror missions: Your objective is to rescue the unarmed squishies, but your tactics should focus on killing all the aliens before they have too many (read: any) chances to fire. Try not to activate more than one pod at a time, and murder the crap out of a pod after you do activate it. If you can't get reliable kill shots, use crowd control until you can.

Tapping a rebel to gain control SHOULD be done, whenever opportunity provides, but not at the expense of killing the nearby alien(s) instead. Actually, tapping the civvie was more important in XCOM1, since doing so automatically removed them from the field of battle. In XCOM2, you have to move the rebels to the evac site - which is great for verisimilitude - but it also means your rebel might proc an overwatch shot from an alien along the way. So, sometimes staying put, even in the middle of a firefight, is the safer choice.
xmd1997

Post by xmd1997 »

I dont think were on the same page guys. Im not talking about Haven retaliations where you actually have to evacuate the rebels, im talking about the mini ones like the Intel Raid where the rebels actually fight alongside your troops and evacuating them isn't necessary. (unless its the recruit raid of course)
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

xmd1997 wrote:I dont think were on the same page guys. Im not talking about Haven retaliations where you actually have to evacuate the rebels, im talking about the mini ones like the Intel Raid where the rebels actually fight alongside your troops and evacuating them isn't necessary. (unless its the recruit raid of course)
They can, in fact, die on those missions. I've lost rebels on those, in fact just recently I lost all but two rebels on an intel raid :<
Zork

Post by Zork »

Steve-O wrote:Rescuing rebels in retaliations is the same as rescuing civvies in the first game's terror missions: Your objective is to rescue the unarmed squishies, but your tactics should focus on killing all the aliens before they have too many (read: any) chances to fire. Try not to activate more than one pod at a time, and murder the crap out of a pod after you do activate it. If you can't get reliable kill shots, use crowd control until you can.

Tapping a rebel to gain control SHOULD be done, whenever opportunity provides, but not at the expense of killing the nearby alien(s) instead. Actually, tapping the civvie was more important in XCOM1, since doing so automatically removed them from the field of battle. In XCOM2, you have to move the rebels to the evac site - which is great for verisimilitude - but it also means your rebel might proc an overwatch shot from an alien along the way. So, sometimes staying put, even in the middle of a firefight, is the safer choice.
No in XCOM2 they evac instantly, you are meaning LW2.

I had only once this mission, at least 3 the other type (wait evac and defend against waves), what I don't like is you'll need a lot of luck to save them all, so no matter what you do, some rebels of the Haven will die. At least the other type let you a chance.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

xmd1997 wrote:I dont think were on the same page guys. Im not talking about Haven retaliations where you actually have to evacuate the rebels, im talking about the mini ones like the Intel Raid where the rebels actually fight alongside your troops and evacuating them isn't necessary. (unless its the recruit raid of course)
All deaths are permanent. Doesn't matter if the rebel was fighting or was in helpless civilian mode. If they get killed, they die. This is why sometimes you want to just abandon the relay and keep your rebels alive on an Intel mini-retal - saving the relay is meaningless if there's nobody alive afterwards to use it.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Zork wrote: No in XCOM2 they evac instantly, you are meaning LW2.
My apologies. I went straight to LW2, so I don't know how vanilla XCOM2 differs.
Zork

Post by Zork »

Steve-O wrote:
Zork wrote: No in XCOM2 they evac instantly, you are meaning LW2.
My apologies. I went straight to LW2, so I don't know how vanilla XCOM2 differs.
Woo never played XCOM2, that a bit partisan or you really lack of time to play.

LW2 is great but is nowhere replacing XCOM2, too different to do it.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Zork wrote: Woo never played XCOM2, that a bit partisan or you really lack of time to play.
LW2 is great but is nowhere replacing XCOM2, too different to do it.
A little bit of both, TBH.
No disrespect intended to vanilla XCOM2, but everything I've heard about it makes me prefer LW2's methodology, hands down.

Also, I played XCOM1 for over a year non-stop and after I discovered LW1, I never went back to vanilla there, either. Seemed like a no-brainer to jump into LW2 immediately, since it was available by the time I purchased XCOM2.

I guess you could say I generally appreciate the mindset of the Pavonis team, and would be interested in subscribing to any newsletters they might produce. Also keeping an eye on Terra Invictus, for sure.
Zork

Post by Zork »

Well to each their own, so ok it's your choice to have the game and not bother check it.

In my opinion for a first play, XCOM 2 is better, the game-play is much more diversified because there's a constant rush on new features and new enemies, in comparison LW2 has a very slow progression and then repeat much more. XCOM2 has the maps diversity fitting the play of a campaign, with LW2 with no map pack at least some missions types feel repeated rather fast. All comes from density, the quantity of stuff and length of campaigns allows XCOM2 to constantly add many new elements and it changes hugely the gameplay mood. Another aspect is unlike LW2 XCOM2 counter on purpose any stealth gameplay, so after some attempts you don't bother and get a combat gameplay more fast paced.

And then there's some other keys differences, not really making the game better for a first play, but generating a different game:
- The management of soldiers is a lot lighter and it includes an UI much better adapted to gameplay design than for LW2.
- The 4X management is a lot lighter and it includes an UI much better adapted to gameplay design than for LW2.
- The campaign isn't very long, for LW2 it looks hugely long and this can be a problem for some players that feel they lack of time to play more games, for sure LW2 is fine if you enjoy dig a game during a long time.
- Most bugs could come from XCOM2 engine, I still suffer a lot more of glitches and bugs with my LW2 play than with my XCOM2 plays, I suspect it's in part because I play on Mac. Frankly it's a bit too much, but ok it's manageable. And no way XCoM2 plays felt like that.

For replay I prefer LW2, but I still consider them as different games, and if I bother try higher difficulties I'll probably switch back to XCOM2.