Maps Pack with LW2

Zork

Maps Pack with LW2

Post by Zork »

I know maps map are discouraged to avoid problems with difficulty/timer tuning not done with LW2. But now many months after LW2 release I suppose many players used them intensively so what's the feedback.

Myself I added 3 in my current campaign to try add more diversity. "World Expansion Project: Advent", "Maps by Vozaty", "More Maps Pack".

I'm quite satisfied with the mission to blow up a monument and attract Advent attention, well some setup was a tad too complex for my taste and I get half screwed up sometimes because I didn't put enough care or caution, but overall it's a huge bonus. For missions to catch the spy I had some troubles with few setup but I think it's more a problem of patience.

Otherwise I don't know, I suppose the timer bonus for Easy hides any problem. For me a problem is LW2 generates the map when a mission is created on world map, not when you'll start the mission. It means that once you have added any map pack to the campaign, you are screwed up and can't remove them without a lot of burden.

So is anybody use them regularly and what's your experience? Is there more map packs suiting well LW2?
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
ginyu549

Re: Maps Pack with LW2

Post by ginyu549 »

Yep, I use a bunch of map packs, pretty much all except the "suffer" one and a couple newer ones that seem to have some bugs. I'll probably use those as well once they seem stable.

I have only ever had 1 issue with them and it was hilarious. It was on the Psigate mission, and no matter how many times I reloaded there was always 1 parcel/plot right in the middle of the map that wouldn't load. It just left an infinite hole in the map that dropped away to nowhere.

I fought the whole mission, and I could get line of sight across the missing map, but had to walk around it to get to the objective. It actually helped a little because the aliens had to go around it too, and my snipers had a clear line of fire while they did.

Anyway, overall I like using the map packs and besides that 1 thing haven't had any issues.

haven't yet made the Psigate mission in my 1.4 play through, so not sure if that issue will reappear or not, but to me it wasn't a big deal.

Edited to add:
Map packs I use:
Doctor Mandarbs Map-Pack
Dragon's Wilderness PCPs
World Expansion Project: ADVENT
Maps by Vozati
Even More Maps!
More Maps Pack
Zork

Re: Maps Pack with LW2

Post by Zork »

Thanks, good to know, and thanks for the list.

Myself the only "holes" I have seen was before add any map pack, a soldier walk at a higher floor like a roof during path he drops down suddenly at level below, but right after continue walk at the original floor. I had it rather often but for now without any consequences like concealment removed by enemies at floor below.

And I had soldier or enemies at weird places where they shouldn't be from their last movement, but generally shoot is still possible and coherent, and movement too, not always but this bug is fixed by save and reload. This one I never had it with XCOM2 before post release DLC, but once or twice in a campaign with all DLC. It's much more often with LW2.

Never had hole in map yet, but I quoted your trick to try not bother and go around.

Right now I get two consecutive crash during a close view animation, I suspect something in a building generates it, I'll try disable cam close view and will try go through or perhaps by turning the camera. The problem could be that this building is the building where the vip to free is. I never ever had this bug, not sure at all it's linked to maps packs.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)