LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post Reply
sirburton
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by sirburton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:12 pm

War of the Chosen is out but I don't want to play it because I'd have to uninstall LongWar2 and I absolutely don't want to!
Anyone experiencing my same embarass? How are you solving this big big problem?
My Fearless Xcoms! --> Here

User avatar
8wayz
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by 8wayz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:47 pm

You do not need to uninstall Long War 2, just turn it off from the Launch Menu and start a new campaign on Legendary with the expansion installed.

Since it is not Long War, you should be able to complete it in a week or two and get a good opinion of what it adds and takes from the gameplay compared to Long War.

I am personally putting on hold my Long War 2 campaign to take a new adventure with the expansion. ;)

sirburton
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by sirburton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 pm

8wayz wrote:You do not need to uninstall Long War 2, just turn it off from the Launch Menu and start a new campaign on Legendary with the expansion installed.

Since it is not Long War, you should be able to complete it in a week or two and get a good opinion of what it adds and takes from the gameplay compared to Long War.

I am personally putting on hold my Long War 2 campaign to take a new adventure with the expansion. ;)
why did you suggest to do it on leggendary :3 ?
Yes I know I can just uncheck LW but I simply feel unable to go back to the vanilla game mechanics and so on.
And it's sad cause WaroftheChosen looks truly good!
Also I'd like to ask:
1) the content of the new expansion, is it something that happens after the ending of the classic main game events or what?
2) doest it also add, for example, new skins, new rooms buildable on the avenger ?
My Fearless Xcoms! --> Here

User avatar
8wayz
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by 8wayz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 pm

I suggested Legendary since the base game is a lot easier than Long War 2. If you are playing Long War on Veteran, you should play the base game on Commander. Same goes for Commander to Legendary.

The expansion just expands the whole campaign - there are new story missions, there is a new starting mission, the Avenger assault mission is completely reworked and from what I have seen it happens after one of the Chosen decides to finish you off, meaning that you can have up to 3 or more Avenger defense missions per campaign. Also you have a completely new lair of management with the 3 Resistance factions - you can accept missions from them and get great rewards (for example +1 damage with Sniper rifles from the Reapers).

Everything happens during your regular campaign, not afterwards.

The expansion does add a few new cosmetics, mostly from the the Resistance factions from what I have seen. The Advanced Warfare Centre is now separated into two different buildings - the Infirmary (for treating your wounded) and a new one which I haven't seen yet. Probably has to do with the new Bonding mechanic.

sirburton
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by sirburton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:22 pm

8wayz wrote:I suggested Legendary since the base game is a lot easier than Long War 2. If you are playing Long War on Veteran, you should play the base game on Commander. Same goes for Commander to Legendary.

The expansion just expands the whole campaign - there are new story missions, there is a new starting mission, the Avenger assault mission is completely reworked and from what I have seen it happens after one of the Chosen decides to finish you off, meaning that you can have up to 3 or more Avenger defense missions per campaign. Also you have a completely new lair of management with the 3 Resistance factions - you can accept missions from them and get great rewards (for example +1 damage with Sniper rifles from the Reapers).

Everything happens during your regular campaign, not afterwards.

The expansion does add a few new cosmetics, mostly from the the Resistance factions from what I have seen. The Advanced Warfare Centre is now separated into two different buildings - the Infirmary (for treating your wounded) and a new one which I haven't seen yet. Probably has to do with the new Bonding mechanic.
so the 3 new factions are just external forces? Can't the player 'create' a reaper soldier for example?
My Fearless Xcoms! --> Here

orion_winterfire
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by orion_winterfire » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:25 pm

sirburton wrote:War of the Chosen is out but I don't want to play it because I'd have to uninstall LongWar2 and I absolutely don't want to!
Anyone experiencing my same embarass? How are you solving this big big problem?
WotC: no shinobis, no technicals, no officers, no SMGs, no interest in strategy layer . . . No thanks!
I'm trying to be patient. Even if pavonis can't make a long war version of it, someone, or rather many someones, will eventually make mods to replicate the delicious aspects of lw2 in the expansion.

User avatar
8wayz
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by 8wayz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:30 pm

@ sirburton - You can hire new soldiers from all of the 3 factions, they are just more expensive and to level them up you will need a lot of the new Ability points, which you get during missions and for completing objectives both on Geoscape and Battlescape.

@orion_winterfire - To tell the truth half of the points you mentioned are just the reason while I would like a fresh breath from Long War at the moment. The SMG is only used to give you 3 mobility and almost never as a weapon itself. It would have been a lot more interesting if it gave you a special suppression mode to go with it. I can mod a new utility item that gives you the same 3 mobility without taking away your main weapon in the meantime.

The technical is just a mess, both in terms of equipment and perks. In all of the patches up to know it has been the subject of balance changes to make it viable. It is also the only soldier who can use a flamethrower which does not make much sense. I preferred it better to have to equip a heavy armor on which you can mount the flamethrower.

Steve-O
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: LongWar2 got me into serious troubles > _ <

Post by Steve-O » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:35 pm

sirburton wrote:War of the Chosen is out but I don't want to play it because I'd have to uninstall LongWar2 and I absolutely don't want to!
Anyone experiencing my same embarass? How are you solving this big big problem?
I feel your pain.

Personally, having finished my playthrough of LW (1.4) a little while back and knowing that WotC won't be LW-inclusive in the foreseeable future, I've simply decided to move on to other games for the time being.

No insult intended to Firaxis or Pavonis - I love you guys and you both do great work! - I will definitely be returning to XCOM2 in the future (and, in the fullness of time, XCOM3.) But, for now, I've got a queue of other games building up in Steam, and waiting for the hotly anticipated announcement of WotC-LW2 integration, it seems like a good time to grind that queue down for a while.

Post Reply