War of the Chosen compatibility

8wayz

War of the Chosen compatibility

Post by 8wayz »

I just got the expansion and was surprised to see that it requires 30 GB ( almost as much as the base game).

When I opened the launch menu I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are actually two .exe files - you run either the basic game or the expansion. Both have separate mod lists, so you can run continue your Long War 2 campaign with your favourite mods and run a new one on the expansion at the same time.

Have a look
Donedidit

Post by Donedidit »

Well that's a nice touch, just like EW. does this mean we can play LW2 with the performance improvements that came with WotC?
JulianSkies

Re:

Post by JulianSkies »

Donedidit wrote:Well that's a nice touch, just like EW. does this mean we can play LW2 with the performance improvements that came with WotC?
Unfortunately no. They are two different executables, actually,becase the expansion is so different from the base game. And they didn't go back and implement the performance updates/code changes in the base game since they were, y'know, intrinsic to one another, so only the expansion got the performance updates.
ASDF0716

Re: War of the Chosen compatibility

Post by ASDF0716 »

Does that mean there's potentially a way to remove vanilla X2 to NOT have a 60GB game?
redsky14

Post by redsky14 »

ASDF0716 wrote:Does that mean there's potentially a way to remove vanilla X2 to NOT have a 60GB game?
this Q i ask myself 10x per day. Anyone ? 2nd Q is that WotC has so good potential for Long War . Only problem with WotC for now is that is super easy. Thats what you get playing lots of LW. :) So maybe LW for WotC ? I hope so.
Maebalzurakin

Post by Maebalzurakin »

A lot of nice improvements for WotC, but I am already missing the squad system from LW2. It is 10000000x better than the two person mate system they put in WotC.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

For the moment I haven't found a way to remove the base game, but I do not want to as well, since I want to be able to play Long War 2 when I want to.

I guess in time they will release a patch merging both versions. For the moment this setup is great for Long War players, though it does take almost 25% of my SSD drive. :)

War of the Chosen has great potential for Long War 2 :
- SITREPs are a great way to make sub-types for missions. For example the Zombie terror mission from Long War 1 can be easily done with the Lost SITREP.
- Buying abilities for ability points is a great, great way to improve on the AWC training perks. You can also get all the abilities for your regular promotion tree on a given soldier if you want to.
- The new mission types feel tight and allow you to use different tactics.
- The new classes and their mechanics might seem overpowered at first, but if you start on Legendary, it will not be so straightforward as it seems. They require a lot of investment and for the first few months you won't be able to have more than 1 or 2 of them.
- Officers might have a synergy with the new bonding mechanic.

Not to mention that engine and game optimisation is essential for running huge mods like Long War. A Long War mission loads up to 30 seconds. A War of the Chosen mission loads in a second or two.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

8wayz wrote: - Buying abilities for ability points is a great, great way to improve on the AWC training perks. You can also get all the abilities for your regular promotion tree on a given soldier if you want to.
TSGT Assault with Hit & Run, Close Encounters and Rapid Fire. Balance that.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Easy - there are a few way to do it. For example :
- you up the cost of each ability.
- you impose a limitation 2 from 3 abilities per rank (for Long War).
- you add an incremental increase to the cost of the next ability (on the same soldier). If you have taken 5 additional perks, the next one might cost +10 on top of its base cost.
- you control how often Ability points are rewarded. Currently they depend on the Combat intelligence stat and come as mission rewards sometimes. If they are made a lot more difficult to come by, you will think hard where and how to spend them.

In the War of the Chosen it is difficult to get all the abilities on one soldier, since they cost quite a few points and there are a lot of abilities to get, especially a soldier from one of the new classes.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

redsky14 wrote:
ASDF0716 wrote:Does that mean there's potentially a way to remove vanilla X2 to NOT have a 60GB game?
this Q i ask myself 10x per day. Anyone ? 2nd Q is that WotC has so good potential for Long War . Only problem with WotC for now is that is super easy. Thats what you get playing lots of LW. :) So maybe LW for WotC ? I hope so.
I'm sure it will come in time. I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath, though.

I doubt it will be possible to remove the base game entirely and still play WotC, though, since I expect the majority of the base game's 30GB are assets which are not necessarily repeated in WotC's files. (WotC adds a lot of new stuff, so new assets, too.)

The .EXE file itself is not the entire game in a single file, so the fact that there are two separate .EXEs doesn't mean you can uninstall the WHOLE base game and still play WotC - it would try but it would probably crash when it failed to find assets for enemies and levels that came from the base game. The .EXE is just the program that boots the game into memory and gets things going - other assets like textures, sounds, videos and so on are loaded from other files after that.