More precise, = "aimed", overwatch

Phaseless

More precise, = "aimed", overwatch

Post by Phaseless »

Yesterday I saw a mod in the Workshop that lets you overwatch in a narrow, cone-like area, so your overwatch only activates in that area.

At first I liked the idea, but then I realized, if Pavonis thought this was a good idea, they would have implemented it.
I am posting this in case they actually would consider it and for discussion sake.

My guess is that this is too Close to Suppression and hence too powerful for all the Units who are not supposed to suppress without spending a skill Point for it.

But everything else about it is great. I mean, how often have you wasted an overwatch shot on a unit that was of no priority to you? You could overwatch with an assault and with the cone make sure he only fires if that enemy nearby moves. Because any other shot would be wasted because too far away.

What do you guys think about this?
Torquemada

Re: More precise, = "aimed", overwatch

Post by Torquemada »

Phaseless wrote:Yesterday I saw a mod in the Workshop that lets you overwatch in a narrow, cone-like area, so your overwatch only activates in that area.

At first I liked the idea, but then I realized, if Pavonis thought this was a good idea, they would have implemented it.
I am posting this in case they actually would consider it and for discussion sake.

My guess is that this is too Close to Suppression and hence too powerful for all the Units who are not supposed to suppress without spending a skill Point for it.

But everything else about it is great. I mean, how often have you wasted an overwatch shot on a unit that was of no priority to you? You could overwatch with an assault and with the cone make sure he only fires if that enemy nearby moves. Because any other shot would be wasted because too far away.

What do you guys think about this?
I don't want to speak for the devs but that idea that if they wanted it to be so they would have done so doesn't really stick. They had limited resources and this might have been one issue that they didn't prioritize.

Anyway, this type of OW is much less powerful since you have to know where the threat is in order for it to work. It might make a ton of logical sense but gameplay wise it's situationally weaker than current OW since it works in a 360 arc. Since OW is already a weak shot it's likely they saw little point in making it weaker.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Torquemada wrote:Since OW is already a weak shot
I never thought I'd see this. At least add the qualifier "in the earlygame". For that matter, I've never felt OW shots need yet another accuracy buff once you're in the midgame and you specifically build to support it.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

If you had the choice between angled and 360° overshot that would not be a Problem. If you want a specific target not to flank, or you know it has to move and must die, you take angled. If you are afraid of unexpected attacks you take usual overwatch.

There could be cheap gear that opens up the choice. Like a weapon upgrade that improves handling and thus allows faster reaction fire. Light-weight material or some such shenanigans :D
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

Isn't this already Killzone?
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

RookieAutopsy wrote:Isn't this already Killzone?
Killzone is more powerful and also a very exclusive skill. I haven't had that skill in a while so I'm not sure about the Details, but AFAIK you shoot at anything that moves in that area?

What I'm talking about is the choice of an area specific or regular overwatch, and you only shoot once like with a regular OW (except when you have skills that let you shoot several times)
bingo12345

Post by bingo12345 »

Suppression
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

bingo12345 wrote:Suppression
Elaboration
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

Psieye wrote:
Torquemada wrote:Since OW is already a weak shot
I never thought I'd see this. At least add the qualifier "in the earlygame". For that matter, I've never felt OW shots need yet another accuracy buff once you're in the midgame and you specifically build to support it.
There's multiple perks for OW which make it better than shooting, yes, but my point was standard OW is better when 360. If you want this to apply to modified OW only you might as well consider attaching the directional effect to some other perk.
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

I'd much rather see a feature where we cold set the minimum required aim for an Overwatch shot to be taken. That way, your guys wouldn't take 2% shots against a distant ayy but might wait for a 45% shot when the alien in front of them moves
Steelflame

Post by Steelflame »

sarge945 wrote:I'd much rather see a feature where we cold set the minimum required aim for an Overwatch shot to be taken. That way, your guys wouldn't take 2% shots against a distant ayy but might wait for a 45% shot when the alien in front of them moves
You can via the Fire control PCS's you can build in the Avenger even in the early game. The problem is it takes up your PCS slot (I really wish it was possible to make it not take it up), but you can set that to 3 major thresholds. 25, 50, and 75% chance to hit.
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

Yeah I really wonder why you Need to waste a PCS Slot for that.
Although I'm seriously considering to do that for the assault class. Because they would Profit so much from overwatches where they let Units come into 75% range before firing. Question is, how often do you put your assault on OW AND an Alien unit Comes that Close to you? Not very often in my experience so might not be worth the Slot at all.
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

Yeah I wish you could instead equip it in a second "Fire Control Only" PCS Slot. Maybe through an upgrade
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Is it useful ?
Right now I can't remember any situation where I wanted that mod (just remember nothing else). It is in my Good mods collection. I might install it but I can say that Stealth overhaul have similar concept - Overwatch specific target. I actually use that a lot
The Preacher