Boosted infiltration from Moderate to Heavy

Ranger34

Boosted infiltration from Moderate to Heavy

Post by Ranger34 »

Hello!
I'm new to this forum, but playing LW1 & LW2 for some time. Have a problem with my current campaign, as I don't know how to continue. I play self-imposed ironman, so I reload only after bugs that affect course of game. I boosted 80% infiltrated Smash & Grab mission, with Moderate current activity, and this resulted in ..Heavy activity! I don't think I can do this mission with Heavy enemy activity. With moderate it was not easy, but doable. So my question is, can this happen normally? I understand that Advent can reinforce any region any time, but this goes for regions, not actual missions, right? Advent have strength 7 there, Commander campaign.
Just in case, I have the savegame with must-launch mission in geoscape (before boosting). I did some experiments, and roughly in 4/5 cases boosting results in Light activity, but in 1/5 cases it is Heavy.
Thanks in advance!
burns

Re: Boosted infiltration from Moderate to Heavy

Post by burns »

Can't help out with a reason but I had the same thing happening not so long ago. I infiltrated a mission with the intent to boost and when I did the difficulty got higher instead of lower just as you described. I reloaded and everything went the way it was supposed to. First I thought a UFO reinforcement might have happened just around the time the infiltration ended but with what you say about a few reloads it just seems to be a bug.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

It may be a mission schedule (which determines how many enemies there are) has a bad entry, although I don't see any issue in a quick scan. (The file is XComMissions.ini). If you are feeling adventurous you could check in your launch.log and see if it lists the schedule for that mission. Otherwise would need a list of pods that show up on the "heavy" mission to be able to track it down.

I should inquire whether you are using the Workshop version, or the latest (1.5 hotfixed) from the Nexus. These kind of issues were more frequent in older versions.
Ranger34

Post by Ranger34 »

I reproduced that Moderate -> Heavy boost, and launched that mission. Created another savegame at mission start, so in worst case I'll be able to tell which pods are there. Also checking Launch.log, but it's 8.5mb so it's not easy to find something there without hint what to look for :)
I'm using Steam version, must be the latest.
Ranger34

Post by Ranger34 »

I did not found schedule in the Launch.log, but here is what console command "degugspawningtoggle" shows in the beginning of that Heavy mission:
1) OPNx3_Standard_LW (AdvScout, Sectoid, Sectoid)
2) ADVx2_Standard_LW (AdvCaptainM2, AdvStunLancerM2)
3) OPNx5_Standard_LW (AdvRocketeerM2, Viper, Viper, AdvGunnerM2, AdvShieldBearerM2)
4) OPNx5_Standard_LW (AdvScout, AdvGrenadierM1, AdvRocketeerM2, LWDroneM1, AdvTrooperM2)
5) OPNx5_Standard_LW (Muton, LWDroneM2, AdvMECArcherM1, AdvMECArcherM1, AdvStunLancerM2)
6) OPNx5_Standard_LW (Muton, SidewinderM1, SidewinderM1, AdvStunLancerM1, AdvRocketeerM1)
Hope it will help to track down the issue!
faket15

Post by faket15 »

The broken schedule is called Guerilla_Revealed_D6_3_LW. To prevent this you need to open XComMissions.ini, search for the schedule and rename PrePlacedEncounters[6] and PrePlacedEncounters[7] to PrePlacedEncounters[4] and PrePlacedEncounters[5].
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Thanks for that.

So possibility 1 is that you need to refresh your ini files:
- In windows Explorer, go to C:\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config ... (it may be in D:\ if you have one). Hit Control-A to select all files in the directory. Hit Delete to delete them all. (The game will refresh them when it starts)

But I think more likely the problem is in XComMissions.ini, in the section started at line 4410, which is the schedule "Guerilla_Revealed_D6_3_LW"

On line 4421, I skipped some array indices in building that schedule. I can't say for certain what effect that has, but what you posted suggests that it's adding two more "OPNx5_Standard_LW" encounters in the missing [4] and [5] slots. The fix would be to change

Code: Select all

PrePlacedEncounters[6]= ...
PrePlacedEncounters[7]= ... 
to

Code: Select all

PrePlacedEncounters[4]= ... 
PrePlacedEncounters[5]= ...
Ranger34

Post by Ranger34 »

The strange thing is, that i'm unable to find "Guerilla_Revealed_D6_3_LW" at all in XComMissions.ini. In fact just the word "Revealed" seems not to be present there. I deleted all files in \Config folder, game refreshed them, and it's still the same.
Ranger34

Post by Ranger34 »

The campaign is going well, I reloaded and completed that mission with Light enemy activity, thanks to everyone who responded! I'm just a bit puzzled about last advice, to correct XComMissions.ini. I must be looking into wrong file, but I double-checked and cannot find another one with that name. My XComMissions.ini do not have "Guerilla_Revealed_D6_3_LW" text, also there are no "OPNx5_Standard_LW", for example. Did I got the wrong version somehow? It's size 299,404 bytes. Long War 2 v1.5, mods only Gotcha Again and Perfect Information For LW2.
I'd like to fix that schedule problem, if that's easily fixable, to avoid reloading in future and losing some in-game time; But I'm missing something simple - please point to my mistake!
Thanks again!
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

That sounds like you are looking at the vanilla version of XComMissions.ini, not the modded version (which overwrites it when the mod loads).
Ranger34

Post by Ranger34 »

Finally found that file, it was located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\<some numbers>\<some numbers>\Config. I can confirm that changing array indices fixes the problem, 20 reloads and no Heavy missions!