Question about legions on the Geoscape

Kamikaze Samurai

Question about legions on the Geoscape

Post by Kamikaze Samurai »

Hi everybody.

I am playing on veteran with the goal of liberating the planet and am trying to understand all of the ways that legions are added or destroyed.

For one thing, what is the difference between the supply and transport missions? I won a supply mission but the global number of legions was not reduced. Maybe because the province the mission took place in was only at level 1 AS?

Something else hapened that seemed impossible according to what I read on UFOPaedia.

I liberated my first province that had an AS of 5, and as expected the global number of legions dropped from 38 to 33, but a week or so later it was back up to 39.

If the emergency reinforcement UFO and super emergency UFO each brought 2 legions then that would have raised it to 37, so what am I missing?
Psieye

Re: Question about legions on the Geoscape

Post by Psieye »

Super Emergency brings 4 legions, not 2.

Also, be prepared to very quickly lose most of your regions as soon as you liberate the last one.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Snipethis

Post by Snipethis »

I dont really understand the correlation between legions and strength. I have contacted most of the planet, liberated 4 (almost 5) regions. I plan on stopping after this one. No other region is at 7 or above (I dont want to get an invasion at 8). As soon as it gets to 6 I turn all my rebels to hiding. The global threat level is Severe and I think there are about 55 legions. I got one retaliation but no UFOs. So what is this whole legion / threat level stuff about and should I care?

Also as an aside - the whole XCOM is an underfunded guerrilla style fighting organisation loses its appeal when I have liberated a significant % of the population. To keep the narrative I think it should have been MUCH more difficult to liberate any regions and certainly not two. Advent should clamp down hard on such overt dissension.
Kamikaze Samurai

One of the best things about this mod is that there are so many different ways to play it.

I grew up playing Avalon Hill war games with cardboard pieces and hex map boards.

The main attraction of LW2 over vanilla for me is the fact that I can play it as a global war game, so my goal is planetary liberation.

Yes, XCOM is a guerilla movement, and the ultimate goal of every guerilla movement is to become the government.
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

Psieye wrote:Super Emergency brings 4 legions, not 2.

Also, be prepared to very quickly lose most of your regions as soon as you liberate the last one.
What happened after you libterate all regions? Was thinking of holding the waterworld until liberate all regions.
Kamikaze Samurai

If you take over the whole planet the aliens will invade from space.
If I can actually accomplish this i will declare victory on my goal and try to win the game.

Something strange just occured in a new game I started on Veteran that is relevant to this thread.

I completed Liberation I in my starting region on March 8 and the global number of legions increased immediately from 25 to 26.
Can anyone explain to me how this happened?