Why Expand to New Regions Early?

Blathergut

Why Expand to New Regions Early?

Post by Blathergut »

Why should I expand to new regions early? To gain access to more possible missions so I can choose the key ones (like ones that provide scientists or engineers)?

Is there any consequence of NOT doing the missions other than the ones that show a Dark Event about to happen?

Is each region generating a series of missions even though I can't contact those regions yet? Or do missions only generate in regions I have contacted?
Blathergut

Re: Why Expand to New Regions Early?

Post by Blathergut »

I read through this:

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... hp?t=25808

Answered most questions.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Missions don't spawn until you contact the region. The long-term consequence of ignoring missions is falling behind: Advent keeps advancing in Force. Stronger enemies will show up over time. If you fall behind on tech (scientists, resources) then the missions become miserable until you catch up.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Well there's only so many missions you can deploy at the same time, depends on your barracks, but having several contacted regions gives you choice, which is important since there're priority missions depending on the stage of the game. Besides that, contacting regions let you "develop" them. As in, grow the size of your haven, purge the faceless and manage its vigilance (thus strenght). Haven't you wondered why your newly contacted region in September has 8 strenght? That's because uncontacted regions don't decrease their vigilance and completing some missions raises vigilance in adjacent regions (ADVENT AI will try to equalize strenght with vigilance).
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Rookie, Veteran , Commander difficulty.
You can expand and should expand quickly . Otherwise Vigilance will raise and you not have any mission until vigilance recover. You can only have 8 GOP mission on Commander per region per month (Who cares - vigilance is more important). How early - earlier is better but it is up to you to decide that. Revert to earlier save if you think that you are to late

Legendary - 6 GOP missions per month
. (just checked logs) . More mission = expand / how many active soldiers you have to do them.
There is enough intel just for one extra region but game will force you to expand. To much strength in region will force you to expand - hard missions.
Don't forget to count missions in one region because you can only do 6 per month. Two regions is my advice but if you are low on barrack you may need intel to boost missions.
It is up to you.

Don't forget to save the game and revert to earlier save if something go wrong.
Check http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Missions_(LW2)
If you had 6 Guerrila Ops you will not have more but other missions can spawn.

You will not run out of missions in any case.
The Preacher
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Dwarfling wrote:Haven't you wondered why your newly contacted region in September has 8 strenght? That's because uncontacted regions don't decrease their vigilance and completing some missions raises vigilance in adjacent regions (ADVENT AI will try to equalize strenght with vigilance).
There's more to it than that: vigilance is just one factor going into the equation for "Desired Strength". Golden Path sites (plus neighbours) and liberated neighbours are among things which raise "Desired Strength" beyond vigilance. I'm pretty sure Dwarfling is correct on Vigilance decay not taking place in uncontacted regions. Vigilance variation during Repression cycles (I'm guessing from ini parameter names) can (with good dice rolls) tweak the situation (not limited to vigilance) of uncontacted regions.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

If vig do not decay on non contacted regions then Troop Transfer is in question . They will go to max vig. and lock more and more Strength.
Super Add Troop Strength is controlled by Global Vigilance
Creates two Alert (Strength) points in its region and one in each of two adjacent regions. Requires 20+ excess global vigilance. Can target a region that is already receiving a regular Add Troop Strength mission.
So in one move you can get +4 Str and they will move if not locked if you add Add Troop Strength this is +3 for just one region.
Spike vigilance more and you will get another +4 all over the place after cooldown .

From Wiki
Regional Vigilance decays automatically by 1 point every 7 days, so if a region is empty of any XCOM activity it will eventually return on a less alarmed status.

Low Global vigilance play is fast Avatar project.
Build Research Facility - Requires Alert (Strenght?) >= Vigilance.
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Advent%27s_Agenda_(LW2)

Threat is Global Vigilance
*********************Severe (20 to 30)
At Severe and above, the aliens gain access to a "Super Reinforcements" activity which creates twice as many Alert points.
TODO: Does this replace the normal reinforcement activity or does it allow two reinforcements at once?

We forgot this mission Add Force Level - One in the world, 16 day cooldown. Always in the safest alien region (uncontacted, if possible).
You should have more than one uncontacted high strength region on late map with all
Add Troop Strength - Creates one Alert point in its region and one in a random adjacent region.
And
Super Add Troop Strength - just check your Threat level
The Preacher