Ironman Commander+

blitzkrieg_bop

Ironman Commander+

Post by blitzkrieg_bop »

Hi there,
I play ironman. I did manage to beat the game in Legend early 2017.
Now with the last patches / updates - as of Feb 2018 - is there anyone able to play Ironman in Commander difficulty, let alone Legend?
Cheers
Dwarfling

Re: Ironman Commander+

Post by Dwarfling »

Ironman still requires a tolerance for some rage-inducing bugs. Biggest difference with early 2017 is that full stealth 2-man missions are a gamble at best. But yeah it can be done in any difficulty, you just need a tough skin.
blitzkrieg_bop

Post by blitzkrieg_bop »

What kind of "rage-inducing bugs"..?

I do play a Veteran Ironman campaign right now. Its easy for the most part, if you are careful, conservative and proactive. Of course there are some cases when disaster may find you regardless, and you have to accept the loses. But its easy overall. I need something more challenging.

I tried trice on Commander/Ironman but its a really big deal harder than Veteran. In all cases I quit after having lost about 50% of my total strength, all after disastrous mishaps - most unavoidable.

Regarding Extract Vips from Cities, yes, you now have to go with a full squad, impossible otherwise (well, not impossible, you can always abandon the VIP when the %&^$ hits the fan and save your Shinobi, which will be for about 75% of the times).
Neutralize Target in Vehicle can still be easily done with a Shinobi/Sniper pair though.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

blitzkrieg_bop wrote:What kind of "rage-inducing bugs"..?
Cover that doesn't work and reveal tiles that won't show properly (even if you see the whole pod). Also the missions boosted by a Liberation seem to bug out and load improperly.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

Not sure if you're referring to bugs affecting a hard ironman game, or just the difficulty in the final iteration.

I think most people play honestman, i.e. ironman in principle but reloading for bugs. There are still bugs, as there were in the base game. Savegames can even corrupt sometimes. IMO using the actual ironman setting is a bad idea, unless you back up your save, but then you may as well not use the setting. I keep a savegame and have autosave on. I just really try not to use it except for bugs.

In terms of the (deliberate) difficulty of the final version, it's in quite a good place. I find Commander a good challenge but eminently beatable. I am now trying Legend, which is so far beating me but I'll get there. I think the consensus is that the very top players would like Legend to be a little harder and people generally think LW2 Legend is a fair bit easier than LW1 Impossible for example. But that's the very top guys with over 1,500+ hours on the game.

It does play very differently to the early versions of LW2. There aren't many/any stealth missions now. Meta was deliberately pulled back to be combat focused. Some strats are better than others but nothing is clearly overpowered and there is no one way to win.
Swiftless

Post by Swiftless »

Dwarfling wrote:
blitzkrieg_bop wrote:What kind of "rage-inducing bugs"..?
Cover that doesn't work and reveal tiles that won't show properly (even if you see the whole pod). Also the missions boosted by a Liberation seem to bug out and load improperly.
Add to that not being able to move from a roof tile after it took damage.