Evac during recruit raid

llll BlackFlag

Evac during recruit raid

Post by llll BlackFlag »

Did a very light recruitment raid last night - commander difficulty. Full squad just came off a troop column so there were a couple injuries to my A squad. Nevertheless, my guys used lots of consumables to deal with the 8 enemies I pulled on the first turn. Pushed all the way up to the evac and got in another fight with 6 enemies + second wave of reinforcements. I should have been able to dash to the evac and escape with a flawless victory - however, only the haven recruiters could evac! None of my soldiers could leave at the same time, and had to wait 4 more turns for firebrand to evac the rest of the troops, causing me to lose a technical and take wounds on 3 others. Why couldn't they all evac at once? In every other mission type (i.e. jailbreaks) civilians and soldiers can evac at the same time.
Redshirt4life

Re: Evac during recruit raid

Post by Redshirt4life »

Central says in the briefing something like "Get the civilians to safety first. Firebrand will have to circle around to get your troops." I think one of the invasions plays out like this too but I'm not sure.

Unless you're playing ironman, just reload now that you know what central means by that. No harm done and it won't fool you twice.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Pavonis felt they had to make the Retals harder so... That's just how it is. But now that you know, you can prepare better.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

Those are hard. You often find all the pods are in a tight ring around your start. And the RNFs come fast. All of which means you end up in a giant fight in a short and brutal mission. Injuries are pretty much inevitable. I lost a campaign to one once. I only recruit in regions with strength under 4. Even then I'm nervous at strength 3 in case it increases.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

The low strenght Recruit Retals (V.Light) are still quite easy if you know the dynamics of the mission. The composition must be able to handle the yellow alert pods and scenarios where you activate multiple pods. My go to comp is: Shinobi, Snapshooter, Grenadiers and overwatchers, bringing all your available EXO. SPARKs are generally good in all retals including this one.

So keeping that in mind I like to instigate the Recruit Retal myself. I can do this because I like to keep 1 or 2 rebels recruiting on my regions at all times. It gives you a trickle of recruit, but it also fills the Recruit Retal bucket, making the retal happen quickly after you flip more rebels to recruit, on the region of my choice. Then after it happens you're free for at least two weeks to recruit in any region with as many rebels as you want.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

It was a recruit mini-retal that taught me the importance of having Coilgun by the time M3 dudes show up. After spending a week of save scumming against a single recruit mini-retal, I ended my first LW2 campaign (that got off the ground). It's a DPS check - not as hardcore as Invasion but it really punishes having insufficient damage output.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd