Suppression Question

llll BlackFlag

Suppression Question

Post by llll BlackFlag »

Does suppression work the same for advent and xcom? I did some searching but the only mechanics I could find were from 1.1 and I'm not sure if they have changed. If someone runs a suppression, does the aim malus disappear? Or does the suppressor have to take damage / status effect to remove the aim penalty?

Also with ammo: if the gunner has 4 ammo and uses 3 for area suppression will he take 1 shot and then stop suppressing? Will the others in the area still have the aim penalty if one person runs it and the gunner is out of ammo?
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Suppression Question

Post by gimrah »

The aim malus goes if you actually break suppression by getting shot at (though not necessarily hit). It is possible to move out LoS such that the reaction shot doesn't go off but then you are still suppressed.

Shadowstep triggers a reaction shot that can't hit but will break the suppression.

Area suppression requires 3 ammo to activate but additional ammo to take shots. If you run out of ammo the suppression ends.
llll BlackFlag

Post by llll BlackFlag »

So for example: if you have 3 ammo left on a gunner an area suppression would be almost useless because someone could run the suppression without a shot being taken, and remove the aim malus from everyone? And the same would be true for single target suppression with 2 ammo remaining?
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

If your gunner is hit - suppression ends (forget about ammo).
Dodge and defense will reduce chances for your gunner to take hit.
Area suppression with low ammo is better than nothing. Drop flashbang on that and some smoke. Area suppression is never useless.
Single suppression is for hard target if you must. Advent officer for example have high aim and can mark - if you allow him to do that someone has to die. If you can area suppress him and his goon then area suppress.
You should not allow Advent to move or shoot . If you can reduce their aim (flahbang , smoke , area suppression , suppression) they will try to do other things. Hunker down something in high cover closer to enemy few times - just to learn how to use hunker down for your advantage.

Shooting vs Advent in high cover never pays off. Suppression is just one way to deal with it.

Just play the game - you will get all your answers quickly
The Preacher
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Single suppression is different to area suppression. Single suppression is usable with 2 ammo remaining and will do its thing: a reaction shot if the target moves. Area suppression... I've never tried with just 3 ammo left - it's always been "minimum 5 ammo to be meaningful" for me unless I just want to switch off a lot of densely-clustered OW.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
llll BlackFlag

Post by llll BlackFlag »

I haven't tested it just because I've been doing ironman and don't want to risk it. But I guess I'll save scum a bit to find the results. I just want to find out if you can take a reaction shot with 3 ammo area suppression - and if yes/no do the other enemies in the area suppression instantly lose the aim malus.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Click question mark on perk. Yellow thing in corner.

It is explained in game.
Cost is 3 ammo plus one additional ammo for each reaction shot. Aim malus stay if gunner is not hit for that turn
Equip better clips for more.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Gunner_(LW2)
Same as in game just point cursor over question mark
The Preacher
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

I have come to really love combat awareness PCS on gunners. Advent are forced to shoot at someone else or take really bad shots to try and remove the suppression.