My star solider this campaign

Unfawkable

My star solider this campaign

Post by Unfawkable »

This is what the AWC gave my all-right overwatch gunner:
1.jpg

I thought about giving him superior perception to boot, but he rarely if ever misses the way it is. Even gave him a laser sight instead of scope. An insane murder machine is what he is.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Re: My star solider this campaign

Post by gimrah »

Yup that doesn't get much better. Did you play with the perks revealed or did you take the grenade perk just to see what the 3rd tier one was?

My rangers and gunners often end up with the most as a lot of perks work on them. Although I only like grenade perks on technicals, since they get early biggest booms.

I currently have a grenadier with run and gun. He's SSGT all left side and I was planning to go left side all the way. But now I'm thinking salvo and full kit might be the way to go. He has decent aim and shredder too so could remove cover and then shoot the exposed target with a rifle.
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

gimrah wrote:Yup that doesn't get much better. Did you play with the perks revealed or did you take the grenade perk just to see what the 3rd tier one was?

My rangers and gunners often end up with the most as a lot of perks work on them. Although I only like grenade perks on technicals, since they get early biggest booms.

I currently have a grenadier with run and gun. He's SSGT all left side and I was planning to go left side all the way. But now I'm thinking salvo and full kit might be the way to go. He has decent aim and shredder too so could remove cover and then shoot the exposed target with a rifle.

They weren't revealed, however I first completed the right branch entirely, and later was like, this guy just has to have some badass damage perks as well. So I risked it and 0 regrets.

I dislike the grenade perks most of the times as well, however I find myself always regretting not taking salvo. Having 2 actions is just so much better in most situations. Especially if you took shredder to better shoot after a bomb. And I'm guessing with run and gun you can do all kind of shenanigans, bomb, run and gun, shoot a flanked target and similar. I don't really like combat engineer perk, I find that technicals remove 90% of cover that I want to anyway.
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

By the way, how do you make the AWC skills reveal? I'm going to try higher difficulty and I want the knowledge of AWC as an offset.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Unfawkable wrote:By the way, how do you make the AWC skills reveal? I'm going to try higher difficulty and I want the knowledge of AWC as an offset.
Ini edit: XCOMLW_AWCPack.ini - ALWAYSSHOW = true

It makes soldiers feel special way earlier. You will feel pain when the sniper who could have gotten Rapid Reaction dies. I've had a rifle assault who runs around taking 4~5 shots per turn every turn if I bring 2 GSGT specs.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

Psieye wrote:
Unfawkable wrote:By the way, how do you make the AWC skills reveal? I'm going to try higher difficulty and I want the knowledge of AWC as an offset.
Ini edit: XCOMLW_AWCPack.ini - ALWAYSSHOW = true

It makes soldiers feel special way earlier. You will feel pain when the sniper who could have gotten Rapid Reaction dies. I've had a rifle assault who runs around taking 4~5 shots per turn every turn if I bring 2 GSGT specs.
And you can actually plan their development ahead, I like it. Will definitely use it next campaign.

Can the same be done with regular solider skills? I really hate googling the wiki every time I forget what the next perks are.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Unfawkable wrote: Can the same be done with regular solider skills?
That's a toggle in the in-game options menus.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Swiftless

Post by Swiftless »

I kind of broke the AWC with the mod that lets you respec AWC perks and then .ini edited the mod to reduce time and cost for doing so. It adds a new dimension to character customization (sub class of class variations) and I find it fun. As a trade-off I don't go with psi's at all so the AWC changes compensate for that loss since I'm not a big fan of the psi gameplay.

For example I just made a gunner with rapid reaction and ever-vigilant, very similar to yours. Just sent him on his first mission since coming out of the AWC, so I'm excited to see how it goes.
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

Psieye wrote:
Unfawkable wrote: Can the same be done with regular solider skills?
That's a toggle in the in-game options menus.
I have played XCOM 2 since the very release date, and only now do I find out about this. Thanks.
Swiftless wrote:I kind of broke the AWC with the mod that lets you respec AWC perks and then .ini edited the mod to reduce time and cost for doing so. It adds a new dimension to character customization (sub class of class variations) and I find it fun. As a trade-off I don't go with psi's at all so the AWC changes compensate for that loss since I'm not a big fan of the psi gameplay.

For example I just made a gunner with rapid reaction and ever-vigilant, very similar to yours. Just sent him on his first mission since coming out of the AWC, so I'm excited to see how it goes.
Rapid reactions can potentially make him even better, you can even skip Kill Zone cause it just does the job so well.