Defence Stat

Share strategy and tips here.
Hunter

Defence Stat

Post by Hunter »

I see in my soldiers (not created equal) a shield icon with a range of numbers from -10 to +10 or thereabouts.

I ASSUME this is a bonus (or malus) to their DEFENCE stat when fired at?

How do I see this in-game?

What do people do with rookies with -10 or more DEFENCE?
GavinRuneblade

Re: Defence Stat

Post by GavinRuneblade »

I use them exactly as I do any other soldier. Bad stats is a self-correcting problem: eventually they die or you win. Either way problem solved.

I don't even look at my troops stats very often. Only when adding gear, in which case my goal is to increase strengths not fill gaps (usually).
ShockmasterFred

Post by ShockmasterFred »

GavinRuneblade wrote:I use them exactly as I do any other soldier. Bad stats is a self-correcting problem: eventually they die or you win. Either way problem solved.

I don't even look at my troops stats very often. Only when adding gear, in which case my goal is to increase strengths not fill gaps (usually).
Nothing produces Utilitarian ethcis like XCOM. ;0)
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

A Russian roommate of mine used to love the original xcom. For those who don't know in the original, will was a hidden stat. Only psi lab testing made it visible. But the aliens know your will and only attacked low will troops with psionic powers.

So my roomie would make commissars. They only went into battle with pistols and NEVER shot aliens. Their job was to solve panic and mind control by killing the affected soldiers. He would say "sir, meet Darwin" as he shot them.

He also lined up all his mind controlled aliens and troops who panicked or got controlled by aliens at the end of the mission and had them crouch. Then the commissar walked down the line and shot them all execution style in the back while the rest of the squad watched.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

GavinRuneblade wrote:A Russian roommate of mine used to love the original xcom. For those who don't know in the original, will was a hidden stat. Only psi lab testing made it visible. But the aliens know your will and only attacked low will troops with psionic powers.

So my roomie would make commissars. They only went into battle with pistols and NEVER shot aliens. Their job was to solve panic and mind control by killing the affected soldiers. He would say "sir, meet Darwin" as he shot them.

He also lined up all his mind controlled aliens and troops who panicked or got controlled by aliens at the end of the mission and had them crouch. Then the commissar walked down the line and shot them all execution style in the back while the rest of the squad watched.
We Order 227 now?
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

He would probably LOVE the free Officer perk "Commisar" in XCOM 2 then. :)
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

What do I do with -10 defense rookies?

Rejoice, because they spent their character creation points on offense.

-10 defense means nothing if nothing lives to fire at you.
Darvon

Post by Darvon »

GavinRuneblade wrote:my (Russian) roomie would make commissars. They only went into battle with pistols and NEVER shot aliens. Their job was to solve panic and mind control by killing the affected soldiers.
This story made me so happy
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

Darvon wrote:
GavinRuneblade wrote:my (Russian) roomie would make commissars. They only went into battle with pistols and NEVER shot aliens. Their job was to solve panic and mind control by killing the affected soldiers.
This story made me so happy
Don't turn around
Oh uh oh
Der commissar's in town