Managing Advent strength in a region?

Share strategy and tips here.
Dalanfox

Managing Advent strength in a region?

Post by Dalanfox »

So I am in July (I think) of my campaign and the region I started in is up to ADVENT strength 10, which makes missions there extremely difficult. I didn't realize there was a sort of 'mission chain' to liberate a region so I probably skipped an important one. Is that region lost? Should I try to focus my Intel efforts on regions with less Advent presence?
Arcalane

Re: Managing Advent strength in a region?

Post by Arcalane »

...10?! In July?!

Well, it's not completely lost, but I would assign all of the personnel there either to Intel or Hiding. You want to be looking for troop movements that might allow you to bring the strength down and to intercept incoming supply trains.

Aside from that, focus elsewhere for the time being. At least that (probably) means their strength elsewhere is much weaker.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

From my experiences, it is better to spread out your resistance havens instead of trying to liberate them one at a time. If you do a bunch of missions in a region, it pisses off ADVENT a lot (especially if you do sabotage monument and such). In addition, higher strength allows for terror missions and I can't imagine those are pleasant.
Liberation missions don't go away unless you attempt and fail them from my knowledge (please correct me if I am wrong!) so you may want to move to another region and let the heat die down.
Think of it like this, XCOM is a small group of effective soldiers while ADVENT is a global army. If the army comes, run away before they overrun you through sheer force.
admo

Post by admo »

Missions which list the reward "Get Advent's Attention" which is capturing enemy VIPs and destroying monuments will cause Advent to transfer strength to the region it occurred in, this can "drain" the strength from the are you are having issue in.

It would be interesting to know from the people in the know if stopping a supply raid mission (which is trying to transfer Advent strength in) destroys the strength or just cancel's the transfer? Do you ever want to let supply raids succeed?
trihero

Post by trihero »

admo wrote:Missions which list the reward "Get Advent's Attention" which is capturing enemy VIPs and destroying monuments will cause Advent to transfer strength to the region it occurred in, this can "drain" the strength from the are you are having issue in.

It would be interesting to know from the people in the know if stopping a supply raid mission (which is trying to transfer Advent strength in) destroys the strength or just cancel's the transfer? Do you ever want to let supply raids succeed?
It would indeed be interesting to know, I think it destroys the strength. But practically speaking, advent's strength (measured I think by the "Legions" number you see when you click the global haven management) is always going up overall so there's no way to reduce their strength to zero (unless maybe you liberate everything? but again I said practically speaking; like so far I've liberated 5 regions and total legion strength is 40 and climbing).

You don't want them to succeed because of the opportunity cost of all those corpses and monies in the mission, but raids are hard to detect and usually have a very low timer like 1 or less days which is suicide to get into.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Completing a supply raid or troop column will destroy 1 global legion, yes. Liberating a region also destroys quite a few legions.