Gunners Builds

Share strategy and tips here.
trihero

Re: Gunners Builds

Post by trihero »

Kizaray wrote:For me i run my game with "not created equally" and "hudden potential" maxed out. The stats i get determine my skill path. If i get a gunner with boss aim skills you bet your ass im giving him shredder with as many double/tripple shots i can. [These are invaluable vs sectopods and other armored jerks]
How do you like hidden potential? I'm just scared of trying it, I don't want bad things to happen to hp/aim T_T
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

trihero wrote:
Kizaray wrote:For me i run my game with "not created equally" and "hudden potential" maxed out. The stats i get determine my skill path. If i get a gunner with boss aim skills you bet your ass im giving him shredder with as many double/tripple shots i can. [These are invaluable vs sectopods and other armored jerks]
How do you like hidden potential? I'm just scared of trying it, I don't want bad things to happen to hp/aim T_T
I'm curious about this too. Default on Hidden Potential Randomness is 35% and it can go from 0% to 100%. What does this setting do?
Kizaray

Post by Kizaray »

trihero wrote:
It ends up balancing out, you get some crap soldiers and som gods. Since you end up with such a HUGE pool your end game "Alpha" squad is amazing. I recommend 100% hidden potential.
Kizaray

Post by Kizaray »

Jacke wrote:
trihero wrote:
I'm curious about this too. Default on Hidden Potential Randomness is 35% and it can go from 0% to 100%. What does this setting do?
Not 100% sure but i read it as you can gain nothing or much more than you should. Just finished my first runthrough and my best sniper had 110 aim... to be fair she did have negative like 10 defence. I think it makes the game more fun. But i like the randomness.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

From a post about Rifle Suppression in LW2 that wandered into Gunner territory.

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 16&t=24635
trihero wrote:I remember you were asking about Iron Curtain on Gunner; try not to unless you get a good AWC perk. Demolition is actually pretty good; in LW2 it's 100% to hit and it seems to kill cover without requiring high tech weaponry as opposed to vanilla where it missed a lot and had to be plasma before you could down high cover. I actually got a really nice combination lately which was shadow strike + bring'em on for a gunner, then I learned iron curtain and it's been amazing, I kill 6/8 enemies on an iron curtain ambush with 10'ish damage crits, with mag cannon which is pretty darn good considering iron curtain normally does half of your weapon damage. And whatever survives barely moves due to red fog + iron curtain debuff.
I'll then have 2 builds for Gunners, trying to go with AWC perks to decide who gets to be the Shredder builds.

Gunner Hail
Grazing Fire - Hail of Bullets - Demolition - Chain Shot - Cool Under Pressure - Saturation Fire - Rupture

Gunner Shredder
Grazing Fire - Shredder - Iron Curtain - Chain Shot - Cool Under Pressure - Traverse Fire - Rupture

As I think all the special shots under the Shredder build are all single action point, Traverse Fire will work well there.
Last edited by Jacke on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trihero

Post by trihero »

I like it, I also take traverse fire on my shredder gunners.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Jacke wrote:I'll then have 2 builds for Gunners, trying to go with AWC perks to decide who gets to be the Shredder builds.

Gunner Hail
Grazing Fire - Hail of Bullets - Demolition - Chain Shot - Cool Under Pressure - Saturation Fire - Rupture

Gunner Shredder
Grazing Fire - Shredder - Iron Curtain - Chain Shot - Cool Under Pressure - Traverse Fire - Rupture

As I think all the special shots under the Shredder build are all single action point, Traverse Fire will work well there.
I have a new Sq Guuner who has in his AWC skills Shadowstrike, Bring 'Em On, and Lone Wolf. Wondering which build to make him. Lone Wolf will help both. Bring 'Em On maybe a bit in favour of Shredder. But Shadowstrike I think should go with the Hail build to buff Saturation Fire.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Shadowstrike heavily puts gunner in favor of iron curtain/sat fire, it's pretty obvious. You might even consider going center mass to take advantage of the ambush and hail of bullets accuracy.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I don't think I'd ever take a Gunner without Hail of Bullets, no matter how much aim you get. There will always be stuff that needs to be killed ASAP, and it usually sits behind full cover and has +defense or +dodge. I get shred from other sources. Also Chain Shot is great for the big stuff in the open and Cyclic Fire lets you nuke a Relay.
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Saph7 »

I've found Cyclic Fire pretty useful for dealing with those 'you have too much HP' enemies like Heavy MECs, Archons, Berserkers, Sectopods, etc. Use Focus Fire/Holotarget first, and by the time the smoke clears the thing's either dead or so shredded/damaged that it's easy to finish off.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Cyclic is good, I just don't prefer it because it requires both actions it's a bit cumbersome to me, and I tend to prefer overwatch trap mechanics so I like cool under pressure. But yes, if you meet the condition (and like you said with holotarget) it just completely reks. I can usually get by just fine with chain shot + traverse fire (I'm trying not to use sat fire because it's absurdly overpowered and I heard it's getting nerfed next version).
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

I rolled Cutthroat on a lower Aim, higher HP Gunner so I decided to dink around with a knife build.
  • Combatives
    Hail of Balance
    Iron Curtain
    Formidable
    Danger Zone
    Saturation Fire
    Combat Fitness
All his ranged abilities are guaranteed to hit, useful when you're sitting at 83 Aim at MSGT (with Combat Fitness). Makes decent Berserker and Archon bait with his beefy health pool (the Counterattack has run the clutch a few times) and since he plays no part in my A team, I don't care if I'm sending him home with bumps and bruises after every operation he participates in.

I foresee this particular Gunner being relegated to Faceless Hunting Duty in a month or two. Even on the B Team's more lenient operations, he does struggle to pull weight on Legendary.
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

Iron Curtain is not a guaranteed hit, although I don't know if it uses the standard hit mechanics or something else...
aedn

Post by aedn »

I have AWC perks revealed and they act as a mini training roulette. As such my builds vary a bit but overall my gunner builds are based on mission types and alien numbers.

Large squad gunner: grazing fire - lockdown - demolition - chain shot - depends on AWC - CF.

Medium squad gunner : CM - shredder - IC/demo - chain shot - CuP - SF - rupture.

There are a lot of variables due to AWC perks, one of my Gunners has shadow strike and BEO, along with guardian, so he took both iron curtain and cool under pressure, and carries a couple of smoke grenades since he has rapid deployment. And a couple of my large squad gunner s have sentinel so took traverse fire.

I do not use hail of bullets at all, since my Gunners are on missions where alien numbers are always high.

Small squad missions with low alien count I do not use gunners on since that's the missions I run multiple assaults along with technicals.
Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

NoDebate wrote:All his ranged abilities are guaranteed to hit, useful when you're sitting at 83 Aim at MSGT (with Combat Fitness).
All my high rank gunners are sub 90 aim at MSGT. The product of a late GTS... :)