Liberate Region?

Share strategy and tips here.
whitelion1284

Liberate Region?

Post by whitelion1284 »

Hey all,

so I've managed to liberate my starting region but have no idea how to duplicate that success in other areas. Can anyone explain the mechanic to me or direct me to an existing explanation?

Thanks
Jj001

Re: Liberate Region?

Post by Jj001 »

1. Find a lead mission

2. Liberation missions

3. Network tower

4. Hq missions

These missions are given in the description

Also if you check the forums there are detailed posts on this topic.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Thanks. I've been looking for posts on the topic but it seems my google-fu is weak. But it's that simple? Lead followed by liberate missions?
trihero

Post by trihero »

The first mission in the chain is trickier to find than the rest because it doesn't say "liberation" in the objective. It's a hack mission with "Find a lead" in the objectives, and it does not have an intel package as a reward (there should only be "intel" as the reward).

There is one other hack mission that looks exactly like this first liberation mission and the reward is a UFO location. I don't think you can really distinguish between these, because they both say "find a lead" and both only have intel as a reward.

After you've done the first liberation mission, you should have one white dot next to that region in your global haven management screen; the dots track your liberation progress. The next missions in the chain are easy to identify because they say "liberation: something something" in the objectives. You do a couple of those, then the network tower pops up and it's the HQ after the network tower.
i64man

Post by i64man »

Does anyone how many enemies are on this mission? I try this mission before with an 8 man squad, with an infiltration of 200% and after 20+ killed enemies (not counting turrets) I got to the last building and there was another pot with like 8 more advent troops. Needless to say my half injured squad members didn't make it.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Anyone done a cost/benefit on liberating additional regions after the first one? Other than revealing the doom clock is the first one even necessary? Just curious.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Thanks. That helps a lot.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Rebus wrote:Anyone done a cost/benefit on liberating additional regions after the first one? Other than revealing the doom clock is the first one even necessary? Just curious.
Liberated regions have an income bonus to all jobs and can do stuff without retaliations, so they're good for supply production. They can get invaded, though.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Ah, ok, thanks! I figured it was something along those lines. I didn't see any results since I have no staff in my first one due to a failed resistance event. You'd need the supplies anyway to advance the story missions, I figured.
Sines

Post by Sines »

Liberating also kills off a decent chunk of global ADVENT strength, which is nice. While some of the power leaves to nearby territories, some of the power is just removed from ADVENTS global level. Also, the liberation mission itself gives you crap tons of loot. Corpses, supplies, alloys, elerium, you name it, you just got a ton of it.
trihero

Post by trihero »

I mean, cost/benefit of liberating heavily depends on your difficulty. If you're on legend, you might not liberate more than 1 territory due to how risky the lib missions can be.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Ah, I take both those good points. Global strength makes sense. I haven't had chance to play again since liberation so haven't observed the numbers yet, but will watch for that. I suppose there is an intentional feedback loop then, in which there is now an incentive to me to liberate a neighbouring region in the short-medium term before strength rebuilds.

I can imagine on high difficulty the HQ must be stressful. I can't imagine an Ironman run on high difficulty.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Global strength is ridiculous on legend, and liberating regions barely puts a dent in it. It goes up so fast that by the time you have resources to contact your 4th region, that 4th region likely has a baseline of strength 5 although you have done nothing there at all, and I think it's essentially impossible to avoid an invasion mission since strength 8-10 accumulate by august or so around your first base.

On the other hand, legend is beatable and invasion missions do allow you to collect corpses at least :lol: