Snap Shot?

Share strategy and tips here.
trihero

Re: Snap Shot?

Post by trihero »

I don't even like holo targeter sharpshooters anymore tbh. Death from above is just amazing for allowing you to take advantage of squad sight since it removes the penalty. I was taking 80% shots with a DFA sharpshooter while my holotargeter was staring at 40-50% shots from the same range, and that is not made up by the holo targeter. I make one holotargeter to be an officer, but so far even that's been mediocre since she's gotten wounded a couple times + officer training time means she's rarely seen action.
LeaderEnemyBoss

Post by LeaderEnemyBoss »

trihero wrote:I don't even like holo targeter sharpshooters anymore tbh. Death from above is just amazing for allowing you to take advantage of squad sight since it removes the penalty. I was taking 80% shots with a DFA sharpshooter while my holotargeter was staring at 40-50% shots from the same range, and that is not made up by the holo targeter. I make one holotargeter to be an officer, but so far even that's been mediocre since she's gotten wounded a couple times + officer training time means she's rarely seen action.
Death from above also pairs extremely well with stocks/steady weapon which raises the effective aim and damage of shooty snipers even more. Holotarget snipers need vital point targeting and aoe holo to become become really useful in a supportive manner, but a well statted shooty sniper is useful as soon as he gets death from above.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

The real issue about a DFA "nest" sniper is that if you don't find a good high ground quickly they loose a lot of efficiency while other builds don't rely on the map as much but yeah, when you have a favorable map DFA snipers are absolutely amazing.
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

Snap Shot Snipers are awesome for long-range flanking shots if you use the LW2 Tactical Suppressors mod. Just attach a suppressor to your weapon and take the Phantom perk. You can kill targets from concealment!
mr_j936

Post by mr_j936 »

Shinobi and 2 snipers on relay mission, hmm, I've never thought of that. I should try it
Snap Shot Snipers are awesome for long-range flanking shots if you use the LW2 Tactical Suppressors mod. Just attach a suppressor to your weapon and take the Phantom perk. You can kill targets from concealment!
There are also stuff like that for shinobis, but honestly, I think they break the game making it too easy. I wish there was something in between, like you break concealment, but they don't know exactly where you are...
Fanguru

Post by Fanguru »

Let's build a snapshooter:
Prereq:
good mobility and aim, decent hp so they can survive one shot. No abysmal defense either.

Perks:
- snap shot
- DGG (no good option)
- deadshot
- centre mass
- aggression
- hunter's instincts
- alpha mike foxtrot

Gear:
- talon ammo
- ablative
- pistol

Mods:
- scope
- auto-loader
- expended mag

You get a mobile, high aim, high damage, high crit soldier.
He can be used on any mission type, though he is outshined by a classic DFA/stock/serial sniper on supply raids, advent tower and HQ.

Add some pistol perks and you get a soldier who excells at all but extreme range.

Why not a gunner or ranger instead?
Snapshooter does not rely on cooldowns.
He gets more aim, crit and damage perks.
He has a slightly better range.

Gunners are fantastic all game long, so I build a lot of them, but I find the snapshooter complements them well and outscales the ranger.
wei270

Post by wei270 »

yeah two sharpshooter with double tap will kill the relay in 1 turn i don't know why you need the snap shot thought
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

mr_j936 wrote:Shinobi and 2 snipers on relay mission, hmm, I've never thought of that. I should try it
There are also stuff like that for shinobis, but honestly, I think they break the game making it too easy. I wish there was something in between, like you break concealment, but they don't know exactly where you are...
The Tactical Suppressors mod is not that cheesy. There is an increasing chance to break concealment after each killing shot. If you can't kill the target you will be revealed instantly. You break your concealment with every shot that you take at a relay or any other object (like Avenger defense beacon). This mod is a realistic tool, not a gamebreaker über-solution.

Snap Shot Snipers are very good in direct combat too. Just hold them behind the first line, and flank every target you can after enemy movement (scamper, panic moves, after the Technical's Roust, etc.). If you take the best ablative armor available and a few defensive perks or items (such as Low Profile, Tactical Vest, defensive AWC perks) and a few pistol abilities, your Sniper is more than capable at defending himself.
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

cerebrawl wrote:
Fanguru wrote:With a few pistol perks they can become quite strong. Fan fire -> lightning hands -> snap shot, that is a lot of damage in one turn.
They synergize well with a sapper grenadier and an officer giving them command.
This applies to everyone, except with any primary fire at the end of the chain.

In fact if you're using a sapper grenadier to break cover and issuing a command with an officer, the command should probably go to someone with an area attack, like a gunner with iron curtain, or assault with trench gunner; or heck, anyone with faceoff, or gunslinger, or killzone, etc.
Well, snipers have the highest aim so in that regard they make good pistoleers. Still though.