What rooms do you put on power coils?

Share strategy and tips here.
Jj001

What rooms do you put on power coils?

Post by Jj001 »

Hi there.
I was curious as to what room others put on power coils.

I usually put a power plant on the first coil, but i am not sure what room to put on the second. Is a lab the way to go?
Thank you!
Jacke

Re: What rooms do you put on power coils?

Post by Jacke »

In LW2, Power Relays are only the 3rd best choice for a Power Coil space. Coils provide 7 power if a Power Relay is built on them. However, a coil provides all the power needed by any other room on top of them.

In LW, an upgraded Shadow Chamber needs 14 power. A fully upgraded Laboratory needs 9 power. An upgraded Resistance Comms needs 7 power, which makes it the same as putting a Power Relay on a Coil.

More info here.

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 819#p32819
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

I put one power relay on one, and if both are in advantageous positions for the workshop I will put power relays on both. If not I will stick the psi-lab on the other power coil and eat it with a lower efficiency power coil somewhere else.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

As Jacke said, power relay isn't as good as you think in LW2. I used to build one and reserve the other one for the Shadow Chamber but i think i'll put the lab and Shadow Chamber in my current campaign.
However you also have to take into account short-term and long term gain. An early power relay on a power coil (if you have one easily accessible, which i don't, both being on 4th floor) can provide enough power to last for some time without upgrading the relay at a time where supplies are scarce.

So i would say keep one for the shadow chamber and depending on their location, either put a relay on the other one or keep it for the lab.
trihero

Post by trihero »

tldr: shadow chamber and lab because it saves you the most power
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Power-Relay on the first available Coil (slot is always located in the third Avenger row).. to accelerate upper-levels development with extra-facilities beyond GTS+AWC.
I find that i'll require any combination of at least; 1 Comm + 1 Workshop (into the middle of 2nd row to maximize Gremlins bonus) + 1 Laboratory + ProvingGrounds (SkullJack++!)... asap. Without that nearly immediate extra Power (essentially or hopefully provided by staffing just one or two spare engineers) -- everything seems much too stalled when spreading gameplay pace (and resources gathering too, btw) on the calendar until May/June.

The second Coil is usually on the fourth row & i certainly can't find any better use for it than the Shadow-Chamber.. once excavated -- the gameplay timing seems about right for it while even switching that need (with urgency or not in fact) for a fully staffed LAB doesn't really happen *IF* scientists aren't numerous enough to ultimately synchronize with the more important second COMM or another station for the first.

Engineers are (again) very precious to excavate anything in some reasonable time, to build the entire structure (one by one) & to staff the lonely Workshop (4 free Gremlins for two Engineers!).

PS; Remember this wicked formula; 12+32..=44.. !! Is all you'll need to get a fully developped Avenger -- luxury of a Defense-Matrix, THE Psi-Lab, a second "normal" Power-Relay & global coverage included. While you really should wish for the "HiddenReserves" CB & multiple POI gifts of +1PW.
cerebrawl

Post by cerebrawl »

The 2 day POIs for avenger power gives you +3, I recently restarted(again), but before that my avenger had over 70 power. UFO missions give +1 too.

It's not very difficult to end up with so much bonus power that you don't need ANY power relays. If you do most missions you'll eventually not need any rebel comms either. I kind of wish I could build multiple labs/proving grounds to make use of all that free space.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

Note a workshop also gives you the +7 power (+8 in total).

Yes, you ultimately get more efficiency from shadow chamber or other fully upgraded buildings but those will be fairly late game, when you are (probably) swimming in supplies anyway. I think it makes sense to put your workshop on one, saving yourself a generator in mid game, and use the other for a power-hungry building.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

gimrah wrote:Note a workshop also gives you the +7 power (+8 in total).
So putting the Workshop on a Power Coil has it produce 7 more power. Interesting, but I think the Workshop is best served to double up two Engineers by being on the 2nd row centre spot, as being deeper means excavating more before building the rooms around it. That spot almost never sees a Power Coil. Although if you use the mod Commander's OCD, you can tell it to put a Coil there.