Struggling at 2nd lowest difficulty

Share strategy and tips here.
Jj001

Struggling at 2nd lowest difficulty

Post by Jj001 »

Hi guys,
I just wanna day how much i love this forum and how supportive everyone is.
That being said, i am a veteran xcom player that can get by on legend in xcom 2 but am struggling on lw2. I keep losing to the avatar project.
I was hoping for suggestions on how to delay the clock.
Are there any reasearch projects i should aim for?
Thank you!
celeryman

Re: Struggling at 2nd lowest difficulty

Post by celeryman »

As time goes on, you'll see dark events pop up where you can pay a small intel fee to see what it is. You should be able to take a crack at missions where it counters a dark event from time to time; Any time you run into an avatar progress dark event you absolutely want to counter it. In the earlier parts of the game, not all avatar project progress dark events can be countered since you won't have the map coverage to get to all of them. That's why it's so important to counter the ones you can see, and pay intel costs to make sure you don't let any slip through by mistake.

You also want to keep your eyes peeled for leads on a dark site. Right now, in my game, the avatar project is at 9 or 10 out of 20 pips and I'm two resistance contacts away from being able to hit a dark site. I don't know how big of a blow a dark site attack sets it back, but doing that should definitely buy you some time. I haven't beaten LW2 yet but it seems to me that prioritizing avatar project disruption is the way to go.
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

There are several ways to delay the Avatar project:

1. Story missions (such as Blacksite, The Forge, Psionic gate). Each story mission completion will unmark a few pips on the counter.
2. Story events on regular missions (like skulljacking am ADVENT officer or a codex) can unmark a few pips too.
3. The destruction of alien Facilities. Regular missions and special hacking rewards can reveal alien such locations, each Facility has a few pips on it. Destroying them means a significant backstep for the aliens.
4. You can counter Dark Events related to the project, so it gains marks slower.

Contacting and liberating more Regions, destroying ADVENT legions, complete a lot of missions are also useful additions to your efforts - these are indirect methods to delay the Avatar project. As far as I know, you can't win by liberating all Regions, you must stop the project during the war.
Doglywolf

Post by Doglywolf »

Do missions that have "Intel package" as a reward.
These give you a chance to get a researchable facility site lead , research the lead and a facility appears on map.. Attack the Facility and it will remove 3+ ticks off avatar project.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Jj001 wrote:Hi guys,
I just wanna day how much i love this forum and how supportive everyone is.
That being said, i am a veteran xcom player that can get by on legend in xcom 2 but am struggling on lw2. I keep losing to the avatar project.
I was hoping for suggestions on how to delay the clock.
Are there any reasearch projects i should aim for?
Thank you!
You will want to listen to what the others have said, and also work to liberating your first region quickly :)

If strength shock builds up fast or you delay and strength goes from like... 4-6 like it just did for me lol, then move on and keep following leads and liberation. You want to have a free region for funds and at the same time track down those leads. Leads in a lot of missions are bonus rewards.