Well-rounded flamerish Technical build

Share strategy and tips here.
Goumindong

Re: Well-rounded flamerish Technical build

Post by Goumindong »

Jacke wrote:When putting Technicals on Haven Advisor, considering Rendezvous missions, do you tend to equip them with SMG's for the mobility and stealth, or do you go with Rifles or Shotguns for the greater mid or short-range damage?
I would not place a technical as a haven advisor. Rendezvous missions grant corpses and are also fairly easy. They feature neither difficult troop configurations nor large numbers of troops. Because of this you want mobile high damage troops more than you want AoE.

Gunners are OK to great (area suppression)/Cone AoE for opening/cover destruction

Rangers are pretty good(largely because they're not great elsewhere)

Assaults are good

Psions (for hunting specifically due to psionic bonus) are also not bad.

edit: That is to say i would almost always want to find a better use for a technical. At the very least waiting around for a heavy mission or retal or training them in the AWC
trihero

Post by trihero »

But you can have a technical as a haven adviser, and pull them out when you need to respond to a retal or 0% supply raid. I'm a big fan of technical advisers in the early game because they make the rendezvous mission much less risky. (hint: no other class can destroy cover at rank 0, and it's impossible to one shot a 12 hp faceless with your rocket so you don't risk losing corpses that way either).

I use rifles for rendezvous missions. SMG mobility is not an issue since you have all the time in the world. Shotgun is way too short range. Rifle helps with your initial overwatch ambush and shooting faceless from a distance.

As the game progresses, I put my highest ranked soldiers into new havens whether they are technicals or not - they weed out faceless faster, provide a recruiting bonus, and help against annoying retals. It's really helpful to have a ranger/assault in a haven you suspect will get intel-raided, for instance, since they can pretty easily murder the pod that is close to your relay. And you can always pull them out when you're about to go on a 0% raid or switch them out temporarily when you want to hit an HQ.
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

Yea i suppose that works if you want to micromanage your advisors.
Phrozehn

Post by Phrozehn »

Hey, does anyone know the .ini edit to increase the flamer range back to 1.0 levels? Can't seem to find the actual change, just references to it >.<
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Phrozehn wrote:Hey, does anyone know the .ini edit to increase the flamer range back to 1.0 levels? Can't seem to find the actual change, just references to it >.<
Go into XComGameData_WeaponData.ini in the mods Config folder and do a text search for Gauntlet_Secondary.

Anywhere it has a line for Gauntlet_Secondary_XXXX_RANGE = 7 (where XXX is either CONVENTIAL, MAG or BEAM), then change the number to 8. You'll notice COIL is in there too, but it doesn't exist in game (deprecated).