How exactly does Area Suppression work?

Share strategy and tips here.
Undershaft

How exactly does Area Suppression work?

Post by Undershaft »

Just beginning to see the incredible usefulness of Area Suppression. I'm not sure about one aspect, though.
Do you suppress a specific area istelf (if so: will enemies who enter a suppressed zone during their turn become subject to suppression?) or just the indicated people who are in said area at the time of skill activation? (If the latter is true: why do outlined enemies sometimes seem to be able to move out of the zone without the gunner taking a shot at them? I noticed that once or twice, and they weren't scouts if I remember correctly).
8wayz

Re: How exactly does Area Suppression work?

Post by 8wayz »

Area Suppression works on a group of targets, not a physical area. Hence why you see a debuff over each target instead of a marker for the area (like the rockets launched by Archons for example). Thus moving within the targeted zone will not incur a Suppression debuf, nor provoke a reaction shot.

If a unit moves while being suppressed, you have to consider whether it moves out of range of the Gunner as well. Retreating away from the Gunner (or the alien who is suppressing you) will negate the Suppression.
Undershaft

Post by Undershaft »

Thanks, that explains it. One followup question: When you say "Retreating away from the Gunner (or the alien who is suppressing you) will negate the Suppression", I assume you mean being at the very edge of the gunners firing range when area suppression is placed and stepping into a square that is not covered anymore? Or will you actually not get shot at at all as long as you move away from the supressor?
Another question: Does the Area Suppression zone indicator accurately show who will be affected or can you aim the ability at a target character who is *just* in range, with another character behind him standing in the radius-zone and becoming otlined in orange, but immune to reaction shots because he is not in firing range? If so, will such characters get a suppression accuracy debuff anyway, even though they can move without drawing fire?
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Suppression like most abilities works with sight range. It does not matter whether the target leaves the zone or not, if the Gunner loses sight of the enemy, Suppression will be negated. This happens mostly due to running in an opposite direction of that of the Gunner, but sometimes it might happen by just moving into cover and breaking line of sight.

Today I had a Trooper just on the edge of the Suppression zone, he moved into the fog of war, ran behind a truck and appeared on the other side of it. While technically still in the zone of suppression, he broke the line of sight and thus did not provoke a reaction shot.

Anyone in the Suppression zone will incur the Suppressed debuff. To my understanding no one is immune to it.

Reaction shots are dealt with on the Aliens' turn and are independent from the Suppressed debuff.
LeaderEnemyBoss

Post by LeaderEnemyBoss »

Also of note: Many players complained, that suppressions ovberwatch fire can be negated when moving out of the zone/into cover. The thing is: As long as the enemy doesnt draw overwatcxh fire, the debuff remains active. This is way enemies moving out "the smart way" can actually be better for the player, since they still dont hit anything, get to throw grenades etc..