Detecting Rendezvous Missions

Share strategy and tips here.
stefan3iii

Detecting Rendezvous Missions

Post by stefan3iii »

Simple question: Does changing the haven adviser reset progress towards detecting a rendezvous?

In my first campaign I was able to detect rendezvous consistently, though that was in 1.0. In subsequent campaigns, I've been micromanaging haven advisers, frequently swapping them out, and am in May and have only detected 1 rendezvous. Am I just unlucky, or do you need to leave a soldier in a haven to "build up" rendezvous detection?
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Re: Detecting Rendezvous Missions

Post by Devon_v »

stefan3iii wrote:Simple question: Does changing the haven adviser reset progress towards detecting a rendezvous?

In my first campaign I was able to detect rendezvous consistently, though that was in 1.0. In subsequent campaigns, I've been micromanaging haven advisers, frequently swapping them out, and am in May and have only detected 1 rendezvous. Am I just unlucky, or do you need to leave a soldier in a haven to "build up" rendezvous detection?
Just unlucky. Rendezvous is a mission just like all the others, the only difference is only soldiers can put intel into its detection pool. The pool occasionally resets however, so there's no guarantee that you'll ever find one. There's also an RNG component. My current campaign I found my first Faceless week 1.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

Devon_v wrote:
stefan3iii wrote:Simple question: Does changing the haven adviser reset progress towards detecting a rendezvous?

Just unlucky. Rendezvous is a mission just like all the others, the only difference is only soldiers can put intel into its detection pool. The pool occasionally resets however, so there's no guarantee that you'll ever find one. There's also an RNG component. My current campaign I found my first Faceless week 1.
Cool, thanks for the answer. I've have a haven with 4 people recruiting and no new recruits for... a long time. Time to stick a high level officer in there.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Note that officer ranks only add half as much as normal rank and there is diminishing return after IIRC Sergeant or Staff Sergeant so no need to put a Colonel as Advisor.
Aether

Post by Aether »

I have a different question related to Rendezvous missions: If a haven has multiple infiltrators, will completing the mission remove one faceless, all the faceless, or some random roll?

I've noticed that the missions themselves sometimes contain 1 faceless enemy or many but I didn't know if that reflected the actual number of infiltrators, or was simply added to make the mission more difficult.
trihero

Post by trihero »

I haven't seen the mission remove more than 2 faceless at once.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Aether wrote:I have a different question related to Rendezvous missions: If a haven has multiple infiltrators, will completing the mission remove one faceless, all the faceless, or some random roll?
I think there was a setting back in LW2 1.1 that kept at least one rebel out of Rendezvous, I think to prevent a complete wipe.

However, some of the rebels helping you in Rendezvous and other missions with armed rebels can later on turn out to be Faceless. They really rock staying in character undercover. In xwynns' LW2 campaign, one of the armed rebels in a Defend the Relay mission turned out to be a Faceless in a later Rendezvous mission.

And it can get really silly. Xwynns' LW2 video #48 "Wounds & Stories" showing a Haven defence had 5 of its 8 unarmed rebels turn out to be Faceless.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Well yes retaliation missions can remove all the faceless in your haven if you reveal them, but rendezvous I'm pretty sure there's a hard cap of 2 removed, even if you wind up killing 4 faceless monsters (which can happen in the late stages of the game).
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

trihero wrote:even if you wind up killing 4 faceless monsters (which can happen in the late stages of the game).
Yes, late game, some of those start the mission as faceless rather than civilians which is probably a good indication that they were not rebels in disguise.
I had an 8 guys Rendezvous with only the first 3 ADVENT pod and the rest being 5 faceless! Haven wasn't even that big and i still had rebels at the end. Not sure where those faceless come from, maybe ADVENT have spies in multiple groups around (you're probably not the only hidden group in the wilderness) and they were all gathering to exchange information.