Haven Advisor Soldiers

Share strategy and tips here.
Jacke

Haven Advisor Soldiers

Post by Jacke »

As trihero has pointed out, dedicated Haven Advisor soldiers should be based on being LCpl or at most Cpl rank, with eventually 2Lt officer rank. Might be able to rank them up further, but maybe not.

Anyhoo, in my current campaign, I've going with Technicals. Here's a build for them, possibly to share with squad Technicals. As usual, I'm uncertain about some picks. Those with '/' I'm inclined to pick the first perk but am wondering about going with the second.

Technical Haven
Roust / Suppression / Fire in the Hole - Biggest Booms - Shredder / Burnout - Tandem Warheads - Fire and Steel - Salvo - Rapid Fire

I'm not sure how well a single Suppression will work in most Haven battles. But Roust may only do 20% of the damage of a regular flame shot, but it goes a loooong way. With damage upped by Fire and Steel, it could be a useful extra tool. But if neither work out, then Fire in the Hole is a good substitute. Otherwise I picked skills for boosting grenade, rocket, and primary damage.

After an early March Rendezvous mission in a previous campaign tested a Squaddie Ranger who did well, I though Rangers might be good.

Ranger Haven
Walk Fire - Locked On / Pump Action - Cool Under Pressure - Grazing Fire - Ever Vigilant - Rapid Fire / Rapid Reaction - Rupture

It's almost identical to how I'd build a squad Ranger. Go with Walk Fire instead of Covering Fire because I definitely think it would be better for a LCpl or Cpl leading Rebels. Thinking about getting rid of those Faceless make me consider Pump Action for short-range finishers. Problem with Ranger Haven Advisor is that the only pod cracker is grenade or rifle shot combined with Rebels on Overwatch.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Re: Haven Advisor Soldiers

Post by Devon_v »

I personally never use Techs for advisors because the big thing about the Rendezvous mission is easy access to corpses and loot, all of which is destroyed by most of the Technical's weaponry.

I don't build anything special for advisors, I find that a general purpose killing-oriented trooper does just fine. The rebels aren't that bad since you aren't going up against anything too numerous or nasty. They'll all be packing an assortment of grenades, you really don't want to use explosives on M1s and 2s, and smokes and flashbangs should be more than enough crowd control.

Ranger is my favorite class and I only build them one way:
Walk Fire-> Pump Action-> Center Mass-> Executioner-> Formidable-> Rapid Fire-> Rupture. Pure aim and damage. On Rendezvous there's only two pods and one doesn't move so flanks are 100% safe after a moment of scouting. Both Barrels is absolutely amazing and makes almost everything in the game a non-issue. Once you have Lasers and Center Mass, Walk Fire basically auto-kills all M1s in low cover and probably gets them in high, too. You roll the dice on Light 'em Up, then take your kill shot. Often you'll take two a turn just with the Ranger. Most rebels can take a hit from an M1 mag rifle, too, so you don't have to baby them. Injuries don't do anything to them.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Devon_v wrote:I personally never use Techs for advisors because the big thing about the Rendezvous mission is easy access to corpses and loot, all of which is destroyed by most of the Technical's weaponry.
Problem is Haven Advisors have to fight the other Haven missions, like the retaliations both mini and not-so-mini, raids, and invasions. I'm thinking something with more boom than a Ranger is needed.
trihero

Post by trihero »

I personally never use Techs for advisors because the big thing about the Rendezvous mission is easy access to corpses and loot, all of which is destroyed by most of the Technical's weaponry.
In practice, they rarely destroy loot. Your rocket cannot kill 12 hp faceless in one shot (unless you do something weird and take like mkiii rockets with max perks, not happening any time soon). And in practice, if you have to fire your rocket to kill that officer or trooper hiding in high cover, it's actually worth the safety of your one-shottable teammates. Notice I said if there, you can totally get by with throwing smokes/flashbangs and not having to blow up their corpses, with a technical.

Just because the technical's weaponry can destroy bodies doesn't mean it actually happens if you play properly, and the upside is safety.

I will say however that I don't focus on technical advisers in the mid to late game, I just stick whoever is the highest rank to weed them out faster because you can always just recall the adviser at the last second to go do a new mission.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

But if you're not using the gauntlet, why bother with a Technical?

Personally I don't bother with retaliations, either I blitz the liberation chain, or I keep a low profile in the region so that I never get retaliated against. If an invasion is immanent, and you can see them coming by watching ADVENT strength, I can transfer anyone I need into the haven. I'd still be bringing my Rangers either way, so it doesn't matter if they were on the ground or arrived on the Skyranger.

Edit: Does the advisor spawn with the rebels on a mini-retal? I could see a Tech being useful in that case.
Last edited by Devon_v on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Devon_v wrote:But if you're not using the gauntlet, why bother with a Technical?

Personally I don't bother with retaliations, either I blitz the liberation chain, or I keep a low profile in the region so that I never get retaliated against. If an invasion is immanent, and you can see them coming by watching ADVENT strength, I can transfer anyone I need into the haven. I'd still be bringing my Rangers either way, so it doesn't matter if they were on the ground or arrived on the Skyranger.
Wait what? I never said I'm not using the gauntlet. I will totally rocket officers/troopers behind high cover to kill or expose them, and I will totally rocket 2-3 faceless to weaken them, that's quite a damage contribution. The point is the rocket isn't going to kill the faceless in one hit so this concern about losing bodies is entirely too theoretical in nature, I suggest you simply try in practice then come back and make an informed judgment.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

I meant the ADVENT corpses, which are worth alloy or supplies, and the loot drops they all tend to carry. The rockets and flamer will easily destroy those. I did have a Tech as an advisor on my first campaign, and she was basically another rookie on Rendezvous because otherwise I was throwing away free and easy loot. I started using Sharpshooters and rapid targeting for the rebels, but eventually I just switched to a Ranger because it was really easy to just let the patrol pod walk into the rebels and die to a Firaxis Ambush, then flash the second pod, Light 'em Up or Both Barrels the Faceless into the dirt, and mop up.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Devon_v wrote:I meant the ADVENT corpses, which are worth alloy or supplies, and the loot drops they all tend to carry. The rockets and flamer will easily destroy those. I did have a Tech as an advisor on my first campaign, and she was basically another rookie on Rendezvous because otherwise I was throwing away free and easy loot. I started using Sharpshooters and rapid targeting for the rebels, but eventually I just switched to a Ranger because it was really easy to just let the patrol pod walk into the rebels and die to a Firaxis Ambush, then flash the second pod, Light 'em Up or Both Barrels the Faceless into the dirt, and mop up.
I'm going to repeat myself it's the same point over and over but it's fine, if I have to rocket an advent and lose his corpse/loot, it's OK because safety is first. That's my whole motivation, safety is first. Losing those rebels can really slow you down. Flashing the second pod doesn't guarantee 0% shots against you, but rocketing/exposing that officer and killing him lowers the risk considerably, and many times the enemy is entrenched in an awkward position where they're hiding behind high cover so if you just use conventional shots you can spend quite a while trying to dig them out, while taking return shots.

Usually, I don't have to use a rocket on the advent. I use the Firaxis (beaglerush) ambush myself on the first group ( no need to flamethrower, or I can if I want once their hp is more than 4 or 5 whatever the upper bound is), so no loot lost there. I typically use a rocket to weaken the faceless/expose the cover, which is a huge help in terms of dps.

I'm ok with occasionally losing 1 corpse/1 loot, the tradeoff being I rarely if ever lose rebels even when they give me a stupid situation like 1-2 rebels. It's not like I'm losing 6/6 advent corpses to rockets every rendezvous, not by far.

Also as time goes on, rockets have less and less ability to OKO advent when you don't upgrade the rocket (which I don't for adviser technicals) since their hp goes up.
Gothyc

Post by Gothyc »

I like using high ground, stock rifle sharpshooters as haven advisors. There is no timer, so you can always set up an ambush from an elevated position.

For the second pod, I use an SMG rebel to lure them into my positions. SMG dude wakes up the pod, then double times it back to the rest of your group. I always have the sharpshooters be officers as well, so Command ability helps there. Only drawback is if you snipe the enemy from too far away, it can be a challenge to collect dropped loot. I usually send out the SMG rebel to collect as well, as long as they can get into full cover after.

Alternately, I've used officered swordmaster shinobi to great effect. Usually these are low aim, low mobilty guys that I dont want in my normal squads.
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

Shinobi. I rip them off liaison detail when I need something infiltrated. Even a stealth-specced Shinobi works well on rendezvous missions because all you need is Fleche to dart around knocking out ADVENT soldiers while your resisties deal with the Faceless.
evilbend0r

Post by evilbend0r »

In my first real playthrough i tested Assaults as Haven Advisors. Overall they are great - doing great dmg in a big radius.
Big negative point - opening everything and every where when rushing forward. For my actual playthrough it didnt matter not that much guess cause on playing a low difficulty, as long as you have enough rebels with you. While killing the first pack flashing the second one and faceless were to far away to do damage in their first move. Next round killing the one or two faceless .. having a mec helps here a lot to get them on low hp with AOE skill ...

Guess Ranger is the better option for higher difficulties unless you have more enemies activating all with a rushing assault is not really healthy ... Technic Guy in my opinion is one of the worst options i guess ... as long as you can loot bodies theres would be only benefit bring faceless down on low hp with before killing them ... for "weapon kills" ranger will be better

So far my thoughts :geek:
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Jacke wrote:Problem is Haven Advisors have to fight the other Haven missions, like the retaliations both mini and not-so-mini, raids, and invasions. I'm thinking something with more boom than a Ranger is needed.
Which is why i find --Sharpshooters-- to be an optimal choice since the entire group of Rebels deploy far away & in remote locations from the assigned regular Squad. By the time these Raids start to happen.. the Long-Range squadsight edge is VERY useful. :)
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Zyxpsilon wrote:
Jacke wrote:Problem is Haven Advisors have to fight the other Haven missions, like the retaliations both mini and not-so-mini, raids, and invasions. I'm thinking something with more boom than a Ranger is needed.
Which is why i find --Sharpshooters-- to be an optimal choice since the entire group of Rebels deploy far away & in remote locations from the assigned regular Squad. By the time these Raids start to happen.. the Long-Range squadsight edge is VERY useful. :)
I'm thinking you must have meant a Sharpshooter in the squad, when at first I thought you meant as Advisor. From watching Haven missions like the job defences in xwynns campaign (still about a month behind) the Advisor starts out with some of the rebels well separated from the squad. And a serious ADVENT pod or two almost on top of them. I'm thinking for the Advisor Technical, Grenadier, Shinobi, or Assault, even a Ranger or Gunner. If possible a Sharpshooter or 2 in the squad, but the squad usually has to tussle with a couple of close pods themselves.

Would be interested in hearing stories about Haven missions (on what difficulty) from others to see what happened to them.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Yeah from my experience, it is super super helpful to bring sharpshooters on the squad that comes to the rescue, but less so as the adviser itself.

I've had so many intel raids where I bring in a sharpshooter and just whack the pod attacking the relay from 3 screens away. They aren't even trying to avoid flanking shots from your sharpshooter who is that far away, so you can easily get 100% shots. You better have DFA though or the squadsight penalty severely reduces your ability to help from that range.

My personal recommendation when you are at the stage of the game where retals are are an issue, is to station experienced assaults in havens. They can easily flank/one shot just about anything per turn that shows up near the relay, while your rebels provide flashbangs/smokes/distractions. Technicals are workable too because they blow out the cover for your rebels to do some actual damage. I've even occasionally used the stun gun when I faced an andromedon that severely out teched my rebels/assault, delaying for the main squad to nail it.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Nope.. i really meant as (early to mid game) ADVISOR. :lol:

After that, the whole dynamic of possible missions warrants variety or optimal Classes beyond SharpShooting skills alone.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

I've tested a number of classes either as main or temporary advisors and so far my favorites are Techs and Assaults. Both have good AoE attacks (Trench gun is only Cpl rank). I tend to get more wounds with Rangers on Rendezvous as the first fight can drag long enough for the second pod to come to the rescue (it's usually 1 turn, 2 at most before the noise draws them to your position) so you really want to obliterate the first pod in one turn and not have to control them with a flashbang. The sawed-off is perfect to take those faceless who just ran up to you thought. I never tested a sword Shinobi but it could certainly make sense given the low level opposition.

I don't think planning skills further than Staff Sergeant makes sense. Advisors probably won't level further on their own and taking them on missions to level them instead of your main soldiers is counter-productive. My Advisors are usually built this way :
  • Technical : Fire in the Hole - Napalm-X - Burnout - Formidable. if i use the rocket, i want it to reach it's target. Napalm-X helps in addition to burn for crowd control. Burnout and Formidable helps you survive on Retaliations.
  • Assault: Electroshock - Trench Gun - Killer Instinct/Stun Gunner - Extra Conditioning. Electroshock allows you to control a target 100% every other turn, Trench Gun is your main opener or can be used with R&G later. Killer Instinct-Extra Conditioning go well together for more punch. Stun Gunner makes the stungun really accurate.
  • Ranger: Close and Personal - Pump Action - Center Mass - Grazing Fire. C&P with pump Action gives some really high close range damage, enough to take many big targets out in one shot. I'm not convinced by Walk Fire, damage is really low and apart from finishing wounded enemies is usually not enough. Grazing Fire will fill the same role on every shot at SSgt. I focus on taking the faceless ASAP since they are by far the most dangerous (even if they miss you after being flashbanged, they will destroy your cover and make you an easy target for the ADVENT troopers)
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

My favorite advisor is the Assault: you can Trench Gun the roaming pod (or just sit really close in a beaglerush maneuver), then when the faceless come, Stun works wonders since they're in the open. Plus you don't have to worry about revealing pods when using R&G.

Still decent on the retaliations.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Early game with Snipers. With stock, holotargeter or high ground perk and lonewolf if have. Instakill the first enemy and go on meanwhile the rebels entertain them with flashbangs, low damage grenades, smoke, high cover and hunkering.

Death from above + stock + lonewolf usually mean 1 free kill per turn.