Early missions with short timers, a failing strategy

Share strategy and tips here.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Re: Early missions with short timers, a failing strategy

Post by chrisb »

Right, essentially it would take 8 missions, but you would be guaranteed a level up every mission.

What this also means is that there is going to be a slight power drop in the early game as right now this bug is giving rookie way too much XP especially if they are on a mission with someone who is CPL+.
CasualGamer

Post by CasualGamer »

So does this bug arise for any rookie on any mission with any higher rank? (i.e. match rookies xp to higher soldier, all be it one level up per mission given) or does it only arise under some conditions, say failing a mission?

It's a pretty big bug ☺
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

It doesn't need to be a failed mission, and it doesn't even need to be rookies - this is the same bug that causes soldiers purchased at the black market to level up super fast, according to tracktwo.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

fowlJ wrote:It doesn't need to be a failed mission, and it doesn't even need to be rookies
Doh, i've had some TSgts and GSgts complete several missions with MSgts and not get any promotion so there are situations where it doesn't trigger.
Maybe it only triggers on the first mission for soldiers who never got any XP in the campaign.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

Wait, that basically means, I can't avoid exploiting this bug, unless I take people with the same rank each mission, correct?
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

No, the bug doesn't have to do with mixed ranks, it has to do with "new" soldiers on their first mission.

You can't avoid the bug, but your not really exploiting it if your taking a soldier on their first mission in a squad that you would normally take that soldier. That soldier will just get a pile of pre-assigned xp + their share from the mission itself.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Do you know whether this applies to rookies previously promoted in the GTS or not?
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Not specifically, depends on whether the bug has to do with the soldier having 0 missions. If so then it would, but I haven't tested it out.
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

chrisb wrote:Not specifically, depends on whether the bug has to do with the soldier having 0 missions. If so then it would, but I haven't tested it out.
Soldiers who have not gone on missions do not have a value stored in their experience slot. At the start of a mission they're given the amount of XP of the character ahead of them in the order. So if you stick them behind a MSGT they will level up every mission until they're MSGT.

edit: Likely happens like so. Game assigns a set memory location for levelup and does levelups in sequence. So the game grabs the first character, puts their XP into memory, adds mission and kill xp, and calculates a levelup. Then the game goes and grabs the next character which has no value in its XP interger so nothing gets written to the memory location. Thus it still contains the other units xp value. Mission and kill xp are added and it calculates a levelup...
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

In my experience though, I don't think it works on soldiers who have been promoted to squaddie through the GTS. That seems to correctly allocate the right amount of experience to make them a squaddie. The bug only appears on Rookies who have never been on a mission, or on soliders purchased from the Black Market, as they still have an empty value for the XP.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

All right, I 'll just look at it as if my high ranking soldiers were extremely good teachers.
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

Goldenmonkey wrote:All right, I 'll just look at it as if my high ranking soldiers were extremely good teachers.
It will be fixed soon. The diff between rookie and squadie isn't that big so if you only put your rookies behind lower lever troops there isn't much impact on the game